Can I fix a warped neck using the truss rod? Or am I gonnna need a totally new neck? (I would take it to professionals for adjustment)
when i got my bass the neck was all warped but yer just get the truss rod sorted it should worked, u'll have to mess with the action for while tho, but it worked for me... its a bummer tho huh!
Well the funny thing is I took it into the shop because i got major frett buzz, and they adjusted the truss rod, nowmy instructor who knows his ****, says it warped, I myself never touch the truss rod, but a music store did. Now I meen is it possible i did something to it between the time of getting it adjusted and my lessons? Or did the music shop just do a bad job(which i doubt). Anyway I was under the impression that if your neck is warped that it unsalvagable. Im pretty confused im a fairly new bass player. So can it be fixed or am I gonna end having to buy a completely new neck?
It depends how it is warped. I have a bass with a warped neck. The acton is not great at all. When I adjust it so that it is more easier to play, it buzzes like crazy. So I've had to make a fine balance. It doesn't help that the thread of thr truss rod is worn away. I have to slightly hammer in the truss rod to get a good grip (danagerous I know!).

Once a neck is warped in an unsalvagle way, then a new neck is in order.

Try to balance the truss rod action with the saddle height to get a playable action without fret buzz. Work with the saddle height first. Or take it back to that music shop and ask they take a look at it.
How can I tell if my neck is too warped for repair I've seen my friend look down the bass neck like its a rifle. but I dont really know what Im looking for?
Quote by SnuffdaCrimDog
How can I tell if my neck is too warped for repair I've seen my friend look down the bass neck like its a rifle. but I dont really know what Im looking for?

That's indeed the way one checks for warp. What your friend did was looking over the fretboard from a very shallow angle, so all the frets were very close together in his line of sight. This way he could easily see that the frets were not neatly parallel but were lined up in something that can be described as a small section of a very long helix. Check for yourself. If you can't see it, it's not there.
Like Shut-you- up says: a slightly warped neck doesn't necessarily render a guitar useless. If you look over the headstock in the direction of the body and you see the twist is in a clockwise direction, chances are that that you can still dial in a set up that makes for a good intonation and a workable action. When the twist is counterclockwise, the tolerances are considerabily less. I still would try, though.
Correcting this problem is not impossible, but it will take a skilled luthier quite some time to do it. Replacing the complete neck doesn't come cheap either, so it all depents on how valuable your bass is.
Last edited by Marcel Veltman at Jun 3, 2006,
When my instructor metioned then warping he didnt seem to make a huge deal about it, he just told me to bring it next time hell straighten it. Im sure that meens its fine.
Quote by SnuffdaCrimDog

When I do that, I look at the shadows the strings casts on the fretboard. The curvature of the shadow indictates the curvature of the neck.

Hopefully it just needs some minor correcting, that way your tutor can do it for you, and perhaps you could ask him what to look for and what to do about it. Basic maintenance of your instrument is a good skill to have a firm grasp of.
If you have a warped neck (on your Bass that is) there is very little to be done, if it is a cheap bass then it is not worth spending money on it, if it is upmarket it is unlikely that it will warp anyway, unless of course it is/has been kept in unsuitable conditions ie left leaning on a radiator etc.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn