I've been looking at speakers to put in my cabs and I've come across 3 Celestion speakers that have caught my ear: The G12H, the V30's and the G12-T75. The G12H's sound AMAZING, but I'm worried that I won't be able to crank my amp since they're vintage. The V30's and G12-T75's sound great also, but I just don't hear what I hear with the G12H's. The G12-T75 sounds good, but just doesn't have that sound the G12H does and the V30's sound muddy to me. I just keep coming back to the G12H's. Any input?
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Last edited by Ambulance X at Jun 1, 2006,
The G12Hs will be fine. Hendrix only blew a couple.
What head are you using, just out of curiosity?
JCM2000 DSL50. I tried it through a couple of cabs today with those speakers earlier and I just kept coming back to the cab with the G12H's. The G12H's just sounded so clear to me and so much better than the G12-T75s and the V30s. In fact, the V30s sounded muddy compared to the G12H's.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
The 75s are the worst speakers ever designed (given their price).. They're extremely harsh in the top end IMO V30s are OK but rather bland, plus they have a very strange mid range that doesn't sound all that natural for cleans (but for high gain rock is great.) G12Hs are extremely nice but a tad bright if you're not careful. They're my choice for almost every application (from celestion) bar those which require a darker speaker. As for cranking them: they'll take it. As long as you don't put more power than they can take into them they'll be fine, in fact when pushed they sound very nice.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
The Eminence Governor is considered a superior clone to the V30's, so look into those maybe?
I've only tried the V30's. I agree with PF that they're a bit over rated when it comes to cleans. The dirty is good with them though.

For the price though, Eminence is the way to go. They sound awesome and are built like tanks. Made in the US with a 7 year warranty

EDIT:
And I've got one of those Eminence Red Coat "The Governor" speakers in my Classic 30. Really sweet speaker, smooth highs and a really satisfying bass response.

Of course with all speakers though, YMMV depending on all sorts of other factors.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.