Page 1 of 2
Has anyone here actually done it? I've got an old beater lying around, and wanted to do it right the first time (since I'll probably only have one go at it). I'm guessing the strings get hot, and I want to play it (or at least hit the strings and use the whammy) while it's burning. So...anyone have tips? I won't be doing it for a while, but I'll post pics when I do.

Which part do I light? the body seems obvious but I would imagine that a burning headstock would look pretty awesome and would actually be playable for a bit while on fire.
Are you thinking how Hendrix did it? Cuz I know he used a LOT or lighter fluid. Then just lit it and swung away.
if i ever had enough money lying around to just burn a guitar .... i still wouldnt do it, same way id never smash one, just doesn't seem right to me
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
dude i really would like to see a video of that, just make sure if ur planning on playing it while its lit, that u dont have any lighter fluid or baggy clothes on man, cuz if i see u die, im gonna be upset.
Lol, I'm planning on doing that... I've got a very old and very bad acoustic that I'm using as a trash can in my backseat right now... I'm gonna light it on fire and run around with it like a torch. Can't wait.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Won't the strings break? Because once I accidentilly held a lighter to my high E and it broke. Is there some special way to do this?
You can't play a guitar while its on fire, the strings will melt and you will get burnt.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
If its a strat, i would say to light the top horn on fire, and hold it slighly away from yourself.

Edit: Dang, forgot about the strap.
Quote by E Daws
You can't play a guitar while its on fire, the strings will melt and you will get burnt.

Definitely won't melt. They definitely have too high a melting point to melt from a simple fire like that. You may get burned from them heating up though. Or from the fire itself if you just suck.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by HazeD
dude i really would like to see a video of that, just make sure if ur planning on playing it while its lit, that u dont have any lighter fluid or baggy clothes on man, cuz if i see u die, im gonna be upset.

Fire will only burn the lighter fluid, not you.
It might burn some clothers though.
@Zofar: There, you want you a ballsy idea, light you strap on fire. THAT would be hardcore (until your skin carbonized).

I wouldn't simply because I'm not burning the seatbelt guitar strap... oh how awesome it is.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

a friend and i were going to do it with some **** ass 200 dollar guitar he has lyin around, i sugest you do it and film it otherwise you arent harcore
Anyone who would purposely destroy an instrument for no reason other than the fact that they can is an asshole in my book.

Roc, I seriously hope you scorch your fingertips and can't play guitar anymore.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
Anyone who would purposely destroy an instrument for no reason other than the fact that they can is an asshole in my book.

Roc, I seriously hope you scorch your fingertips and can't play guitar anymore.

Thanks. The reason I'm destroying it is that it's unplayable. Warped neck, frets almost gone, buzzes like hell. This thing needs to be put down, so I want to give it a proper send-away. Like when I die I want to be packed with gunpowder, lit on fire, and launched into the great wall of china.
Oh...well if it's unplayable and worthless for anything but firewood, torch the bugger.

I thought it was still fully playable, but if it's trashed beyond repair you might as well.

And your funeral will be ****ing awesome if you actually get someone to do that.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by adhuv
strings will snap.

just set it on fire and smash it up like Baroness Jimi Hendrix did

That's the plan
And the whammy still kind of works, so I think I'll just do an open tuning and then just strum and divebomb with gloves on. I'll put some heavy strings on so they don't break as quickly.
Be sure to get video of it! WE WANT TO SEE!
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by adhuv
do it naked as well

Well, that's just about the weirdest fetish I've ever heard of.
if your planning on burning your guitar naked(as you probaby are), keep that sucker away from your balls, and your your p3nis, your might burn/screw up/damage/destroy more than your guitar
Quote by Roc8995
Well, that's just about the weirdest fetish I've ever heard of.

its not a fetish...it would just make the experience funnier for you and crowd.

this reminds me of the time when my friends parents made my mate who plays guitar play in front of their family (you know as parents embarrasingly do).

he came down naked and played gaybar.

his parents cried
Quote by zeppelin68
if your planning on burning your guitar naked(as you probaby are), keep that sucker away from your balls, and your your p3nis, your might burn/screw up/damage/destroy more than your guitar

MIGHT?!

Will!
Quote by Roc8995
Thanks. The reason I'm destroying it is that it's unplayable. Warped neck, frets almost gone, buzzes like hell. This thing needs to be put down, so I want to give it a proper send-away. Like when I die I want to be packed with gunpowder, lit on fire, and launched into the great wall of china.

awww, don't justify yourself to that guy. That guy made such a douche bag comment. Anywaaaay, be sure to post pics becasue a flaming guitar is pretty high up there on the badass meter. Esspecialley if you are playing a solo on it whilst on fire.
youre going to get 3rd degree burns haha. Also try loading up the neck humbucker of a cheap Les Paul copy with a smoke bomb and light it while youre busting out a lead like Ace Frehley
Quote by zeppelin68

That made my day Zep...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Dyne
awww, don't justify yourself to that guy. That guy made such a douche bag comment. Anywaaaay, be sure to post pics becasue a flaming guitar is pretty high up there on the badass meter. Esspecialley if you are playing a solo on it whilst on fire.

Getting called a douchebag from a HIM fan is a complement.

And where my comment came from is the fact that there are millions of kids out there who will never have the chance to express themselves through music because they can't get an instrument. I would much rather donate a working instrument to an orphanage or charity than burn it.

I'm perfectly fine with him burning an instrument that doesn't work though.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
Getting called a douchebag from a HIM fan is a complement.

And where my comment came from is the fact that there are millions of kids out there who will never have the chance to express themselves through music because they can't get an instrument. I would much rather donate a working instrument to an orphanage or charity than burn it.

I'm perfectly fine with him burning an instrument that doesn't work though.

Ah, now see, I agree with you wholeheartedly now that I see the context. How it was it sounded just like... you thought all instruments were sacred and only to be touched by the worthy. I would have said something but somebody else already had

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

youll need something that burns at a low temperature or the strings will melt. ask metallica and there stray fireworks.

even if it does melt then that would be cool ... except for the part where your hands get burnt .... wear oven mits
wear an oven mit over your p3nis and balls just in case...

if your going to burn it... make sure your using the proper excellerante... oil, kerosine, lighter fluid, all burn like crazy, and you'll be up in flames.. find something that burns slowly, so the fire will be at a controllable level, for sometime...
Couldn't you put something on the strings to keep it from burning so quickly? Maybe wrap the section of the strings at the headstock in something that doesn't burn easy... yeah.

Anyways, be sure to post pictures.
Quote by SteveHouse
Ah, now see, I agree with you wholeheartedly now that I see the context. How it was it sounded just like... you thought all instruments were sacred and only to be touched by the worthy. I would have said something but somebody else already had

Nope, I look at it like this-If a person wants to learn to play an instrument, that's great. They should be able to have an instrument to learn on-no matter who they are.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Guys...I've found the solution. I made some iron thermite last year, which is basically a hard metal paste which burns very hot, very bright for a few seconds. I'm going to cover the headstock in it. I'll douse the strings in kerosene and light them on fire. I'm hoping that the fire will travel up the strings and ignite the thermite, turning the headstock into a giant matchstick. The best part about this plan is I can do it a bunch of times, provided the molten iron doesn't weaken the headstock too much. I also found a good pair of flame-retardant gloves. Yes, I like fire.
your gonna put thermite on it?.. that stuff is used to like ****ing melt railroad ends together, i hope your dumbass dies now
Quote by Roc8995
Guys...I've found the solution. I made some iron thermite last year, which is basically a hard metal paste which burns very hot, very bright for a few seconds. I'm going to cover the headstock in it. I'll douse the strings in kerosene and light them on fire. I'm hoping that the fire will travel up the strings and ignite the thermite, turning the headstock into a giant matchstick. The best part about this plan is I can do it a bunch of times, provided the molten iron doesn't weaken the headstock too much. I also found a good pair of flame-retardant gloves. Yes, I like fire.

are you not listening nickle will melt at a relitivly low temperature. so you will only get 1 run and the strings will melt off. at least the bottom 3
Page 1 of 2