Wasnt sure where to put this, so Ill just put it here since the chord progression is in question and that has to do with theory :P

http://www.wgmd.com/SOUNDS/FEATURES/051706-petty.mp3

If you dont want to listen to it, its about a radio show saying that the Red Hot Chili Peppers "Dani California" is a copy of Tom Petty's "Mary Jane's Last Dance"
It's seems like a pretty big Coincidence but i doubt the red hot Chili peppers intentionnaly ripped that song off. I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find plenty of songs that are similar like Dani California and Mary Jane's last dance. Possible a black metal song, They all seem to sound the same haha.
...:::The Master Chief :::...
there was already an article on it

and the chord progression is exactly the same

theyre the kind of band thats the reason i listen to opeth
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
honestly. this is crap.

they do sound a bit alike but why would one of the most established bands in the world right now purposly copy a song. They're so original and creative.

We've all made songs or played riffs that sound like others but we came up wit them on our own.
There are only so many chord progressions in the universe... I don't see Lynyrd Skynyrd making a big deal out of it when somebody uses D-C-G like their "Sweet Home Alabama."
Looking for my India/Django.
tbh i have heard both of the songs a hundred times, so what.

what is it?

Am, G, D, Am..

3 chord song, the chorus's are complety different.. and the vocal melody isn't even the same.

"Last dance with mary jane, one more time to kill the paaaiiiane"
"California rest in peace"

so wtf?

Tom petty is actually playing open chords, John Frusciante is playing the chords on the fret board.

The bass is different :/

I think the RHCP have proven that they can write hit song time after time.. and i kinda think the chorus is what makes Dani California a great song.. not the verse anyway :/

Plus, you can't steal a chord progression. The guys just a dumbass.

And wtf? lmao Tom Petty is singing about weed, not a girl.. what a moron
this is stupid you can't steal a chord progression.. those guys are idiots!
My Gear-
Gibson SG Junior
52' Hot Rod Tele
American Deluxe Strat
Yamaha Cg-104
Fender Twin (white)
Boss CH1
Boss OC-3
DOD overdrive
Fulltone OCD
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Vox Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Univibe
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/red_hot_chili_peppers_accused_in_plagiarism.html
^ you can find over 400 comments on the topic there. as a CC, i read most of those comments, and let me tell you, youll find some interesting stuff in there. have fun, take your time, and im sick of the topic and want it to go away.
Quote by redwing_suck
There are only so many chord progressions in the universe... I don't see Lynyrd Skynyrd making a big deal out of it when somebody uses D-C-G like their "Sweet Home Alabama."

Dang straight. There's a reason you can't copyright chord progressions.