ok.

I know this is going to sound stupid but...

up until today I hae never bothered to even think about getting into Yes.

I dunno I just havn't had the time.

But today I hear the song Roundabout on the radio. ( I know its probably like the stairway to heaven of yes but whatever live with it) I fell in love wth it. I want more.

but I need help what album should I start off with? I realy have no knowledge of Yes whatsoever so please someone point me into a good direction.
Quote by Brothers_In_Arms
The Darkness are kind of a classic rock band, despite being a current band, so i though id put it here.
^^talk to me on AIM, I'll get you started
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
some other fairly mainstream tracks: "i've seen all good people..." and "owner of a lonely heart (kinda beat off, they rep bop it noises)" i like "starship trooper" and "The fish" personally
There's a 95% chance what was written above here was very stupid
roundabout's is really the only one ive heard.. but ive heard very good htings about the wqhole self titled album and Fragile
Quote by Guitarded8988
some other fairly mainstream tracks: "i've seen all good people..." and "owner of a lonely heart (kinda beat off, they rep bop it noises)" i like "starship trooper" and "The fish" personally
Owner of a Lonely Heart bothers me. Starship Trooper, on the other hand, is one of my favorite Yessongs. And you cant have Fish (Schindleria Praematurus) without Long Distance Runaround before it
Quote by Thefallofman
I'll send you some stuff by them, my dad is a huge fan. Saw them live like 4 times.

And i happen to be wearing a Yes shirt as we speak
And if ever You come near, I will hold up high a mirror.
Lord, I could never show you anything as beautiful as You.
i hear "the yes album" is quite good
Bishop of Zeppelinism - PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Quote by AdayTripper
If the teletubby has a vagina, I'll stick my dick in there.
Their first five albums are all good, and their all very Yessy (they stray in the 80's, I can't stand Owner of a Lonely Heart), but I think the Yes Album is their best. Time and a Word is good, also.
The Yes Album is the best,easy.

But I like the band No better...

/[not so funny humor/]
When your body's tired, exercise your mind.
My favorite album at the moment is Close to the Edge, but anything by Yes is great. They're probably my favorite progressive rock that there is.

Fragile's another great album, which has Roundabout on it. Even though the song is, as you said, "The Stairway to Heaven of Yes", it's still a really good song. Some other great stuff on that album is South Side of the Sky, The Fish, and Long Distance Run Around.
South Side of the Sky is amazing. I love the piano interlude and the harmonies.
Quote by Thefallofman
^^even though they rarely played it live in the 70s. They brought it back in recent years and did a great keyboard/guitar interplay jam.
Quote by Thefallofman
^^wait...you live in NJ? Yes opened with Close to the Edge for that show! BASTARD!
Quote by Thefallofman
I would love to see Yes at PNC Bank Arts Center. It is such a great place to see a show.
Quote by Thefallofman
Last edited by BrainDamage at Jun 2, 2006,
^completely off topic,but PNC is the greatest ballpark around. I mean look at the view. Seeing any somewhat okay band there would be a pleasure.
When your body's tired, exercise your mind.
I was referring to the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel, New Jersey, but that is a nice view
Quote by Thefallofman
Stula, how did you like the Yesstuff I sent you?
Quote by Thefallofman
^Well I'm addicted to it. lol

I've tried a new album everynight and in the day I run it when ever I have free time.

So far I've listened to fragile about 4 times

and th eyes album like 3

My favorite songoff of the Yes alum is Yours is no Disgrace ( I love the vocals in the beginning they give such a cool vibe)

and I also love Starship troopeer.

The only song I didnt off that album was I've Seen all Good People.

Its not a bad song but I don't know I just didn't like the mood. a little too upbeat for me....

And I love all of Fragile. the whole album.

all the 8+ minute songs are aamzing

South Side of the Sky is probably my favorite and Roundabout and Heart of the Sunrise are just amazing songs.
Quote by Brothers_In_Arms
The Darkness are kind of a classic rock band, despite being a current band, so i though id put it here.
^^Yours Is No Disgrace and Starship Trooper are awesome.

I'm surprised you don't really like I've Seen All Good People - even though it might be a bit cliche (not as bad as Roundabout ), I think the song is really great. Everything is just perfectly in sync with everything else.

For example, listen to the keyboards and you'll notice they have this little "dooda loot doo" before the chorus which is sung in a beautiful harmony.

Yes is a great band.
ya i love the end of that song the way the singing is with that awsome guitar good song
Bishop of Zeppelinism - PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Quote by AdayTripper
If the teletubby has a vagina, I'll stick my dick in there.
yes is an amazing group, they have a really special way of playing and making songs. i especially like starship trooper, roundabout, mood for a day, i've seen all good people,... all the lyrics are nice too imo, i've seen all good people is about peace and love isnt it?
Fender Classic Series '50s Telecaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Mi Audio Crunch Box
^^I'm not entirely sure.

The literal meaning is obvious - it's about a chess game. However, there's probably some metaphorical meaning (actually, there is a metaphorical meaning).

What is it? I'm not sure. It might be about peace and love. In some views I've seen it about war because of the fact it's a chess game. In some some views I've seen it about life in general where someone is trying to help others get back to a better life.
i heard long distance runaround on the radio, and thats ill i have and i think its awesome, but i havent heard anything else, can someone email me some stuff?
Why haven't anyone mentioned Relayer yet?! Truly an amazing album!
Hmmmmmm
^^Relayer is amazing. Sound Chaser is one of my favorite Yes songs ever, it's an organized mess. I love it.

Quote by TheHeartbreaker
^^I'm not entirely sure.

The literal meaning is obvious - it's about a chess game. However, there's probably some metaphorical meaning (actually, there is a metaphorical meaning).

What is it? I'm not sure. It might be about peace and love. In some views I've seen it about war because of the fact it's a chess game. In some some views I've seen it about life in general where someone is trying to help others get back to a better life.
what the hell are you talking about? We all know that Jon Anderson's lyrics mean absolutely nothing...

I've Seen All Good People is a great song...the second part of it shows why the members of Yes are such amazing musicians.
Quote by Thefallofman