So this was my first time changing strings on a guitar with a floating trem (Rg1570!) and the restringing is fine, but I found the bridge sticking way out of the body and the action crazy high. After a ton of tinkering, this is my situation: The guitar is waaaaaay out of tune (somewhere between E and Eb), the bridge is still at a sharp angle (angled towards the neck) and thus action is equally crazy high, and my trem is too stiff. I feel like I've been adjusting and tuning in circles for a couple hours. I adjust one thing and it throws everything else completely out of whack. Ugh. Any tips on getting out of this predicament?
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Take it to a shop. Now.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Have you also adjusted the springs in the back? Also it is best to change the strings one at a time with a floating tremolo.
omg what did you do?!? lol sounds like you really messed up. take it to a shop before you pock your eye out or the guitar explodes or something
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Maybe you put your strings on too tight?
I'd just take it to the local guitar shop, I'd hate to **** anything up major.
LTD SC-608 Baritone
Schecter 007-Elite
Epi. Les Paul Standard
Jasmine SC312
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-3
Peavey 6505+

www.behaviourmusic.com
loosen the strings and tighten the springs at the back bit by bit. that has a nice ring to it. but it will fix the bridge's angle which should in turn help other problems you seem to have.
come and join the youth and beauty brigade

#5 member of the club that isn't terribly prejudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
Quote by bassistlane
Have you also adjusted the springs in the back? Also it is best to change the strings one at a time with a floating tremolo.

Yeah, if the bridge is up toward your neck, then you're going to have to tighten the springs.
Sounds like you put some larger strings on, what gauge did you use?
The string gauge may have a great deal to do with it, in my experience Floating trems are cool if you take care of them but once you change something such as tuning or string gauge your in for a heartache.
The problem is that, when you tighten a string, it pulls the bridge closer to the neck. Therefore, as they said, tighten the springs to bring the trem back down.
You know the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
You're the BLESSED, we're the Spiders from Mars!

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.
Quote by love_O_rock
Take it to a shop. Now.

yeah, take it to guitar center as soon as possible, you might **** it up even worse if you mess with it, just leave it alone and take it to gc.
Quote by Brandon860
hey man, any person with a Wayne's World avatar I have all the faith in the world in

Founder of the "Taco Bell > You" PM me to join.
I have a floating trem strat and its fine like that. The action;tuning; and its even at an angle toward the neck.
the first time i ever restringed my floyd rose, i did the same thing, i was pretty dumb at the time, and never even knew about string gauges and brought a much bigger set i think .13-.56??
anyway when i was tuning, the bridge kept coming up and up higher and higer, i was confused as, then it come so high up that one of the strings snapped (even though the guitar was tuned near standard e tuning ) and i got a shop to restring for me .
but all you need to do is just make sure your strings are loose, then tighten the plate which the strings are attached to underneath you guitar, and retune, u might have to experment with spring arragements too. Its not hard to do, and i would encourage it instead of taking it too a shop and getting charged.
The guage I put on seems to be the exact same, D'addario .10s. It's a bit of a guessing game, since I don't know exactly what strings the guitar came with, but I'm 99.9% sure it's the same guage, same brand. Right now I've got the strings pretty loose and the trem back at a normal angle. Tomorrow I'll follow these instruction from Ibanezrules.com from dealing with "string shock" (the entire bridge just keeps raising and raising, which is what I'm experiencing):

"In order to get your strings evenly in tune, you will need to tune in "stages". What we mean by this is this: start with the low E string. Turn the tuner until the string is no longer slack, and then move on to the A string. Do this with all the strings. Remember, you're not trying to achieve any type of tuning yet - you're just pulling up all the slack. After this is done, begin with the low E again, and turn the tuner about half a turn, then move to the A string. Do this to all the strings. Then repeat it. Check yourself with a tuner. Eventually, you will get close to being in tune. When everything is close, go ahead and finesse your tuners so they are in tune. *Why is this lengthy process necessary,* you might ask, *and why can't I just tune normally?* Good question! The answer is that attempting to tune "normally" will result in a tremolo unit that has pulled up from the body to such an extent that the action is now about half an inch high, and totally unplayable. Doing it this way will keep your action low and tremolo in the right place."

That'll hopefully work, otherwise I'll give playing with spring tension one last shot, finally there's the option of blocking the bridge, tuning and removing the block, which I might try. Otherwise I'll kill myself and and then send it off to the shop. Thanks for the advice.
blocking the bridge wont work because as soon as you remove it the trem will return to the balanced position between string tension and spring tension
Quote by systemrules
loosen the strings and tighten the springs at the back bit by bit. that has a nice ring to it. but it will fix the bridge's angle which should in turn help other problems you seem to have.

thats it do that
It's what I'm planning on doing.
Take it to a shop and WATCH THEM FIX IT. That way, you'll know for next time.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
i know what you did.

YOU TOOK OFF ALL THE STRINGS AT ONCE DIDNT YOU!!!

take it to the shop. and from next time, change em one at a time.

p.s: i did that too, first time
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
lol u shudda seen me when i tryed to put my js100 in d standard tuning. i had no idea what i was doing, and somehow managed to make the bridge fall out the front of the body
Follow this simple steps and plz be patient...

Tuning Floyd Rose:
1) Loosen the locking nut
2) Set your fine tuners to middle position
3) Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish
4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
5) If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered, lock in the nut
6) Tune again using the fine tuners

More info on tuning floyd roses - http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html
Info on changing strings - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_re-stringing_guitar.html
Picture guide on how to perform the #4 step mentioned above - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
I had this the other way around the first time I restrung my 1570. When you put the string through the tuner on the headstock, make sure the length of the string (from tuner to bridge) before you start turning the peg is a little longer than you have it now. Then, when tuned up it will be coiled around the peg less and thus there will be less tension in the string and so your bridge will be lower.

I hope thats how it works and that I explained it well.. It worked for me, I hope it does for you too
lol maybe he put in different gauges
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Do you have pics?
Known.
Some.
Call.
Is.
Air.
Am?

Incoherent - yes.
Without meaning - I'm afraid not.

"Known some call is air am."
Which is to say-

"I am not what I used to be"
Erm...sounds like you've converted a really good guitar...into a strangly shaped piece of wood with strings on it...TAKE IT TO A SHOP NOW...QUICK RUN...(don't run across the road though it might damage the piece of wood a little bit more)
Quote by nospacesallowed
Erm...sounds like you've converted a really good guitar...into a strangly shaped piece of wood with strings on it...TAKE IT TO A SHOP NOW...QUICK RUN...(don't run across the road though it might damage the piece of wood a little bit more)

Pff, hardly. It's way out of tune, and the bridge a little tilted right now, but that's it. I might have exagerrated a bit in my first post, but what do you want? I was annoyed and a little bit freaked out. I have more than enough info now to get it back to a proper setup.

EDIT: Yes! Everything is back to normal. Go me. I've now learned the errors of string changing ways .
Last edited by invisible_man at Jun 2, 2006,
Quote by sylent
lol maybe he put in different gauges

Could be true, coz I always thought 1570s were made for 009s (its what ive heard and what i have on mine), while he put 010s on.. That might have been the problem