I've heard of this technique so called "fret scalloping" that is done to the fretboard, for any of you who don't know, it is basicaly shaving the fretboard into a rounded shape. I've been reading Australian Guitar and i've heard a guitarist called Reverend Kriss Hades from Sadistik Exekcution does it, i've also heard Steve Vai did it from 20th fret upwards. I'm still not completely clear on what the purpose of it is but i get the idea. Personally i think it's pointless maiming of a guitar. What is your thoughts, and if someone would like to better describe it's purpose for me, i'd much appreciate it
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
basically the whole point of scalloping is to help you bend notes easier, the reason this works is because the string requires a lot less force to be raised in pitch with a scalloped fretboard.
K.K.Downing from Judas Priest uses it so does Joes Stump. Some say that it makes it easier to play faster but people like Malmsteen come forward and deny this saying it makes it way harder play and only easier to bend, although he is a real dickhead and is probably saying this to make his speed seem even more amazing. I have never played on one so maybe someone who has can clarify what effect they have.
Quote by ferretman
K.K.Downing from Judas Priest uses it so does Joes Stump. Some say that it makes it easier to play faster but people like Malmsteen come forward and deny this saying it makes it way harder play and only easier to bend, although he is a real dickhead and is probably saying this to make his speed seem even more amazing. I have never played on one so maybe someone who has can clarify what effect they have.

Why does that make Yngwie a dickhead? He is right. it IS harder to play accurately and in tune on a scalloped neck opposed to a regular neck. Its very easy to bend chords out of pitch. He doesn't say anything about bending I'm pretty sure on the record. I have the VHS video of him where he says it makes it harder to play fast, nothing about bending..

Scalloping is like u sing really really huge frets, except even moreso, it basically gives you more control over your string, be it bending, vibrato, or anything. Essentially its like making everything more sensitive, so in order to play well on a scalloped fretboard you should really have alot of control over your playing before you go forward and scallop one of your nice axes.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Why does that make Yngwie a dickhead?

Yngwie Malmsteem, has always been a dickhead....one time at a show i went to with my guitar instructor since his boss and them have been firends for like ever, we always get to go back stage cuz he is close friends with Joe South (writer of the songs Rose Garden, and Down in the Boondox, etc...) Off course Yngwie was there, then he was performing acting like a show off, Vai was there being all nice to everyone, There was also a close friend to my instructor, I forgot his name but he was blind and a country artist...Well My guitar instructor's boss called him out on the stage after Yngwie and he goes out there ( rememeber he is blind ) he shows up everyone at the show inluding Vai now im freaking out and my instructor, Vai and I look over at Yngwie and his mouth is wide open and Jaw basically hitten the stage....Yngwie Can be shone up and when he does he still acts like a dick..

EDIT:SRY FOR HIJACKING THE THREAD, CONTINUE ON ABOUT SCALLOPING!
Quote by Schecter-06
Yngwie Malmsteem, has always been a dickhead....one time at a show i went to with my guitar instructor since his boss and them have been firends for like ever, we always get to go back stage cuz he is close friends with Joe South (writer of the songs Rose Garden, and Down in the Boondox, etc...) Off course Yngwie was there, then he was performing acting like a show off, Vai was there being all nice to everyone, There was also a close friend to my instructor, I forgot his name but he was blind and a country artist...Well My guitar instructor's boss called him out on the stage after Yngwie and he goes out there ( rememeber he is blind ) he shows up everyone at the show inluding Vai now im freaking out and my instructor, Vai and I look over at Yngwie and his mouth is wide open and Jaw basically hitten the stage....Yngwie Can be shone up and when he does he still acts like a dick..

EDIT:SRY FOR HIJACKING THE THREAD, CONTINUE ON ABOUT SCALLOPING!

Thats funny, I met Yngwie and I didn't have a problem with him at all.

I don't know how yngwie's jaw dropping makes him a dick, but I guess you and Steve Vai are both kind of dicks for being in awe, too, right?

I STILL don't know how that makes him a dick.. Ok, so he played guitar. So did that other dude, how does that make him a dick? You're all dicks, WE'RE ALL DICKS, we play guitar!

Behold the power of logic. </sarcasm>

Yngwie being a dick has nothing to do with scalloped fretboards, and you just ****ing spammed for no reason. Thanks for the story.

Back to the discussion?
Quote by Schecter-06
umm yea if i werent to lazy to quote myself id say, sry for hijacking thread now back to scalloping, and it does make him adick becuz he still acted like he was the best there

Okay, when a man murders a family does saying sorry make it okay? No, it doesn't. If you know you shouldn't do it why don't you try.. NOT DOING IT. Telling a completely irrelivant story about meeting famous people (oh noes, I looked at steve vai when yngwie got pwnt!!) didn't have anything to do with scalloping other than the fact that some of the artists mentioned prefer as calloped neck to some degree.

Now, how does yngwie acting best because he is full of himself equal yngwie acting like a dick because he uses a scalloped fretboard? OH wait, It doesn't.

You oughta just stop posting now.
ur becoming a real pain in the ass....honestly ue misinterpreted my posts for the past like two days.....first on the a7x guitar, now this, my point was that one kid on here said yngwie is a dickhead and im proing the point he is
^Stop guys.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
every thread ive gone to involves shecter fighting with someone, its quite amusing. arent we talking about scalloped frets not how a guitarists personality is? i think yngwie is a cocky asshole but im not goung to argue with anyone about it. and that has nothing to do with his music at all. i enjoy his music. so anyways, scalloped frets are cool. (thats me getting back on topic)
Quote by pacman-man
every thread ive gone to involves shecter fighting with someone, its quite amusing. arent we talking about scalloped frets not how a guitarists personality is? i think yngwie is a cocky asshole but im not goung to argue with anyone about it. and that has nothing to do with his music at all. i enjoy his music. so anyways, scalloped frets are cool. (thats me getting back on topic)

not everyone, just genocide, i didnt yell at pedro or ne 1
Yup scalloped fretbaords help give oy umroe control over your guitar. And to an extend it almost does help oy uspeed up, the frets only need a minimal amount of force when scalloped so you can in theory play faster, because you dont' need to spend as much tiem fretting. But you will onyl go as fast as your fingers will take you.

((back on topic to an extent))
Lots of people(if not most) only scallop the upper register of the neck, because while playing chords its easy to press to hard and bend a few notes off pitch...I'd only reccomend them for full neck if you don't play much rythm...

It might be cool to only scallop the 3 thinner strings on the neck...you could do powerchords on the upper strings and solo on the lower

And Schechter, you're warned. I already told you to stop once. Don't spam.
Quote by tombo32
Scalloped frets are awsome. But I guess you either love them or you hate them. Check out the scalloping I did on my nylon string (link is in the sig).

^Thats pretty deep scalloping.

If you only sort of do the later half of each fret up to the 14th you should still be able to chord without killing your fingers and still get the benifits of easy bends, im still in the process of trying this style out.
I'm gonna live forever and if I don't suceed i'll die trying.
Originally posted by Liberation
Damn. You win Master Shake. I am not worthy!
Quote by Master Shake
^Thats pretty deep scalloping.

If you only sort of do the later half of each fret up to the 14th you should still be able to chord without killing your fingers and still get the benifits of easy bends, im still in the process of trying this style out.

Yeah I went a bit too deep, but its learning experience.

And the scalloping on my guitar doesnt affect playing chords at all. Maybe because its a nylon string.
Sorry to you Malmsteen lovers I don't have anything against him but I just meant that he is up himself. Anyway if I want to scallop my own guitar neck is a Dremel the best tool for the job?
Last edited by ferretman at Jun 3, 2006,
I guess adremel coudl work, but you'd need to really make sure you dont' screw anythign up or go realyl deep ro something. I'd recommend somethign liek a 1/4" round file, it'll give your more control, and won't take as long as a pencil and sandpaper.
Lots of people on here have used a Dremel I think.
oh my ****ing god

DO NOT USE A REGULAR DREMEL TOOL.

Use a round file/round rasp and sandpaper to finish it with.

I've heard of people using sanders, too, but they were defintitely not dremels. I'd thint that a dremel would be a good way to **** your fretboard up righteously. I wouldn't take mine near that thing.
^Really? I'm quite positive I saw at least 2 people on here who used a dremel, and it looked like it turned out great.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
^Really? I'm quite positive I saw at least 2 people on here who used a dremel, and it looked like it turned out great.

I did mine with a file. I would never even ****in get close to my fretboard with a dremel tool. Never.

Just 'cause people do it doesn't mean its a good idea