Ok, I just got a bass last year for christmas...i want to learn how to play but i can't afford lessons. what is the best way to self-teach yourself bass. BTW i have never played a string instrument in my life but i can read music and play piano, flute, and baritone so i know the G and F clefs. (treble and bass)
Get some tabs and play along to songs! Pick a bunch of songs you like with relatively simple bass and find the music for them on here. If you find something you don't know how to do there's probably a lesson about it on the lessons here.
what would be some good songs to star trying on? I can sorta play the one part of smoke on the water the (dun dun dun...dun dun dadun...dun dun dun dudun) you know the main smoke on the water whatever ya call it (riff maybe)
Pick up on tracks where the bass line is simple but has different techniques within it, Rage against the Machine is a good place to start!!
Lyrics, Wasted Time between solos!!

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ibanez RG 470
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender Standard Strat
Line 6 Flextone II
Boss GT6
Jim Dunlop Wah
blink songs, someone had to say it, they give you great sense of getting used to bass and rhythm, thats how i started off, erm mainly 'all the small things', 'i miss you' then move on to 'always', 'carousel', also can try things like 'the strokes - reptilia' or 'off spring - can't repeat', ok those are not my genres, i'm into heavy metal myself, but those things are good for learning and fun for play along
It all depends on what songs you like! I started with Led Zeppelin really, Dazed and Confused is a good'un. Anything off the first couple of Black Sabbath albums is good to start with as well.
I´d suggest not starting in punk, its mainly root notes (not all, so don't start the flaming). i'll put it this way, my band has two guitarrists (they've been playing practically the amount of time) one started in punk and one started in metal, which do you think is better? obviously the one that started in metal. Im not saying you start with something ubber difficult start with something that you CAN'T play BUT its within your grasp, do you understand?

songs like calm like a bomb by rage against the machine and stand by me will get you a good sense of moving between strings and moving the fingers, calm like a bomb might be a little hard first but mark my words, You will learn it and when you do you'll be soooo proud of yourself that you'll play the song over and over again

if you want don't listen to me, im just a guy that has been playing for 8 months (or something more, think so ) but force yourself to become better, don't try to pull something like jaco or necrophagist, but work! it's nice to have more bassists
Last edited by watchingmefall at Jun 3, 2006,
Quote by watchingmefall
I´d suggest not starting in punk, its mainly root notes (not all, so don't start the flaming). i'll put it this way, my band has two guitarrists (they've been playing practically the amount of time) one started in punk and one started in metal, which do you think is better? obviously the one that started in metal. Im not saying you start with something ubber difficult start with something that you CAN'T play BUT its within your grasp, do you understand?

songs like calm like a bomb by audioslave and stand by me will get you a good sense of moving between strings and moving the fingers, calm like a bomb might be a little hard first but mark my words, You will learn it and when you do you'll be soooo proud of yourself that you'll play the song over and over again

if you want don't listen to me, im just a guy that has been playing for 8 months (or something more, think so ) but force yourself to become better, don't try to pull something like jaco or necrophagist, but work! it's nice to have more bassists
hahahahhahahahha calm like a bomb... AUDIOSLAVE? nah. Rage brotha.
Quote by SchecterFreak
like i said..i feel like a dumass... oh!!! man you are refering to your abreviated name wow..i really feel stupid *blushes* god... sorry USHO.

man i feel like a **** now...
hahaha my bad thanks dude. just edited it and you could start and play some ska, its really cool and great for bass
Last edited by watchingmefall at Jun 3, 2006,