I've been playing guitar since September, and usually when I write my own stuff, I just rip off other bands and go from there. Now, I'm getting extremely fed up with my incompetence, so I've decided to learn chord theory. Modes, chord spellings, the circle of fifths, I want to learn all the basics and most of the intermediate stuff, I wanna learn it all. The problem is, I don't know where to begin. Are there any places online I can get free [thorough] lessons on theory? I don't really want to spend $40 on a book, or $13 per online lesson.

By the way, I've decided that I'm just going to memorize the fretboard for now. Should I learn all the frets on all the strings, or just a certain few?
Start off with learning of the notes (not even necessarily on the fretboard - that'll come with time. Just the concept of the Dbs and the C#s and a half tone between E and F but a whole tone between F and G and such.).

Then learn the major scale, the pattern. Already got that?
Learn the basic triads... and then from there learn extended chords and so forth.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!