Okay, so I just got a bass for my birthday, and it sounds completely out of tune. Now, I normally play guitar, so is tuning a bass by ear the same as tuning a regular guitar by ear? Like, do you start at the fifth fret on the lowest string and work your way up? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
use the only tuning thread at the top of this forum
Been away, am back
oops sorry didn't notice it thanks.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Your best bet is to get a tuner that can read both bass and electric guitar. So just plug ur bass into it and play. when starting off on bass, it can be a bit difficult to tune by ear. After you get used to the way the strings sound, eventually you'll be able to tune by ear without comparing it to other strings.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
Thanks to pan-tallica. It works. I'm all tuned now.
Quote by NGD1313

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I truly admire all those who tune accurately by ear. It's far beyond my limited ability's. Especially basses, for the human hearing naturally has more trouble distinguishing between different low frequencies then it has telling apart the higher notes. If you would use one of those electronic tuners, you wouldn't hear me calling you a sissy. And if someone else does, remember this; it has been scientifically proven that most of those dudes using their self claimed perfect pitch on avarage spent 200% more time on tuning, only to arrive at a setting that is 15 to 20 Hz above regular concert. Just don't bother.