Page 1 of 2
First off, I know this sounds about as believable as a UFO sighting. No, the amp wasn't being played by Elvis or Bigfoot. I know I should probably be put in the iron maiden, burned at the stake, drawn and quartered, shot and pissed on, then ground into itty-bitty little pieces and flailed into oblivion for even suggesting such a ridiculous thing. Heresy like that usually never comes from this chap. But bear with me...

Sunday night, I was at a show featuring 5 local bands. The guitarist of one band usually uses a Peavey XXX head, but it was in getting repaired, and he was using a borrowed Marshall MG1000 head thru his Mesa Boogie oversized recto cabinet. I kind of chuckled to myself when I saw that at first. That was kind of like parking a Ford Festiva beside a Lamborghini. But then he fired it up to get his guitar setup and ****, and I was actually quite surprised. The low end was massive and actually masked the buzzy, bees-in-a-jar quality of the MG.

It certainly wasn't the best guitar tone I'd ever heard. I've heard many MGs, but only once thru a good cabinet (a Marshall 1960B), and I always found they sounded horrible. I was actually quite surprised to hear that an MG could actually deliver a decent, useable gigging tone. Sure, it was matched with a cab worth 5 times the price of the head, but still..

Anyway, since this is such a rare ocurrence, likely never to happen again, I thought I would share...
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Yea i dont find anything wrong about MG's theyre Decent practice amps, People will just read someone say "MG's are ****e" then he or she will jump onto the band wagon, then everyone jumps on.

MG's are not bad. but not great Either.
That's the key. They are ok practice amps. You're paying for the name and could get better sounding amps for the money, but for practice purposes, they're fine. But for gigging and band practice, they're just horrible, horrible amps. This was the first time in many, many, many, many years that I've heard an MG / Park that actually sounded decent for a gig.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

In my opinion I think you can make any amp sound good enougn to gig with. It all depends on eq-ing and knowing your effects if any are used. The player, I think helps a lot to.
^Yeah. I thought our schools Spider II sounded better when we gigged with it.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
The MG30 and up have potential to sound ok. And some of the hype has to be little kids who just turn everything to 10 and hope it sounds good(and the reliability issues). I never said it sounded good, mind you, it just a has a little potential.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
When amps are cranked beyond 100db its hard to tell their tonal nuances.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
the MG30 and 15 that ive played were absolutely horrible, i was at my friends house and was just playing from the guitar straight to the amp and i tried tons of different EQ's but could not get a good clean or OD, and when i tried to play with him drumming the clean channel turned into a very blurry OD and with the OD i could hear anything except buzz, this was with the amp on like 6 too. i really hate how guitar center has MG's by all of the pedals like you can hear the pedals true tone through one, the MG can probably be okay with a Mesa cab but if you have the money for a mesa cab you could get a tube combo or head
good thing i was also at the show. took a picture and everything.

or maybe im just a jaded mg owner. not sure.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
D'OH! MG1000! lol

Yeah, it was a plain, stock MG100DFX head played with no pedals or no external effects. Like I said, I think the massive low end of the recto oversize cab is what made it sound so chunky. The owner of the head played in in the following set with his band and Laney cab and it sounded like ass.

^ I haven't had a lot of experience with the "overdrive" channel but I thought the clean channel was awful. Completely dull and lifeless, no sparkle what-so-ever, it made it that much harder to play because everything you were putting in just came out as crap.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
I bought an MG100HDFX and a MG412A 4x12 not so long ago because it was a package going cheap and it was the biggest waste of money ever. I only ever play it through my Digitech GNX3 otherwise it sounds like sh1t! I usually end up playing through my 15 year old Peavey Bandit !!!!!!!!
My Gear:-
-Epiphone Les Paul Cherry Sunburst (modded)
-Jackson DK2 Amber Sunburst (modded)
-ESP KH-202
-Marshall MG100HDFX
-Marshall MG412A 4x12
-Digitech GNX3
-Jim Dunlop Wah
Quote by jj1565
good thing i was also at the show. took a picture and everything.

or maybe im just a jaded mg owner. not sure.

lmao Jenny.

Anyways, I've tried really hard to get a good tone out of one. You HAVE to make sure the "FDD" thing is on. The only way I got a decent tone out of it was by not turning it up past about 3...
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
The only way I got a decent tone out of it was by not turning it up past about 3...

And that's the reason they make good home practice amps only. They're good at low bedroom practice levels, but as soon as the volume goes above 4, the tone just falls to pieces and it sounds like angry bees in a jar.

I like how my bees quote is used everywhere now

Nice write-up, Crunch, I'm curious now. I may have to try that next time I'm at a Guitar Center...
Quote by Danno13
I like how my bees quote is used everywhere now

Nice write-up, Crunch, I'm curious now. I may have to try that next time I'm at a Guitar Center...

LOL. I've been using the 'bees in a jar' quote to describe these amps since they were originally the Park by Marshall series in the 80s. Even as a noob I knew they sounded like ass.

Quote by Crunchmeister
LOL. I've been using the 'bees in a jar' quote to describe these amps since they were originally the Park by Marshall series in the 80s. Even as a noob I knew they sounded like ass.

I didnt, i thought everyone was wrong until i heard another same size amp.

Blew my away the difference, nasty nasty amps.

They sound like **** and fall to peices pretty fast.

------Did you know?
If the fans grill falls off the amp shorts out
They started out as Park-branded amps, and had a tiny "by Marshall" logo on the front grill. The series flopped because they sounded like ass.

Then they rebranded them Marshall Park series. They also flopped because of the stigma of the Park name. They were now "Marshalls", but still flopped because they were the same amp as before. So they discontinued the Park series altogether and retired the name.

The following year, they released the MG series. They were identical in every way, except came in different power ratings than the old Park amps. The series took off like wildfire because of the brand name.

mines a G series, with the amp marked mg. i guess they just the G on for a year or so?

edit: i mean speaker marked MG, amps marked G50
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jun 2, 2006,
It's possible. They made a lot of changes to their lineup at the time to try to shake the stigma of the Park amps.

haha, awesome, crunch!

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Fascinating, this just goes to show that speaker cabs do really make a difference. And with a little know how with some settings almost anything is feesibly possible. But then again most people who own an MG half stack don't even know that you can really buy mesa stuff. "What, you mean I can own the same amp that the guy from Green Day has!! Oh my I think I just creamed my shorts. Oh it is how much you say? Hmm I think I will just stick with my squire strat and my MG, hey its a Marshall isn't it."
I think that the MG's with two channels are good, no the little tiny ones. Those suck dick but besides that other oens are ok, wouldnt ever gig with one though. (i gig with a glx212 )
Here's a Updated pic
Attachments:
SEAL.jpg
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Did you move around much when he was playing? It might of just sounded good in the spot you were in.
I laugh at the guys thinking that it was the cab, or the spot he was getting, or any crap like that. It was one thing, his playing. EQ might have had some effect, but the primary reason it sounded good was because he sounded good.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
^fair enough. the recto cab would pump out heaps of bass. assuming the amp had the balls to do it. which i higly doubt, becasue we have a MG100DFX at school. and anywhere past 4 on the volume the bass just falbs out and the amp turns to treble. pure treble.
but whatever. if your thought it sounded good then power to you, but i thnk i'll stick with my DSL.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by Tarzan_man
Did you move around much when he was playing? It might of just sounded good in the spot you were in.

I started off standing right in front of the amp from the edge the stage (that's only 16 inches high), about 8 feet away from the cab. I then moved back to the center of the room to hear it from the PA system. This is a new venue in town, so I was lsitening from everywhere just to check room acoustics. At that volume, I could only hear the cab directly when I was at the edge of the stage. But thru the PA it sounded decent too

Quote by xifr
..but the primary reason it sounded good was because he sounded good.

He was pretty good. No doubt about that. And that is a big part of any sound. Give a good guitarist a Squier and a little 10W Marshall MG, and he can make it sound good.

But the big thing about the tone was that it lacked the bees-in-a-jar buzzing that's so characteristic of that amp. It's 'annoying factor' wasn't so perceivable with the recto cab.

Quote by joel_grieve
..we have a MG100DFX at school. and anywhere past 4 on the volume the bass just falbs out and the amp turns to treble.

He had the master volume at about 4. That's one of the things I took notice of, because above that, the tone really goes to shìt.

ah ok.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Last year in my school we had an elective called band, but it wasnt band it was like rock band (guitars, drums, bass) and when we would play, everyone except me fought for the Marshall MG. I went over to the Mesa Rectifier.... Right.
Quote by xifr
I laugh at the guys thinking that it was the cab, or the spot he was getting, or any crap like that. It was one thing, his playing. EQ might have had some effect, but the primary reason it sounded good was because he sounded good.

yeah good point. But a Recto cab actually will make...well anything sound at least a little better....
Quote by Preid
Either way MG's still suck

hey fuk u buddy

the MG aint no mesa and thats what u lot are compairing it to so just stop slaming it. no one gives a toss about ur dumbass opinion on an MG its all been heard b4.
Quote by Alex2zulu
hey fuk u buddy

the MG aint no mesa and thats what u lot are compairing it to so just stop slaming it. no one gives a toss about ur dumbass opinion on an MG its all been heard b4.

Mesa?

Bitch, please.

Preid used to defend MGs all the time. Then he went and played a few amps at his local store. Now he doesn't.

I have never played a more irritating amp than a Marshall MG. I've made Fender Frontmans sound better. Add that to the fact that you can get equivalent-wattage Vox and Cube amps for less money, and there is NO POINT to the MG series.
Quote by Danno13

I have never played a more irritating amp than a Marshall MG. I've made Fender Frontmans sound better.

thats an achievment

Quote by Alex2zulu
hey fuk u buddy

nigga, please, go play your Encore through your little MG15FX and let the big boys play
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Page 1 of 2