...of how to use guitar effects! Please!

I have GuitarPort (2.5), and I've downloaded all the Pink Floyd/David Gilmour tones. However, there are no tones for songs like Shine On, Comfortably Numb, etc...

I *really* do not understand the technical side of setting up decent tones. Has anyone set up tones for these songs? If so, how did you do it?

(I read a post by Earthquake earlier which mentioned how he set up the Comfortably Numb tone, and I'll try that later tonight!)

I have managed to set up a tone which I use for SOYCD, but there is very little sustain on it, so it doesn't sound quite right!!! I have no idea what I'm doing! Just twiddling a few knobs and pressing buttons at random in the vague hope of hitting a tone which sounds acceptable!

(As you might have guessed, I don't play the guitar for any commercial gain - just for my own enjoyment. I've been playing for about 10 years, and I'm still crap!!!)
Hah! I know that feeling... Anyway, what kind of guitar are you using? Problem is, Gilmour used EMGs in a Strat, so it's kind of hard to truly replicate his sound with a regular Strat with passive single coils.
Hi, I'm Peter
Yeah! Why couldn't he just get a cheapo Strat like me? I'd be able to replicate the sound more easily then...

I'm using a cheap Fender Strat (made in Mexico).

Ok. Any hints on just how to get a semi-decent sustain then?
get high output pickups. DiMarzio Chopper in your bridge would give you almost humbucker-level distortion and sustain. But you would really need a bright, fullsize bucker to get close to the sound he gets with his EMGs. And it's also the amp. You need something with smooth distortion and warmth.
Hi, I'm Peter