Hey.
This summer I am building an effects pedal.
On the list of parts under the capacitors section there are the lists of capactiors, but theres one thing that I dont understand abour some of them.
Heres the list of capacitors:
15n
47n
100p
100p
680p
47n
330p
2n2
330p
2n2
47n
2n2
2n2
15n
47n
220uF

Whats the difference between the n, p, n2, uF?

Also for capacitors, on Small Bear Electronics, theres Electrolytic Capacitors, Silver Mica Capacitors, Sprague 716 Series Capacitors, Sprague 715 Series Capacitors, Mallory 150 Series Capacitors, Xicon High Voltage Capacitors, and Low Voltage Poly Film Capacitors. What are the difference? Which do I need?

I am building the Mr. EQ http://runoffgroove.com/mreq.html
I'm thinking of building the range master and this would be pretty helpful if out more experienced technicians would step in.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
u = micro
n = nano
p = pico

1u = 1 micro Farad = 1000 nano farad
2n2 = 2.2 nano farad = 2200 pico farad
100p = 100 pico farad = 0.1 nano farad

simple enough

Also for capacitors, on Small Bear Electronics, theres Electrolytic Capacitors, Silver Mica Capacitors, Sprague 716 Series Capacitors, Sprague 715 Series Capacitors, Mallory 150 Series Capacitors, Xicon High Voltage Capacitors, and Low Voltage Poly Film Capacitors. What are the difference? Which do I need?

in terms of the brands capacitors, it doesn't really matter too much as long as you get the right capacitance for your caps, although I'd personally stray away from electrolytics for a pedal unless i needed it. Which, btw, you will need for the 220 uF.
Last edited by greenbox at Jun 2, 2006,
I sent a PM, but I'll post here because it might help others:
pF, nF, and uF are all just different ways to measure capitance. You can search google for plenty of information on this. It's like centimeters, there are 100 centimeters in a meter, and 10 millimeters in a centimeter. Same idea.(greenbox just posted this)

And go low voltage film capacitors for the caps, and then electrolytic for values over 1 uF.

And if it says 2n2, what it means is 2.2nf. The n stands for nF, and acts like a period. So a 3u3 capacitor is a 3.3uF capacitor. Same goes for resistors, 2m2 is a 2.2 mohm resistor, and so on.

And I still reccomend a simpler circuit...maybe with no IC's. Trust me man, its very easy to get discouraged and quit on your first build.

Also for tips while you're ordering:
Buy some IC and transistor sockets, so you can swap them in and out, and so you don't accidentally fry them with two much heat.
BUY A DESOLDERING BRAID! IT'S A LIFESAVER!
You can buy a custom powder coated box at www.kustompowder.net for really cheap
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Thanks for that link, Pink
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...