Page 1 of 4
just curious if anyone else in the metal forum is into the pagan gods and stuff like that. ODIN and THOR are the ****.....

if you think this shouldn't go in the metal forum, than drink fermented cat vaginal secretion. i shouldn't have to explain why.

discuss cool stories, songs dealing with this sorta thing.

i'll be the first to note (even they are the roman gods):

"venus seduce me, mars posses me, tear my soul from sanity" -emperor
I took some mythology classes not too long ago over Greek, Roman and Norse.

Norse is pretty interesting because it depicts lots of battles and pillaging of nations.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
i hate you mer der. i hope you get a boner and accidently fall on it.

Quote by rocknrollstar
Excuse my stupidity , but what is a urethra ?

Im guessing anus.
I know a little because i think that ****'s cool. But i'm more of a Celtic mythology man myself.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Celtic Mythology is awesome. My blood runs thick of Ireland in meh veins. Along with some Scottish influence.

Celtic language is awesome. I can't find anybody that knows how to speak it or translate.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7

Quote by rocknrollstar

Im guessing anus.
I was interested in Norse mythology for the longest time. Probably mostly because Eric is cooler spelt Eiríkr.
I am a big fan of mythology, mainly Norse, though. I picked up a few books on it, I'm not really into it as a religion, more as a hobby.
Quote by mer_der_noms
Celtic language is awesome. I can't find anybody that knows how to speak it or translate.

Plain irish and scottish are cool languages, the roots of it must sound awesome.
I am interested in most mythologies, especially the Roman. THrough metal of course I also came to be more interested in the norse mythology, but believe in anything like that? hell no. As "cool" as it is, it's just as ridiculous as christianity.
Die Sonne graut dem Morgen
Morsch sind Baum und Pfad
mir ist kalt...
yeah, i find it very very interesting but i'm not into it like some people are.
The trouble with nude dancing is that not everything stops moving when the music does.

Last.fm
I find it interesting as Odin is the God of Wisdom and most people associate him with being the ruler of the Gods but how no where I've seen it's mentioned him being the highest God.

I know that Celtic has roots in Latin atleast that I know of, Old English and some other language that I can't quite remember. It's probably more closely related to Pig(sp?) Latin than any kind of language, but I'm not for sure.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7

Quote by rocknrollstar

Im guessing anus.
Last edited by mer_der_noms at Jun 2, 2006,
this must be one of the lamest threads ever,lets talk metal music.

Odin owns ye all anyway.
I bloody love norse mythology, dunno why it interests me so much, but I got into it before metal so I'm not one of those 'LOL Amon Amarff sings about Odin so lets worship him!!11' kids
Originally posted by Novaworld
Smiddys right...
Isn't Norse mythology with the evil guy called Loki (i think) and the snake that goes round the whole world, and the giant wolf, etc.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Been interested but never taken the time to research any of it. I'll probably do so soon. I was always more interested in greek mythology but that's gettin old.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Quote by Jakeylee111
Isn't Norse mythology with the evil guy called Loki (i think) and the snake that goes round the whole world, and the giant wolf, etc.

Correct.

RAWR! I'm a viking!
</Norse heritage pride>
</IMO>
Norse and viking mythology is very interesting, the stories of the giants gelling (sp?) being drowned by the dwarves and stuff make some of the best stories ever.
Quote by Gman400
Been interested but never taken the time to research any of it. I'll probably do so soon. I was always more interested in greek mythology but that's gettin old.

My thoughts exactly.

I loved greek mythology.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
i think all folklore and nordic, celtic, slovak stuff like that is cool

i love to read some of the sagas (ie, lord of the rings is based on norse mythology) - and i've seen riverdance like ten times (you know you're jelous - not really anything to to with norse mythology, but it's celtic..styles...)

and greek mythology is teh pwnz0r

"u see to kiell the kraken, u needs to show a miror to teh medusas, turn to teh pillor of teh solt, then cuts teh heads off, then shows teh heads to kraken and makes teh krakens into teh pillor of solt ten you chop it off too!! so smart!!"

you know it's true

and yeah, the bathory crap was great - nordlands

and then there's of course..."One Rode to Asa Bay" - finest lyrics

and dont forget the REAL "In the Hall of the Mountain King" - i dont know why Savatage made a song with the same title and basic story, but made a crappy song and video

you've heard it before, where he's.."In the Hall of the Mountain King" and when taht songs playign (the real of of corpse) he's looking at all the stuff and trembling - but i cant friggin think of the name of the play/story...it's VERY nordic...
-Mike
Last edited by HopePoisoned at Jun 2, 2006,
I was actually trying to get into celtic mythology so i bought a necklace that had the zodiac stuff on it. Well i decided to give it to my gf and she lost it... along with my interest in celtic mythology. As for norse mythology... that got ruined by my elementry school when they had a guy run around all day every friday in a viking costume
i prefer my own japanese mythology
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
^^I read a book a while ago on Japanese mythology, from what I can remember it was quite sweet, however due to alcohol, I can't remember any of it. Norse mythology is fairly awesome too, as is Greek. I think ther're really good for writing metal songs about and generally just realy interesting.
RE: Al DiMeola
Quote by Bill69

he sucks, why woudlnt u play guitar with a pick? oh ya, thats cuz you suck. kerry king owns whoever this guy is

Member 03 of the Yngwie Malmsteen fanclub PM Yngwie Malmstien to join.
Just out of curiosity does anyone actually beleive in Asatro or Odinism? Or just find it interesting?
Originally posted by Novaworld
Smiddys right...
I think most people here claim to be Atheist, which I do too. To me it's only interesting.
Morsch sind Baum und Pfad
mir ist kalt...
im christian - but that doesn't mean i stand for everything the church has done

and i find this stuff very interesting - i like the stories
-Mike
Quote by mydadisjewish
just curious if anyone else in the metal forum is into the pagan gods and stuff like that. ODIN and THOR are the ****.....

You should really check out the book Rhinegold by Stephen Grundy. Its a fictional story thats based entirely off of Norse Mythology and one of the best books I've ever read.

EDIT:
Quote by XBodomX
What are some good books ?
I want to try and read some of Heimskringla but I'm not sure if it's the best thing to check out

Please read above
Quote by zachbino57
CSguitarvocal is correct as usual, pepsi tastes much better out of a can.

Quote by TWISTEDFender
And CSguitarvocal for teh win.
My band used to be called Nifelheim until we found out there already was a band with that name. can someone suggest some cool band names from norse mythology?
when i was like eight i'd go to the library every weekend and read stacks of books about Loki, Thor, dwarves and Viking customs.

I was such a nerd.

....the was is optimism
Quote by Disciple666
My band used to be called Nifelheim until we found out there already was a band with that name. can someone suggest some cool band names from norse mythology?

Are you really surprised? Band names based on Norse mythology are such a cliche
Whenever you think you came up with a cool name that has something to do with it, you can be sure there's at least 6 different one-man black metal bands with the same name

and holy shit this is an ancient thread
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Page 1 of 4