This is my first post

Quick Question
I just started to get into classical guitar five or six months ago, and lately I improved and was able to play songs like Prelude 999 by Johan Sabastian Bach, and Cannon in D by Pachebel, but I recently found out that one must have to use finger NAILS to pic, for the past months I have been using the pads of my finger tips. It's a little quiter however to me it's much more sufficient. Have I been using the wrong technique all this time?
I don't care what people say, there's no "wrong" when playing guitar. If what you're doing feels good and you're getting all the right sounds, then you're doing great. Play the way it feels comfortable.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Yes. You need nails to play classical properly. Without them you will not get the proper sound, nor will you be able to play as evenly. Also, once you get into more advanced techniques such as tremolo you will struggle because you have less control over your fingers. If you ever get to the level of performance then you MUST use your nails, but if you're playing casually for yourself and don't mind limiting yourself then keep on using your fingertips. There's a reason professional classical guitars all use nails.
Quote by morgzilla
There's a reason professional classical guitars all use nails.

all..... i wasn't aware that they ALL use nails
A majority of them do, however not all.

Fernando Sor played with his calloused fingertips, and he was definitely no shmuck.
My God, it's full of stars!
tremolo is the really fast picking of a note.

oh man, nails mean EVERYTHING in tremolo (at least in classical and flamenco). the best ones are 4 note tremolos, it'll give you a nice arabic sound. listen to "recuerdos de alhambra" that whole song is 3 note tremolo
its really boring BTW...
Quote by Mosrite

oh man, nails mean EVERYTHING in tremolo (at least in classical and flamenco). the best ones are 4 note tremolos, it'll give you a nice arabic sound. listen to "recuerdos de alhambra" that whole song is 3 note tremolo
its really boring BTW...

That's one of my favorite songs to play
Quote by Mosrite

its really boring BTW...

bastard its not boring, btw franseco tarrega owns your ass. im currently learning his tango
Nails are a personal preference. With or without, there is no wrong way. Personally I prefer to shape my nails so that if need be I can play with them, without them, or use the fingertip and nail at the same time.

Its a PERSONAL choice.
Quote by JLJohnson_21
even with your thumb?

Yeah, besides the benefits of it being easier and sounding better, if the fingers have nails and the thumb doesn't the thumb can be drowned out because the fingers will make a louder sound. So for balance as much as anything else.