is it possible to get a gibson les paul sound from an epiphone les paul by just adding '57 humbuckers..or even some high quality humbuckers that are usually associated with gibson les pauls?
it would be possible and using the right eq you could get quite close to the sound but imo the only way you can get a Gibson les paul sound is to buy Gibson les paul
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
No you can't get the exact tone. Why? Because epiphones use cheaper woods than their gibson counterparts. By replacing the pickups and all the other electronics in the guitar you can get very close, but not right on.
so there's pretty much no way i could possibly get that fat punch sound of jimmy page or joe walsh or anyone like that if i got a epi and fixed it up a bit?
prolly there is, but you would just get veeeeeeery close
I'm back. No-one knew I left anyway. Do you even know who I am?
i have an epi LP from the 90's with PAF 57's in it, and it sounds awesome. I can get gibson like tones from it. I'm not complaining, i saved like $1500 CAD

fenderplayer110 : no no, there is a way. I can get that tone, but I'm also using the same amp Jimmy was (1959 Marshall SLP )
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Last edited by iain4444 at Jun 2, 2006,
If you have a mahogany-bodies Epi LP, then adding Gibson pickups will definately put you in the ballpark in terms of tone. The standard alder / mahogany models won't really sound like a Les Paul regardless of the pickups. The alder introduces too much of a loose low end to the overall tone to match a Gibson.

But regardless, Gibson pickups will make the guitar sound a lot better than stock Epi pickups. The difference will be night and day. You won't be disappointed.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
If you're adding Gibson pups to a Mahogany Epi, like the Standard Plain top, it will be very close to the Gibson Les Paul sound.

If you have an Elitist, you're already set. I believe the stock pups on the Elitist LPs are identicle to Gibson's, just with a different name for legal purposes.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^^ purists would argue the South American mahogany in the Gibby sounds better than the southeast Asian mahogany.
Quote by CustomCustom
^^ purists would argue the South American mahogany in the Gibby sounds better than the southeast Asian mahogany.

Agreed. South American mahogany is the most tonal of all. But even Gibson can't always keep this stuff in stock and often rely on the much heavier African mahogany which doesn't sound as good. However, it is better than Asian mahogany.

But still, with Asian mahogany, you're sounding a lot closer to a Gibson than with the mahogany alder sandwich that's the majority of the Epi line.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
^I agree. I'm also sure that Gibson uses cheaper African Mahogany when they run out of Honduras Mahogany, and probably Asian mahogany on the cheaper Gibsons-like the Specials for instance.

Really, if you upgrade the pups on a nice mahogany Epi, it will sound close to a Gibson. Not exact, but close enough that you won't really notice.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
With new pickups and pots, a bone nut, and some EQing, you could get damn close with an elitist or fairly close with a standard or custom.
^An Elitist will be EXTREMELY close to begin with. It has the same pups and wiring as a Gibson LP Standard. The only differences are the headstock and the body wood (sometimes). The Epi Elitist has African Mahogany and the Gibson has Honduras Mahogany in most cases.

The pickups are the same with a different name for legal purposes.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar