Hey guys. I have 3 quick questions.

1) If my guitar body is already laquered, could I paint a fairly small design on top of that and then laquer over everything?
2) Would a stencil a few sheets of wax paper thick taped to the guitar work as well as taping the whole guitar up (I've used this method to make shirts)?
3) Would regular acrylic paint work on a guitar as well as spray paint? Because I don't really have a good place to spray.

If any clarification is needed, just ask. Thanks for any help.

EDIT: disregard the first question
Last edited by hardrock1315 at Jun 3, 2006,
1) rough up the area you plan to paint your design on slightly before you paint it on then you should be fine to laquer over that.
2)if your happy with that stenciling method then go for it, but as i said above make sure you rough up the are.
3)you can use acrylic paint for intricate hand painted designs but ofor big one i would highly suggest spray paint, use dupli-color or something similar if you dont have a spray gun etc.
Quote by thesumoftwo
1) rough up the area you plan to paint your design on slightly before you paint it on then you should be fine to laquer over that.
2)if your happy with that stenciling method then go for it, but as i said above make sure you rough up the are.
3)you can use acrylic paint for intricate hand painted designs but ofor big one i would highly suggest spray paint, use dupli-color or something similar if you dont have a spray gun etc.

What exactly do you mean by "rough up"?

The design I'll be doing is a peace symbol about 6 inches in diameter.
by rough up i mean take some sand paper, about medium and just scuff the area so its slightly rough, that way when you come to putting the clearcoat on it will stick. Seeing as a peace symbol is quite an easy symbol i would suggest taping the design and then spraying it, just as slashnmash has done in his two projects with his two designs (the herbiecaster and aRGhzilla)
Actually, it'd be ideal to scuff sand the whole body with 400 grit paper, then spray your design and then lacquer over the whole body a couple times, that way you don't have any odd color changes or some weird transition from the poly to the lacquer by jsut spraying over in one spot.

And wax paper shodu lwork, as long as you have a way to stop the paint from dripping under the paper.

And acrylic will work, btw sumoftwo duplicolor is acrylic lacquer so it is essentially the same thing as acrylic paints.
Quote by kaplac
Actually, it'd be ideal to scuff sand the whole body with 400 grit paper, then spray your design and then lacquer over the whole body a couple times, that way you don't have any odd color changes or some weird transition from the poly to the lacquer by jsut spraying over in one spot.

And wax paper shodu lwork, as long as you have a way to stop the paint from dripping under the paper.

And acrylic will work, btw sumoftwo duplicolor is acrylic lacquer so it is essentially the same thing as acrylic paints.

Well the body I was gonna buy just got sold, so I'll probably just spend a little more and get an unfinished body from warmoth, so that really makes the first question not an issue. I think I'm gonna go with the wax paper and acrylic paint because it's worked with shirts many a time. Then I'll lacquer over the body. How many times should I lacquer?
dont use acrylic paint with a nitro celulose laquer or you will screw up your nice design. use a polymer based laquer over acrylic paint. you should use about 8-9 coats and then sand the whole thing with 2000 grit sand paper. then buff it with medium grit polish and an old cloth baby diaper. then do the same with a new diaper and fine polish.
^x2 sadning with 2000 will take a long time to get a realyl smooth finish. I'd recommend starting a bit lower like at 1000 or even 800 and slowly work your way up to 2000. And if you are like schecter you cna use an applicator pad you find at auto supply shops.

Btw where did the nitrocellulose lacquer thing come into play? I don't remmeber nitro being mentioned.