hi ppl,

i know absolutly nothing about pick ups!!!
can anyone recommend BETTER pick ups for my Epiphone G - 400 custom,
it has "57 classic humbuckers"?????
MAV!
klkl any is there and particular make or model of EMG's????

(i told you i know nothing of pick ups! if that was a stupid question)
MAV!
an 81/60 would be good for metallica

edit: or perhaps an 89 instead of the 81 at bridge for versitility.
Metallica did, in fact, use single coil ESP strats in "One', and likely other songs as well.

edit 2: look and see if you'll have to rout out more room for the 9V battery. If you dont want to rout for it, and don't have enough room, then look elsewhere. I an a huge porponent of Rio Grande pickups, and they have the "crinchbox" and :punchbox." I have never played them, but they should be decent for Metal, and they are passive.
Last edited by Afroman at Jun 2, 2006,
Quote by Afroman
an 81/60 would be good for metallica

Yeah, it's what Jaymz uses. I wouldn't recommend the 81/81 set that Kirk uses, as the 81 is a terrible neck pickup, but it's an amazing pridge pickup.
klkl cheers guys,
another question, does the number actually stand for anything??
MAV!
how much cash do you have, what amp, and what tones are you after?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
how much cash do you have, what amp, and what tones are you after?

Oh no. Oh no. He's about to do the same thing he always does when someone asks what pickup to get: go on and on about Bareknuckles.
money is not an option really,
i have a Marshall MG100DFX,
metallica-esk,
and what bout the middle humbucker, G-400 has 3?
MAV!
Quote by Holy Katana
Oh no. Oh no. He's about to do the same thing he always does when someone asks what pickup to get: go on and on about Bareknuckles.

HAHAHHAHAHAHA AHHAHAAHHAHA AHHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAH AHAHAHHAA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAH AHAHAHHAHA HAHAHAHAH ...that was funny :P
Originally Posted by Teleprompters
people taking dumps in my guitar case
Either Epiphone says no...you have 2 pickups or...you have the G400 Custom...
Originally Posted by Teleprompters
people taking dumps in my guitar case
Quote by Holy Katana

what about swineys?

he is in the UK, in my defence...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^

how much cash do you have, and what amp, and what type of music do you play?

EDIT: woops, just see you told us.

when you say money not an option, how much of a non-option is it? because if it's no option, you should be looking at a new amp, to be honest....
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ya man you need a new amp that MG is dog **** and not evenEMGs will save it
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Dave_Mc

what about swineys?

he is in the UK, in my defence...

True. When you told me to get them, it didn't make any sense, really. They would have cost me a Queen's ransom to ship, plus tariffs.
81/60, I have an 85 in my neck right now and I don't like the cleans (if there are any)
^^ there arent, 85 is just too hot, its peak output is actually higher than an 81s, just alnico vs. ceramic magnets. I had a LP Studio with 85 neck, just too much drive even with a chorus pedal. I dont even like the SA singles again too hot but the S sounds ok but doesnt sparkle like stock strat singles. 60 is your only HB option I feel EMGs are made to play dirty very well and cleans are a compromise.
Whats wrong with those humbuckers? I'd say if its not broken, don't fix it - that's what someone said to me.
Quote by dj_brooks22
Whats wrong with those humbuckers? I'd say if its not broken, don't fix it - that's what someone said to me.

Because it's expected for you to modify your guitar, unless it's custom-made.
Quote by Holy Katana
True. When you told me to get them, it didn't make any sense, really. They would have cost me a Queen's ransom to ship, plus tariffs.

true. I don't think you have to pay tariffs for them in the USA, though, I think the guys on the BK forums from the USA say they fal under the personal allowance or something.

Quote by Tim69
what better amp could i get for £300 then?

ashdown fallen angel combo (around £300, maybe a little more), marshall dsl401 (closer to £400), peavey classic 30 (again closer to £400), peavey valveking.

the ashdown is the heaviest sounding- like a slightly more modern sounding marshall tsl.

they'll sound best if you can crank them, though, as they're all-tube.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Maybe an EMG H4 and EMG H4a? With the right distortion you can get quite a good Metallica-esque sound.
Quote by Dardarian
Maybe an EMG H4 and EMG H4a? With the right distortion you can get quite a good Metallica-esque sound.

Eww. HZ's suck, and only Alexi uses them, and only because of his gain booster. If he used actives, it would make him sound harsh and unlistenable. For some reason, he likes that gain booster, although active EMGs have a very defined attack, which is what he uses the gain booster for.
Hmmm I kinda like them. The cleans ofcourse aren't all that good, but that's not really what the pickups were made for. Distorted these pickups pack quite a punch. But them again I haven't been playing guitar for a long time and I haven't heared a million different types of guitars and pickups like some other people on this forum have so I don't have all that much reference.

Done some googeling and a lot of other people also seem to like the EMG HZ pickups:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data2/EMG/HZ-01.html
Last edited by Dardarian at Jun 3, 2006,
Quote by Dardarian
Hmmm I kinda like them. The cleans ofcourse aren't all that good, but that's not really what the pickups were made for. Distorted these pickups pack quite a punch. But them again I haven't been playing guitar for a long time and I haven't heared a million different types of guitars and pickups like some other people on this forum have so I don't have all that much reference.

Done some googeling and a lot of other people also seem to like the EMG HZ pickups:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data2/EMG/HZ-01.html

and I just googled "mcfly rocks" and got 1,740,000 hits.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=mcfly+rocks

Just because a lot of people like them means nothing. Most of those guys probably haven't tried any better pickups, is all.

HZ's aren't good pickups, basically. An odd person may like them, but odds are, most people won't like them, especially if they've tried many universally accepted "good" pickups.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?