I posted a thread on here the other day stating that i was thinking of buying a Vox AC30 or a Marshall TSL JCM 2000. Well, i tried them out today. Both of them are good in thier own respects, but not what i was looking for (in terms of flexibility/range/ setting/sounds). Then i came across the British made HiWatt Hi-Gain 100 Watter and it blew my socks off. It's so bloody loud and yet versatile. It packs in two channels: one 'Clean', one 'Gain'... all fully footswitchable. The clean manages to provide warm, rich tones which are beautifully crystal clear, and the gain really impressed me. You can pull out crunch sounds that manage to replicate and even surpass what i could get out of the Marshall. And better yet, if you turn up the gain onto 10 you start reaching mesa territory... something i could not do with the Marshall.

I fully appreciate what this amp has to offer. Blending in vintage and modern sounds into one unit. HiWatt couldn't have done a better job.

What do you think?
Last edited by 12eTa1217e17 at Jun 3, 2006,
Did you buy it? I haven't played any HiWatt so I don't know but if it has everything you want why not go for it
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Hiwatt are famous for their great clean tones and their loudness.

Im not sure about the gain statement (because marshalls and mesas are pretty close together...) but If it works for you, get it.
I've heard some bad things about the durability of HiWatt amps.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll

Have you ever SEEN the inside of a HiWatt? Their wiring is a neat freak's paradise.
Well I know Jim Adkins went through 4 of them in a month while on tour. They kept breaking and HiWatt kept sending him replacements, which kept breaking too.

Finally he just gave up on them and is playing Vox AC30s.

*shrug*
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
when i had a hiwatt, the distortion would have a giant CLUNG sound, maybe it was a bass amp =P
Quote by FacingUsAll

They are military-grade(no kidding) amps.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Quote by love_O_rock
They are military-grade(no kidding) amps.

Yeah I know a couple of local guitarists who swear by em.

Maybe if you don't trash your rig you would be fine. Breaking four a month? Are you ****ing kidding me? He doesn't need to send em back to hiwatt, he needs to start firing roadies.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Yeah I know a couple of local guitarists who swear by em.

Maybe if you don't trash your rig you would be fine. Breaking four a month? Are you ****ing kidding me? He doesn't need to send em back to hiwatt, he needs to start firing roadies.

I read a story of a guy literally dropping one down a flight of stairs and then it playing completely fine .
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Quote by love_O_rock
I read a story of a guy literally dropping one down a flight of stairs and then it playing completely fine .

Hah, yeah. Someone around here has a story about someone going over a speed bump and knocking a 5150 out the back of the truck before (or after??) a gig. I guess it worked.

Some of those thigns are pretty indestructable.

I'd hate to blame an amp for breaking 4 a month.. There must be something up at that point. lol.
Quote by CodySG
Did you buy it? I haven't played any HiWatt so I don't know but if it has everything you want why not go for it

Haven't bought it as of yet. I just need to figure out how i'm going to earn myself a grand this summer

Although the newer versions are coming out pretty soon, so maybe the price will drop? Who knows...
I'd love one of the older ones like what Dave Gilmour uses but im not sure about the newer ones. I know a guy who works at the factory, I meant to ask him about the high gain ones but never did. Might try one out just to see. There quite cheap to aint they?
If you liked it, buy it!
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I most probably will.

One question though. I was thinking of buying the 50W version mainly because it is cheaper in price. I'm guessing that it'll be loud enough to hear over a drummer? Also, what are the disadvantages of switching down from 100W to 50W. Does the quality of the sound become affected in anyway?

And about the cabs. I tried out the 4x12 in the shop, but figuered a 2x12 would be more practical. Again, is their a big difference in sound quality when changing down?
^The 50watt version will sound better at lower volumes (and higher too), as the valves are pushed more than the 100watt version, but the 100watt version has more headroom and will be louder.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30