I'm probably going to buy an ESP H400, but I'm not sure which to get. I can have one with an EMG 81 set, or one with a Duncan JB and 59. Can you guys tell me which will produce a better sound? I play metal, but I'd like to get an okay clean tone, too.

linkage
for cleans and rock, i'd go for the jb/59. But, if you play mostly metal, the emgs might be a better choice. its all preference.
Quote by Tiamat
dont buy an amp, amps are just stupid.

Quote by t2russo
oiled... i like the feel of oiled wood in my hands... wow, that was homosexual...
wow, that's surprising to hear, ibanez. how could they be THAT bad for clean? cuz i'm thinking about poppin' in my 85. as well, i play distorted, but i'd like to get a nice clean sound too. i do have a single coil emg though
Quote by sethp
wow, that's surprising to hear, ibanez. how could they be THAT bad for clean? cuz i'm thinking about poppin' in my 85. as well, i play distorted, but i'd like to get a nice clean sound too. i do have a single coil emg though

Single coil EMG's kick ass, and this is a primarily blues player talking.
i find emgs are only good if you have a tube amp, so if you dont then i'd say go with the jb/'59 cuz it's a versatile set-up and still has very good tone. that's just me though. go to a shop and try them out if you can.
the jb was used by dave mustaine (megadeth) 4 every album, so if u like that sound then the jb could/should work 4 o and michael ammot of arch enemy uses the jb/59 combo ya thats about all i can say
Quote by frozen-dirt
Well, if the EMG cleans suck, will the duncans give me a good high-gain tone?

You could check out an EMG60 for the neck, I hear it has good cleans
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
The 60 has better cleans than any Duncan I've ever played (honestly). IT's clear, it's full, and has a great low end punch. I'd get teh one with EMGs, and swap out the 81 in the neck for a 60. I have played a guitar with an 81 in the neck, wasn't THAT bad but it's very trebly, sounds thin, unlike the 60 or to a lesser extent the 85.

EDIT: After looking at that pic there's an 85 in the neck. If you look closely you can see it's gold unlike the 81 which is silver and in the bridge. I thought that was interesting lol.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
the 81's are actually phenominal with clean sounds so long as you have a nice tube amp. people have this idea that an active high output pickup is only good for distortion, but that is only because they dont know how to turn the tone and volume knobs on their guitars.

go to www.emgpickups.com and listen i've got 3 guitars with emg81's and i can tell you that you wont be dissapointed with them in any aspect as long as you spend the time it takes to get familiar with them. they are definately better than any of the duncans in my opinion.
ma gear

"it's too hard man, don't even try"
-jason becker

"get those flabby fingers in shape"
-rusty cooley
Yeah, I don't like the 81's cleans really. I don't mind the 85's, i can do with it, but not the 81's, to dry.
EMGd DONT suck at cleans...just the 81

a 60 is one of the best pups for cleans...in my opinion
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
EMG 81/60 or 85/60 FTW

those are the best set ups for gain and cleans

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
It depends what your looking for if you play with your Mids scooped your gonna want to get the 81 in the bridge but if you play with alot of mids then i suggest the 85 in the bridge as it is more mid based
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Syn Harvest
It depends what your looking for if you play with your Mids scooped your gonna want to get the 81 in the bridge but if you play with alot of mids then i suggest the 85 in the bridge as it is more mid based

well the 85 has more bass too

and less highs.....

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Personaly I like the warmth and transparency of passive pickups, however if you play strictly metal then the EMG's may be a good choice, but then again they have passives that sound just as "metal" as any EMG
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
My op, a mid-oriented pup can't reach into scoop-oriented area as good as a scoop-oriented pup can reach into mid-oriented area............

Get a Swineshead Xbucker for that tone.......
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!