-Room acoustics
-Software
-Sound Card/Hardware
-Production/Mastering

All of these things make your stuff sound better. Of course, production and mastering is for a pro studio, and room acoustics are hard to avoid if you're broke. You can get some good hardware, like an AD firewire interface instead of the standard 1/4"->1/8" plug converter... it's expensive any way you cut it.
Looking for my India/Django.
A firewire audio interface is a piece of hardware that sits between your instruments/mics and your computer. They generally have somewhere between 1-8 mic preamps in them to record that many tracks simultaneously. A firewire cable then outputs to your computer so the audio can be transmitted digitally to your recording software.

Firewire is simply a computer interface connection, similar to USB and such.

simple firewire interface [Firebox]
advanced firewire interface [Firepod]
B-52 AT-100 -> Marshall 1936 -> Eastwood Johnny Ramone Elite
Last edited by vizo at Jun 2, 2006,
Microphone quality and placement is also key. For example, Led Zeppelin got great drum tracks just by using 2 mics hung from the ceiling over and in front of Bonzo's kit.
Hi, I'm Peter
not really. Good Sound card does a lot of processing so it requires inputs of tht quality, thts y a firewire is good. But in a crap sound card I don think it wud matter
Quote by hendo123456789
invincibleneo - you are one of the only people in this thread that talk sense.
^ actually, the way im reading, i dont think you are correct. if running a firewire interface that has all your inputs, you should be completly bypassing the soundcard when recording. if the soundcard is bypassed, then it should have absolutly no effect when you are recording. so if the line of signal goes mic-> external box-> firewire input-> recording prog then you have no soundcard. if you are running from the firewire interface into the soundcard for some reason, yes it will have an effect on your sound. the whole point of having an external interface that runs to firewire is to bypass the bad soundcard, so it will help.
^Right. Interfaces ARE sound cards. When you plug your guitar into a 1/4" to 1/8" converter, the ANALOG signal goes to your soundcard which makes it a DIGITAL signal for the CPU to work with.
I have absolutely no idea why this works, but it does for me. Use your head phones. Yea thats right, headphones. When i used my headphones and played (since my dad was getting kinda pissed lol) everythign i played sounded better. It also seemed to have more distortion. I dunno why. So then i just plugeed my headphones in and placed my mic right on top of the head phone speaker, and now i record a loooooot better than i used to.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

^beatles did that in sgt. peppers lonely hearts club band.
Quote by hendo123456789
invincibleneo - you are one of the only people in this thread that talk sense.
Quote by NovemberRain273
I have absolutely no idea why this works, but it does for me. Use your head phones. Yea thats right, headphones. When i used my headphones and played (since my dad was getting kinda pissed lol) everythign i played sounded better. It also seemed to have more distortion. I dunno why. So then i just plugeed my headphones in and placed my mic right on top of the head phone speaker, and now i record a loooooot better than i used to.

You're mistaking "better" for something else...

When you put it through headphones and mic them, you're not getting the full tonal range of the signal going into the headphones. You're getting a sort of filter on your sound... and thus, you aren't hearing any of the ugly stuff. We all know you hear your mistakes much more clearly with louder amps NOT because they simply are louder, but because when you turn it up louder you're getting more of the tonal range and can hear more.

Sure, the Beatles did it for a single recording, but it is by no means a "good" way to record.
^ Yea but its kinda hard to make a mistake when playing a simple powerchord for instance, and it does sound better. I didnt know about the louder/mistake thign though. I havent had a chance to play with a loud amp though so....yea :p
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?