What do you Gals/girls do to help you reach further on the frets....i grab a tennis ball and put one figer on one seam and then the other on the other seam and stretch apart....weird..?
[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b231/Loserkidblink182/avatomcopy.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b231/Loserkidblink182/tomtom6copy.jpg[/img]
Guitar exercises work better than anything else... as dumb and obvious as that sounds, I always found that non-guitar based exercises don't work.
Looking for my India/Django.
Put your index finger on the first fret of the low E string. Fret a note as far up on that string with your middle finger. Repeat process for each finger. Do this a lot.
lol, oh...ive never tried doing it that way...very straight forward
[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b231/Loserkidblink182/avatomcopy.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b231/Loserkidblink182/tomtom6copy.jpg[/img]
I do this up and down the neck, backwards and forwards.

Track 1
     S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S  
E||------------------------5---------|
B||------------------5---3-----------|
G||------------5---3---1-------------|
D||------5---3---1-------------------|
A||----3---1-----------------------1-|
E||--1-----------------------1-3-5---|

S E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E    
----------------------------------1--3--5--||
-------------------------1--3--5-----------||
----------------1--3--5--------------------||
-------1--3--5-----------------------------||
--3-5--------------------------------------||
-------------------------------------------||
Quote by silentdud
I do this up and down the neck, backwards and forwards.

Track 1
S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S
E||------------------------5---------|
B||------------------5---3-----------|
G||------------5---3---1-------------|
D||------5---3---1-------------------|
A||----3---1-----------------------1-|
E||--1-----------------------1-3-5---|

S E E E E E E E E E E E E E
----------------------------------1--3--5--||
-------------------------1--3--5-----------||
----------------1--3--5--------------------||
-------1--3--5-----------------------------||
--3-5--------------------------------------||
-------------------------------------------||
Your goal should be to not need your pinky to play that.
well idealy he can play this with the finger combos: 1,2,4 1,3,4 1,2,3 and 2,3,4

once you have that down you will be able to play pretty much any stretch.. ill do like 7 frets from pointer to pinky sometimes. When you can do atleast one fret in between each finger at a time, you are set. you can play most stretches.
Last edited by silentdud at Jun 3, 2006,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Your goal should be to not need your pinky to play that.

Why would you NOT want to use your pinky, even in a real circumstance playing that lick?

Your pinky should be practiced much, it's a very useful digit.

Quote by Slurgi
Why would you NOT want to use your pinky, even in a real circumstance playing that lick?

Not *need* to, rather than not want to. As it would focus on stretching your fingers.

However what would be more beneficial IMO would be to learn to not need to use your index finger to play it.
No, honey, its part of 4nps playing. Then there IS a two frets per finger rule, the largest stretch being WWW, in theory. My teacher didnt lie to me, i am a teacher. And i wouldnt lie to you.
This exercise from Petrucci's Rock Discipline work for all the fingers:

E:--14---14---8----8-------
A:--12---10--10---12------
D:--10---12--12---10------
E:---8-----8--14---14------
G:-----------------------------
B:-----------------------------

Repeat moving one string
Quote by Slurgi

Oh, the pinky needs a lot of practice, but playing that lick without your pinky requires a pretty nasty stretch.
Quote by TimmyHendriix
How good is it for your fingers to stretch them like that anyway? Not too sure but seems like it could be bad.

As long as your fingers are properly warmed up and stretched a bit beforehand, it should be fine. I wouldn't recommend doing it 'cold' without some chromatic warmups or whatever. At least for me the bones that pass above my palm tend to get locked up into eachother without warming up.