hhmmm let's see
i'm a guitarist, and i want a bass
i listen to megadeth, children of bodom and british heavy metal like black sabbath and iron maiden
I'd prefer a 5 stringer with a wicked shape , and good tone too
any ideas? I'm not a bass expert
ibanez GAXB is short scale, if it helps, so is the fender/squier bronco bass or whatever.
Fender Jazz Basses have beautiful tone and a nice shape.

when looking at basses it's better to stay for a standard shape, much easier to play and more reliable(not getting in the way)
Price range?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Quote by seek_&_destroy
hhmmm let's see
i'm a guitarist, and i want a bass
i listen to megadeth, children of bodom and british heavy metal like black sabbath and iron maiden
I'd prefer a 5 stringer with a wicked shape , and good tone too
any ideas? I'm not a bass expert

A, 'wicked' shape? IMO all 'metal' shaped basses tend to look just tacky and cheap. Under no circumstances should you buy a bass pureply on looks.. though that's pretty obvious anyway... however, good 5 stringers you're probably looking at an Ibanex SR505 or the BTB 5 stirng, assuming there both in your price range of course.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
you say short scale, is that gonna affect the range of playability? i understand that it would be easier, but i don't want to compromise quality. price range, about $500-600 can, the thing is i don't know about the shape though, cuz i'm willing to adapt if it is hard to play or "gets in the way", oh and if it means anything, my influences on the bass are cliff burton, david ellefson and the guy from RHCP
Don't get a jazz. If my memory serves correctly, David Ellefson, Geezer Butler and Steve Harris all use P-basses. Not sure about the COB bassist. Go with a P-bass if you're going to get a fender.
^agreed, the trebly bass tone of Ellefson, Burton and Harris could be best emulated with a P Bass I think...

<EDIT> I know they have 5 string J Basses but do they have 5 string P's?

But anyways, heres a pretty good 5er to start on...Its 400 USD, sorry I dont know how much that is in Canadian...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Stiletto-Deluxe5-Bass?sku=513048
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jun 3, 2006,
Quote by seek_&_destroy
what's the price range for 5 stringed fender p's?

too much...Check out the link to the bass I put in my previous post...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
About 1,200 - 1,300 for an american deluxe p-bass. But if they have just standard american ones, they'll be much cheaper.
first, a short scale bass is fine for four strings. but for a five string, you need a minimum of 35 inches (which is extra long), or there'll be issues with the low b.
also, unlike most of the other folks here, i'm not a fender guy.
right now, i'm playing a musicman sub that i got for about $600. great feel, good tone, gigantic humbucker. i haven't found much that i like better. if you're willing to blow a grand or two, the musicman bongo has a unique look to it (angular, but not cheesy or pointy), two huge humbuckers, and a massive amount of low end.
i'm also a fan of g&l basses. flat fretboard radius isn't for everyone, and i don't know that they'd be too great for metal. but even the korean g&L's play better than most fenders i've gotten my hands on.
so i suppose i'm a leo fender man...just not a fender man.
hhhmm i'll have to try some out, thanx for your help everyone, one thing i'd like to mention about 5 stringed p's, the thing that pisses me off is that there are five tuning heads on the top and one on the bottom

wtf

either have it all on one side or distribute it, IMO it looks retarded. But guess it is the best bass for me. I'll have to go to a store and try some. thanx again
Quote by seek_&_destroy
what's the price range for 5 stringed fender p's?

Whooo... about $1500 American.

You might want to look into an ESP. If you do, though, stay away from the cheaper ones. Theyre made of Agathis, a wood with tone qualities similar to those of particleboard.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-F255FM-5String-Bass-?sku=516773
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Quote by grimreaper65
About 1,200 - 1,300 for an american deluxe p-bass. But if they have just standard american ones, they'll be much cheaper.

if you're just looking to start on bass, i wouldn't spend that much money. i highly reccomend musicman sub's.
also, peavey makes probably the nicest bass i've played for under $300. check out the millenium bxp if you're on a budget. i sell them at work, so i've played around on them quite a bit. they beat the piss out of washburn. and the narrow neck will probably make for an easier reach for those guitarist hands.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Millennium-BXP-4String-Bass-Guitar?sku=511369&src=3SOSWXXA

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Music-Man-S.U.B.-X02-4String-Bass?sku=511289