I've bummed some music theory books off my band directer at school, seeing as schools over and i'm stuck, i've come to UG. I got to a chapter on intervals, at first i got it fine, but then it added a key signature, and i'm not sure if that changes the interval. The first one that stumped me, was in the key of G, and the question asked for the interval between G and F. Because The key of G makes all Fs sharp, does that change the interval to 7 1/2? I think so, but in the book there were no examples with 1/2 of an interval.
Quote by R0CKER1220
I've bummed some music theory books off my band directer at school, seeing as schools over and i'm stuck, i've come to UG. I got to a chapter on intervals, at first i got it fine, but then it added a key signature, and i'm not sure if that changes the interval. The first one that stumped me was in the key of G, and the question asked for the interval between G and F. Because The key of G makes all Fs sharp, does that change the interval to 7 1/2? I think so, but in the book there were no examples with 1/2 of an interval.
Every interval has two components...
1. size, and
2. quality

Therefore, evaluating intervals naturally lends itself to a two-part process...
1. Determine the size of the interval, and then
2. determine the quality of the interval.

Using your example, the size of the G-to-F interval is a seventh. We determine this by counting every line and space from G to F, inclusive, regardless of the key signature or any accidentals you might encounter along the way. Another way to do this is to simply keep count as you name the basic notes from G to F:
G (1), A (2), B (3), C (4), D (5), E (6) and F (7).

Explaining how to determine the quality of this 7th would take more writing than I want to tackle in this post, so please allow me to simply tell you that the quality of the G-to-F# (remember the key signature!) interval is a major 7th.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Quote by R0CKER1220
aw, damn book didn't go into quality

w/e must be for a later lesson.
Ok, thank you gpb, i hope to one day be as wise as you are in Music Theory
Thank you for your kind words, but I wouldn't know squat if I hadn't had some excellent teachers.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.