I have just discovered a awesome band

It's called Death From Above 1979, this band is completely guitarless! How do they do that?!?!? It's sort of like a heavy punk band (NOT EMO!!!), what they do is have the bass in like super overdrive to provide a sweet fuzzy crunch like sound thats deeper and heavier than most heavy metal bands. what really gets me is that it's only a two man band! A drummer and a bassist (although they do tend to slip a synthesiser ocasionally). Usually two man bands are really limited however they were able to produce a cool sound. Check em' out. (Recommended songs: Blood on our hands, Romantic rights)
umm i doubt that anything over 3% of the people on UG HAVENT heard of DFA.

i dont really like it that much. theyre not bad.. but he sometimes plays it like a lead guitar, tho not a bad thing... i dunno i just dont like that style of bass as much.
I haven't heard of DFA
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
ive heard of them. only seen them play one song on connan. it was cool though because the drummer sings and he got off the drums do sing and Max ran over and got on the drums.
Lead bass is only cool (IMO) on songs like Call Of Kutulu
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
Quote by Beleuchtung
Lead bass is only cool (IMO) on songs like Call Of Ktulu

Fixed

I thought DFA is pretty cool, I think I might go try and learn Blood On Our Hands.
Proud Member Of The Bass Militia

PM Nutter_101 To Join
mucho thanx ktulu always throws me. every since i got use to the book spelling it like Cutukultu or something to that effect.
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

PM NightmareXT To Join!

Quote by Beleuchtung
mucho thanx ktulu always throws me. every since i got use to the book spelling it like Cutukultu or something to that effect.

Cthulu.

Anyway, my friend listens to DFA 1979 a lot. Though, i still have yet to listen to them. Hrm. May want to now.
Proud member of The Bass Militia! PM IndieMetalhead to join!

Quote by Fast_Bear
You know your a Bassist when you practice near the ocean, and whales respond.
Dude, wouldnt a lead bass weigh a ton?

Thats crazy.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
no, why do you say that?
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry

PM NightmareXT To Join!

Because its made of lead.

15 pounds is about all my shoulders can handle.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
I've seen one video of them.

I actually sort of like the song, I just don't think the playing is very impressive. It sounds good though.
:rofl: i dident even notice it was "lead bass"
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry

PM NightmareXT To Join!

Yeah, a lead bass would probably only be good in heavy metal.

Badump- chhhhh!

Quote by metalstillsucks
Yeah, a lead bass would probably only be good in heavy metal.

Badump- chhhhh!

good one tho..
I thought I would've earned at least one sig off that.

no not cleaver enough.......BTW metal never sucked.
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry

PM NightmareXT To Join!

^A cleaver is what you use to chop meat.

Metal is for people who cant hit the right notes on a guitar.

I have nothing against some of its more talented bass players though. trujillo knows his stuff.

He just happens to be wasting it though on all the crappy new metallica albums.

surely tho you dont think all of metal is talentless.

its really the nu metal and metalcoreists that give troo metal a bad name.
Quote by mangablade

well said, i mean come on your telling me Steve Harris and Cliff Burton sucked?
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry

PM NightmareXT To Join!

^ mangablade is right, and metalstillsucks is a closed minded bitter (yeah thats right you wish you had half the talent that metal artists have) smartarse.

Now on topic, I haven't heard anything from these guys but I have heard their name mentioned a few times on the forums, might check them out some time.
Quote by mangablade

I didnt say that all metal is talentless. Fieldy is a crazy awesome bassist, and kerry king is pretty cool.

And I'm not close minded, I used to worship Gwar and Metalllica last year. But then all these crazy satanic metal heads took over my school. They were the close- minded ones. It drove me crazy with all the darkness and angst, so I switched over to Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, and now I just cant stand Heavy metal . I'm done defending myself, so go ahead and get back on subject.

I'm sure you are done with it but you can't not expect reprecutions when making stupid statements like that, especially when you say "Fieldy is a crazy awesome bassist, and kerry king is pretty cool." . First of all most people don't think Fieldy is much of a bassist at all plus his band is 'Nu-Metal' which is technically not metal at all (regardless of the name), second of all Kerry King is a guitarist for Slayer a thrash metal band, not a bassist, Tom Araya is their bassist.

And just because 'some kids at school' had extreme tastes doesn't mean you can pay-out whole music catergories and stir people up, thats all.

*^Sorry about the rant there.

Oh and on topic, does DFA1979's bassist do layered tracks in the bands recordings or is it just him doing lead bass?.
I know Kerry King is the guitarist. I'm not retarded. He is in a metal band though, thats what we were discussing.

I think fieldy is kinda cool, the whole beat-the-life-out-of-your-strings thing is kind of fun to watch live.

I guess i kind of have payed out the whole stereotype a little too much. Done

DFA 1979 is a great band. I use their name as a metaphor for any one-on-one jams I have with drummers. I just had one today in fact.

Cool basslines, and very effective.
Quote by Cobalt Blue
ive heard of them. only seen them play one song on connan. it was cool though because the drummer sings and he got off the drums do sing and Max ran over and got on the drums.

Thats the coolest thing ever!