Hey everyone, my dad just bought another guitar, a 1989 Fender HM stratocaster. At $280 it wasnt bad considering it came all original w/ the fender knobs and kahler licensed trem and a hard case...Not a bad guitar at all (A great alternative to Ibanez or something for a shredder's guitar, I <3 the neck on it.) but I'm wondering about the pickups.

I brought it home and plugged it into my beast, strummed a few chords, looked at the pickup. Paused. Looked at the les paul on the wall. Hmm. It appears to be identical. So I yank 'er open and sure enough, The bridge pickup is by Dimarzio USA. Its got two rows of allen bolt polepieces just like the LP standard on the wall, I'm thinking this is a Dimarzio Super Distortion??

The middle pickup is probably a dimarzio too, doesn't have a magnet on the bottom, but its got red and white wires and one of the super hard plastic covers like my bro's dimarzio YJM. Its got flat polepieces with no stagger

The Neck pickup is pretty hot for the neck, its got flat polepieces as well, except the top is bevelled/rounded, its got a magnet on the bottom.

I'm guessing either A: They came stock in the guitar in 1989 or B: they were replaced. The other HM Strat which was in the shop (they got 3 in at once from someone who traded in for a nice ESP they had on the wall) had identical pickups so either the owner liked the setup or they're stock.

My guess is they're two dimazio singles and a super D. Sounds really similar to the one in my LP Standard.

The configuration is also weird.

Its got the whole fender setup, 5 way switch, VOL/TONE/TONE.. And a 2 position switch.. I'm thinking this is set up for a coil split on the humbucker.

The weirdest part, out of all of these, is the tone pots. When you rotate them to about 5 or so they sort of 'click' and stick there. I popped open the cavity and they have 6 tabs each, so they're like.. stacked or something. I'm wondering how that would work or how I activate them, because they arent push/pull pots or anything.
I'm guessing either A: They came stock in the guitar in 1989 or B: they were replaced.

well no s**t what else could have happened?
Quote by GuitarsRock41
I'm guessing either A: They came stock in the guitar in 1989 or B: they were replaced.

well no s**t what else could have happened?

Well, I pointed out later that the guy had 3 identical guitars with the same pickup config. Now, thats pretty weird, isnt it?

Maybe I'm uncertain how many were replaced?

Maybe you're getting reported for spamming my thread? thanks for the help.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Well, I pointed out later that the guy had 3 identical guitars with the same pickup config. Now, thats pretty weird, isnt it?

Maybe I'm uncertain how many were replaced?

Maybe you're getting reported for spamming my thread? thanks for the help.

According to StratCollector.com, there were a lot of pickups you could get with the Heavy Metal Strat, including DiMarzio humbuckers. So, I really don't know what the singles are.
****. Thats downright dastardly.

These singles don't really sound stock, the middle is definitely a more vintage pickup. But the neck is almost as hot as my Trilogy Suite from BKP.

Does anyone have a clue about the tone pots? They're weird!
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Jun 3, 2006,
You have a TBX tone control, typical for those configurations with the DiMarzios. I have one just like it, a Fender MIJ Strat except the tremolo is stamped Fender TREM EX, and on the opposite end, in smaller stamping, it says Licensed FR.

From GuitarElectronics:

"Some Fender guitars come equipped with a special pot called a TBX Tone Control T (treble) B (bass) X (Cut) that cuts either treble or bass instead of a tone pot that cuts treble frequencies only. This is done with a ganged 500K-1M ohm control pot that is wired to work as a low-pass filter in one direction and a high-pass filter in the opposite direction. A center detent in the middle position is provided for the off or "flat" position. Although Fender altered their Start tone configuration to have the TBX control the middle and bridge pickups, it can be also be wired as a master treble/bass control. The TBX can also be used in place of any standard tone control on any guitar."
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
****. Thats downright dastardly.

These singles don't really sound stock, the middle is definitely a more vintage pickup. But the neck is almost as hot as my Trilogy Suite from BKP.

Does anyone have a clue about the tone pots? They're weird!

As quoted above, they're stacked pots. BTW, those are going to be a b!tch to modify only because I've yet to find a pickguard that will accomodate the wider trem. I'm at the point of just buying a regular pickguard and "cutting" them to fit.
Doesn't have a pickguard!

I've been known to make my own custom pickguards anyway.

but the description seems to be right.

I'm just wondering what the 2 way toggle does. Is it a coil tap?

An lemme get this straight---

Does each control work for a different pickup? or is one a boost/cut for treble and one a boost/cut for bass?

I like the trebly tone I can get out of it, but the bass sounds kinda mushy..
How do you like the LKT? Its an excellent design IMO and it sounds like a Super D to me
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
the LKT is the humbucker? I don't really like it. Its a bit to fizzy/fuzzy for my tastes.

I'm thinking about changing the pickups to my BKP, some EMGs, or maybe a JB and Hotrail. Not sure.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Jun 4, 2006,
lol

Does anyone have a hint as to what these pickups are ? Or am I still in the dark?

I think I might replace the bridge pickup, not sure about the other two tho.
Stock pickups for the '89 were a Dimarzio Super Distortion 3 and 2 standard Strat single coils. The ones you have have got to be mods. Later ones had a Seymour Duncan humbucker.

As far as the tone pots, everything below 5 (the notched position) is supposed to sound like a standard strat tone pot. Everything above five is supposed to increase the brightness and presence beyond that.

The switch is a coil tap for the humbucker.