what is that called when somebody places their right (picking) hand on the far right of the neck, to use as a capo, and then uses their left hand from the top of the fretboard, to play a whole bunch of notes, kinda like tapping??

whats that called and how do i do it?

heres a video of what im talking about.

ther guy on the right does it at 1:50, its awsome

by the way enjoy the video
Quote by Alter-Bridge
My nipples. WHAT ARE THEY FOR?!?!?!?!
Quote by nick dixon
Put your penis in a raging hot fire, that should melt the bottle off
Quote by Leonheart
4e574e57363g, despite your first post on a thread almost always being PWNT you kickass.
he's just using his picking hand to deaden the strings so that there's no unwanted noise as he hammers on the strings. Vai and Satriani do it every so often. It's really just playing all with hammer on and pull offs and as I said, the picking hand does no "capo-ing" it just kills string noise. The whole hand ofer the top of the neck thing is just to show off.
what it called though?

damn i thought it was used as a capo, and then just some crazy tapping
Quote by Alter-Bridge
Quote by nick dixon
Quote by Leonheart
4e574e57363g, despite your first post on a thread almost always being PWNT you kickass.
String dampening, or muffling it using the right hand.

You can also do this and still pick with your right hand by just tying a piece of cloth on the 1st fret, this eliminates the unfretted notes noise and also eliminates the 1st fret access and open string access. Batio use a special kind of sorta like capo, with a spunge attach to the end to eliminate noises since he's also a tap artist.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
ok cool thanks people
Quote by Alter-Bridge
Quote by nick dixon
Quote by Leonheart