should i get one with channel switch or not? Could you explain more about it the advantages and disadvantages of it because I dont totally understand the point. I know channel switch makes it s so you can go from clean to distorted by clicking it. how does this work... cus the single channel ones are always cleans but they get driven to overdrive. thanks
Last edited by Devon8822 at Jun 3, 2006,
Two channels triggers an extra circuit that adds more gain via footswitch or button on the amplifier. OR it can also switch to a seperate channel with more gain, thusly switching you to a distortion tone.

Master Volume heads are amps with a preamp volume (aka gain/distortion control) and then a seperate master volume which controls overall volume. To get distortion on a tube/valve amp (same thing, different regional name) you have to turn up the 'gain' or preamp volume. If you do this, your amp is very loud. Now, if oyu have a master volume it controls the overall level of the volume while letting you crank up the preamp/gain knob for a raunchy distortion.

So essentially, if you have an amp with 2-3 channels you could switch them to get different tones, such as clean and distortion.

Master volumes; however, give you a preamp gain/distortion control and an overall volume control.

Thats kinda confusing/messy, but I'm out of it. If you need help I can rephrase it for ya.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Jun 3, 2006,
the tonal difference is minute...but the master volumes are said to be the best sounding.

but i think its pretty irrelevent...get whichever you can get for the cheapest.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Genious!!!! that really cleared things up for me thanks alot genocide. what is considered better. Do people tend to go for the master or channel? Is there any tonal difference. and if i have a master is there any way i can switch from clean to distortion at all???
Quote by Devon8822
Genious!!!! that really cleared things up for me thanks alot genocide. what is considered better. Do people tend to go for the master or channel? Is there any tonal difference. and if i have a master is there any way i can switch from clean to distortion at all???

did you read my post above yours?

i think i answered 2 of your 4 questions...

people don't "go" for either version...they get whichever they can get for the best price really. since the jcm800's stopped being made in 1988 they are pretty pricey. the master volume vertical input models are the best sounding and most sought after.

as for switching between clean and dist. on a master volume 2203/4 jcm800...yes you can but you need a simple switcher...basically the master volume has 2 inputs...a low gain and a high gain. the low is pretty much always clean even when you turn the volume way up...the high is almost always distorted unless you turn the preamp all the way down..but its still dirty. get a switcher...so you can have 2 plugs..one to the high and one to to low...then switch between the two inputs.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals