Why is timing more difficult than learning rhythm / scales / leads / and modes?

The best players in the world in a band that doesn't play tight, sounds awful and absolutely hideous.

My advice to you young players out there... remember that timing is just as, or more important than skill.
I've never had a problem with timing...or rhythm...or anything with guitar for that matter...

Does that mean I'm a prodigy?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
i have natural rhythm i guess. the thing with rock is that the primary time comes from whatever the drummer is doing. everyone else has to fit to him.
^2nded. I too have a natural rythym, I'm constanly tapping stuff out on random surfaces.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
yea i agree. i used to play drums i have forgotten most of it but i renenber that everyone counts on the drummer and if the drummer is wrong everyone is wrong
malyn sprite spear
Get a Metronome
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
Timing - Rhythm - Transition is all separate categories.

It's easy to tap or strum on a beat... but consistent rhythm on 1-3 or 2-4-2-1 or 1-3-4 and etc.... then transition to another pattern isn't all that simple. (if it was, all bands would be tight)

I agree that the drummer is the back-bone... but to get tighter, I would suggest a metronome. It's a single consistent tick to get and even tighter tight timing... while the drums have a *bong* / reverb-ish sound that a guitarist can play sloppy within that frame.... but a tight band is dead on.