Page 1 of 2
anybody else notice that Gibson shaved an inch off the PERFECTION that is a Les Paul body to make it lighter for female guitarists?
not to mention stripping it down to 1 tone, 1 volume control...

http://www.gibson.com/Products/GibsonElectric/Gibson%20Electric%20Guitars/LesPaul/Les%20Paul%20Vixen/

http://www.gibson.com/Products/GibsonElectric/Gibson%20Electric%20Guitars/LesPaul/Les%20Paul%20Goddess/

i love my 10 lb. beast of a guitar and i think these models look anemic.

your thoughts?
Imagine if you were a drummer, and you accidentally picked up two magic wands instead of sticks. There you are, keeping the beat, the next thing you know, your bass player turns into a can of soup.
I think have the real thing or nothing at all, I agree with you, I am a girl and if i ever had the money to buy a LP i will not be getting one of them. That just makes me feel pathetic
I'm gonna live forever and if I don't suceed i'll die trying.
Originally posted by Liberation
Damn. You win Master Shake. I am not worthy!
My thoughts? Gibson has sold out. Give me an Epiphone any day. At least they don't make you sell a kidney to be able to afford the name on the headstock.

As for the Gibson Goddess, the whole premise of a LP IS THE WEIGHT. The weight give sustain and tone. That's why they make them heavy! My God...Not only does Gibson charge an arm and a leg for their regular models, they charge an arm and a leg for their POS gimmick models as well.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Gibson's just a company trying to market a product. Actually, as far as most female-oriented guitars, the Gibson is pretty tasteful. I hold nothing against them for doing that. Not everyone is the same size or strength as me. That's like saying Taylor or Martin can't produce 3/4 size guitars for children or small women because it's a violation of some purity standard that they make anything but full size dreadnaughts. Silly to be offended, IMO.
Hi, I'm Peter
Very simple, they won't stay afloat and will be worth something on ebay in a few deacades, and just don't buy it if you don't like it.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Gibson sold out? I can understand when people say that about artists, but when it comes to a business, that is an organization with a very focused effort to make money, isn't selling out the idea? It's not like they did this to the actual LP. Then I'd be on your side.
My grandpappy gave me is old 57 LP and it weights like 96lbs. I have one boob bigger than the other because of the weight on my shoulder
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
The thing that gets me is that they simplified the controls. Are women not smart enough to work independant volume and tone knobs? Making it lighter is understandable, since heay guitars will wreak on you psture, but dumbing down the controls is a bit insulting and unnecessary.
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
Quote by Xenn99
My thoughts? Gibson has sold out. Give me an Epiphone any day. At least they don't make you sell a kidney to be able to afford the name on the headstock.

As for the Gibson Goddess, the whole premise of a LP IS THE WEIGHT. The weight give sustain and tone. That's why they make them heavy! My God...Not only does Gibson charge an arm and a leg for their regular models, they charge an arm and a leg for their POS gimmick models as well.

Very well said. My thoughts exactly.
Spiral Out
thats what i'm saying its just insulting!! (aimed with hoobariffer87)
I'm gonna live forever and if I don't suceed i'll die trying.
Originally posted by Liberation
Damn. You win Master Shake. I am not worthy!
the whole premise of a LP IS THE WEIGHT. The weight give sustain and tone. That's why they make them heavy!

exactly my thought....if they want to market to a female audience..that's fine..but the Les Paul's tone comes from 2 inches of solid mahogany goddammit!
Imagine if you were a drummer, and you accidentally picked up two magic wands instead of sticks. There you are, keeping the beat, the next thing you know, your bass player turns into a can of soup.
Quote by Stop Messin'
My grandpappy gave me is old 57 LP and it weights like 96lbs. I have one boob bigger than the other because of the weight on my shoulder

Dammit, why didn't either of my grandpas play guitar?

I actually like the Goddess (well, the SG Goddess), and I'm a guy. Until the threadstarter mentioned it, I never realized that they were geared towards women.
Quote by GnRrelease_it

exactly my thought....if they want to market to a female audience..that's fine..but the Les Paul's tone comes from 2 inches of solid mahogany goddammit!

Before you get too bent up over that, they're still making the full-size LP's
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
Quote by Dirk Gently
Gibson's just a company trying to market a product. Actually, as far as most female-oriented guitars, the Gibson is pretty tasteful. I hold nothing against them for doing that. Not everyone is the same size or strength as me. That's like saying Taylor or Martin can't produce 3/4 size guitars for children or small women because it's a violation of some purity standard that they make anything but full size dreadnaughts. Silly to be offended, IMO.

+1

I really don't see why this is a huge issue. From a business point of view, it makes perfect sense. The guitars are tasteful, not like the hideous Hello Kitty strats. And let's face, LPs are big ass pieces of wood, and that can be a turn off for a lot of guitarists, particularly women. Gibson are addressing a complaint many potential consumers have with their products and widening their base of potential consumers. Gibson is a company and making money is what companies do. I don't blame them for it. And as a player, do I particularly want one of these guitars? No. As Xenn said, the weight is pretty much the whole point of getting a LP. But do I have a problem with Gibson offering this product as an option for those turned off by the extreme weight of it's other models? Not at all. Are their better options for those searching for a light LP-like guitar. Yeah, probably. But if someone wants a light Gibson LP, well, here it is.

Quote by Holy Katana

I actually like the Goddess (well, the SG Goddess), and I'm a guy. Until the threadstarter mentioned it, I never realized that they were geared towards women.

While it IS pretty obviously geared towards female players, I haven't seen the Goddess actually marketed as a guitar for female players either.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Last edited by invisible_man at Jun 3, 2006,
Quote by TimmyPage06
Epiphone Elitist = Gibson Quality
Epiphone Standard + Pickup Change = Gibson

Basically.. Gibby's gettin owned.

yessssss... thats what i say

oh... well i actually like the finishes on the goddess... those are some pretty guitars. if it had all the specs of a normal Les Paul i might look into one of them
Quote by danilo19
thats dumb but whatever i dont care i cant afford a gibson

my thoughts exactly, gibsons are amazing. But i hate them because i cant afford them.
Gear:
Yamaha f-310 acoustic
Epiphone Les paul standard plus
Line 6 spider II 30 watt
Digitech Metal Master
Epiphone has been making way better guitar lately than Gibson has.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Quote by Stop Messin'
Epiphone has been making way better guitar lately than Gibson has.

yeah seems like every guitar world i open up has more and more artist using epiphones. I have a epi les paul standard (plus) and its wonderfull, the pickups could be better but you can upgrade them for alot les then buying a gibson.
Gear:
Yamaha f-310 acoustic
Epiphone Les paul standard plus
Line 6 spider II 30 watt
Digitech Metal Master
I have an epi les paul custom.GREAT GUITAR!,but if i had the money i ould probaly get a gibson les paul custom
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
I love Les Pauls but i'm starting to hate Gibson now. The '06 models are just plain disgusting looking. Pink, purple with 2 knobs? That's not Gibson. It sounds more like Daisy Rock or Hello Kitty. I have a Gretsch that i was thinking of selling and buying an Epi. Epi's are impressing me lately.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468

it's true
Quote by Stop Messin'
I love Les Pauls but i'm starting to hate Gibson now. The '06 models are just plain disgusting looking. Pink, purple with 2 knobs? That's not Gibson. It sounds more like Daisy Rock or Hello Kitty. I have a Gretsch that i was thinking of selling and buying an Epi. Epi's are impressing me lately.

yesssssss
go standard plain top... its amazzzzzzing

or a black beauty if you have the money... thats the best guitar ive ever played.
WTF guys.... WTF.....
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
You snobs are such knee-jerk reactionaries. It's kind of pathetic.
Hi, I'm Peter
I think it's a lame idea. Gibson is pretending to be attentive to female guitarist's needs, but all they really care about is expanding their market share. The way they go about it is not only gimmicky and transparent, but also counter-productive to gender equality.

Making scaled-down LPs for women is like telling them that they are not able/allowed to use regular LPs. Giving women's models two knobs instead of four... what kind of message is this sending to female guitarists? And all the fluffy colours only serve to promote sexist stereotypes.

The whole idea of "mens" and "womens" guitars is ridiculous. Would they make "womens" Cellos, Pianos and Trumpets too? Musical instruments should be available in different sizes to accomodate different people, but to segregate them by gender doesn't make any sense.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

You tell that to my 5'1" wife with a 36D chest who can't fit around a dreadnaught Martin. The fact is, you hold a guitar differently than any of those other instruments, so size and comfort are considerations you don't have with a piano, trumpet, or cello.
Hi, I'm Peter
Please read the last sentence in my post.

Btw, if the Dreadnought is uncomfortable, Martin also makes 000 guitars. And they don't label them "womens."

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Quote by TimmyPage06
Epiphone Elitist = Gibson Quality
Epiphone Standard + Pickup Change = Gibson

Basically.. Gibby's gettin owned.

this is a retarded statement, the Epiphone standard has a big slab of alder in it, a maple veneer, poor electronics and worse quality wood, and is very poor quality compared to a Gibson Standard or Studio even with the pickup change, and Elitist are almost Gibson quality just without a nitrocellulose finish, less quality of wood(maple tops), and assembled in China for the most part, and how the f*ck is Gibby getting owned when the actually own Epiphone, literally
I think making a "women's" guitar makes sense from a business perspective. It's easy for a woman to feel ignored in the guitar market, which tries so hard to appeal to the sensibilities of men. And honestly, if they sell, good for Gibson. And no where in that description are they called "women's" guitars, they just infer that.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Xenn99
I was unaware that you're a woman Dirk. I mean...you must be, because you seem to know exactly how they think or something.

As for the Epiphones "owning" Gibson's, in terms of value, Epiphone beats Gibson by a long way. In tearms of guitars, Regular Epi's are good, but not Gibsons. Now, Epi Elitists are on par with Gibsons. They're basically identical except for the Epi's body wood is African Mahogany instead of Honduras Mahogany which Gibson usually uses or claims to use. Everything else is the same. The pickups are even the same with a different name for legal purposes.

Also, the Elitists are assembled in Japan, then sent to USA Gibson factories for hardware and wiring installation and set up.

As for the Gibson Goddess guitars, I don't know any female guitarists that would settle for the "dainty" version of the original. The fact that they also removed knobs is just stupid.

And they are certainly marketed at girls. They're pink and purple for God's sake. I don't think any normal man would go on stage with a bright pink guitar.

Pink, purple, white, black, and blue. That's what the Goddesses come in.
Quote by GnRrelease_it
anybody else notice that Gibson shaved an inch off the PERFECTION that is a Les Paul body to make it lighter for female guitarists?
not to mention stripping it down to 1 tone, 1 volume control...

http://www.gibson.com/Products/GibsonElectric/Gibson%20Electric%20Guitars/LesPaul/Les%20Paul%20Vixen/

http://www.gibson.com/Products/GibsonElectric/Gibson%20Electric%20Guitars/LesPaul/Les%20Paul%20Goddess/

i love my 10 lb. beast of a guitar and i think these models look anemic.

your thoughts?

coulda fooled me
Yes, yes, you're absolutely right. I must be a woman to think about a woman's perspective, and it was a terrible terrible move for Gibson to redesign something as perfect and worth of worship as the holy Les Paul on the possibility of appealing to a wider group of people.

I usually don't expect that kind of moronic comment out of you... Oh well.

And I don't think bringing it down to 2 controls is an insult to anyone. Are Strat players dumber than Les Paul players because it has 3 controls instead of 4? It was probably just a stylistic decision.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jun 3, 2006,
^Eh..it's late and I'm tired. Everyone has off posts...

I was also unaware that it came in colors beside pink and purple...That kinda changes my view on them. At least Gibson doesn't think all girls love pink and purple...

Although the one tone/one volume is BS. They could have at least put the other two on...

And for the body weight, why not make it chambered? It removes weight, but wouldn't kill the tone.

And yeah...my other post is now deleted...And I'm going to bed before I make any more idiotic comments from lack of sleep.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Thats pretty stupid lightening it....
Im a girl and I hav a epi les paul godltop and its fine ok sometimes its a bit heavy after standing for a while but i can manage it...
Epi 57 lespaul Goldtop
60's Vintage Kay
Jim Dunlop Wah
Crate VTX200S
Who cares? I'm sure there are some people out there that wanted a lighter LP. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Jesus...
Raoul Duke: There's a uh, big machine in the sky, some kind of, I dunno, electric snake, coming straight at us.

Dr. Gonzo: Shoot it.

Raoul Duke: Not yet, I want to study its habits.

IMO, they just look terrible...

Real LP for me, please.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Page 1 of 2