ok so i don't know what bassists call their picking hands, but ive been playing guitar for awhile now, so ill just refer to my right hand (im right handed) as my picking hand. ok so i just recently learned "can't stop" by the red hot chili peppers, but my index finger on my picking hand is starting to sting and bleed, because i pop the high strings with my index finger. is this natural or am i doing something wrong?

oh and i forgot to mention that i got a bass about a week ago, and this is the first red hot chili peppers bass line i learned (besides don't forget me)
Last edited by ilikeguitar90 at Jun 3, 2006,
Well your probally poping the string to hard.
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
and your finger probably doesn't have a callous (sp?) on it yet, cause you're used to picks.
that to.
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
yeah u just need to develop callouses. are u a beginner on bass then?
i need to get a better signature.
Maybe, before you start popping, it could be a good idea to just plcuk normally on bass slightly harder than usual as a pratice to get the fingers calloused up for popping.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Popping that causes you to bleed is definately due to an extremely high attack. I would let your finger heal, then calm down your attack. Slap bass doesn't need an aggressive attack. Also this way, you can build up your callouses so you can deliver a more aggressive attack if needs be.

Also, to help relieve excess stress to your index finger, you could alternate popping between that and your middle finger. I even use my 3rd finger as well.
Nah this is perfectly normal. When I started popping I got a similar thing on my right index finger, but if you stop playing until it stops hurting to play then start again you'll be fine with it forever pretty much, you just need to form a patch of callous skin.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
Quote by Bassilo
Fella, it's like asking us "I ate, and felt pressure in my bowels some 8 hours later urging me to squat and release them."

That's pretty funny. Anyway I would suggest playing with your fingers without slaping/poping and play with your fingers for a little bit, to get callouses and get used to it.

Edit- Forgot the play with your fingers part
Quote by SWiB
That's pretty funny. Anyway I would suggest playing with your fingers without slaping/poping and play with your fingers for a little bit, to get callouses and get used to it.

Edit- Forgot the play with your fingers part

Don't you pop and 'pluck' with different parts of the index finger though? I do.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
I don't. I mean, I guess I do- but its a matter of a centimeter or less. It's all a matter of preference and style. Its the same big calluce, thats for sure.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!