I'm thinking about changing the bridge pickup on my les paul with a P90, or something with a more snappy sound, i'd use it for hardcore/screamo type stuff.

How does a P90 compare to a 498 alnico or a 490 alnico humbucker?
a P90 is a large single coil pickup, so the sound is right between a traditional single coil and a humbucker. If you want to replace a humbucker with a soapbar, though, you'll need a P-94.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
a P90 is a large single coil pickup, so the sound is right between a traditional single coil and a humbucker. If you want to replace a humbucker with a soapbar, though, you'll need a P-94.

Is it worth changing an alnico pickup?
They're completely different beasts. To me, true soapbars are the best sounding pickups. They have warm but bright cleans and reasonable distortion. The alnicos are trying to get that, but the soapbars will sound better. If you want a humbucker, the alnicos are perfectly fine. You won't get the hum you can get with soapbars, and you'll get more output.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
They're completely different beasts. To me, true soapbars are the best sounding pickups. They have warm but bright cleans and reasonable distortion. The alnicos are trying to get that, but the soapbars will sound better. If you want a humbucker, the alnicos are perfectly fine. You won't get the hum you can get with soapbars, and you'll get more output.

What would be a good pickup to put in the bridge position? Assuming I could get one that would fit and not have to change any shape of the pickup holder etc.
For hardcore? You'll probably actually want something ceramic, something more ballsy than an Alnico. But of either the P-94 or 498/490, I'd pick one of the two buckers. I'm not really familiar with the Gibson line enough to tell you which of those two.
Hi, I'm Peter
Whenever I go to a concert and I'm close enough to see the guitar's details, I always see this type of pickup in the bridge:

What do you suppose all the big bands are using in that spot?
That is a humbucker. It has two coils wound in the opposite way, so that the 'hum' gets 'bucked'. Thus the name. Incidentally, it also produced a ballsier, thicker kind of sound, which is why a lot of musicians prefer it nowadays.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Quote by OneHappyCamper
That is a humbucker. It has two coils wound in the opposite way, so that the 'hum' gets 'bucked'. Thus the name. Incidentally, it also produced a ballsier, thicker kind of sound, which is why a lot of musicians prefer it nowadays.

.. I know it's a humbucker, I mean what model do you think it is? I got close enough to see "seymour duncan" on a humbucker that looked like that.

What does slash use in his bridge? That half creme half black humbucker?