Ok i did a search for this and i have sorta came to the conclusion that the boss cs-3 is kinda the king of compression pedals. I did try one in the store a few weeks ago, but i was playing a nice lp with a nicer marshall amp of some kind.... I loved the sound of that thing. But my questions is, will the cs-3 make a huge/noticable difference in normal playing? And the dumbest question of em all is, does the pedal make the highs and lows kinda a little more even sounding, like when i do tough pull offs or hold bends for a long time, does it have good sustain....???? or should i look for a diff pedal??(hope that makes sense)... Or is it more for the ppl who like to fine tune thier sound for gigs and what not?? I am just a bedroom player who only impresses the odd friend once in awhile

Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, i am heading out to the guitar store tomorow....its a 3 hour drive away!
Slowhand 03/23/07
The UG Eric Clapton Fan Club

PM clapton-floyd to join
All compression does is attenuate signals above a certain threshhold by a ratio set by you. The higher the ratio the more savagely the signals above the threshold will be attenuated resulting in a flatter level response. It won't make your quieter sounds louder, just drop your higher sounds down so you get a more even sound. Most pedals have a gain control on them which makes up for the reduction in gain from the compression. Personally I never play without compression, the extra presence and tightness it can bring to your sound it quite the cool. However I use a rack mount compressor which gives a LOT more control than any pedal you'll find. But if you're just starting out the CS-3 will do the job no worries.

Compressors don't actually "sustain" a note, but because they reduce the noticability of the attack/decay in the very first part of the note, notes will appear to stay at a steady volume for longer. As for Highs and lows, it has no effect, it doesn't look at frequency of the input at all, just the level.
How bout an equalizer...Is it worth it?
Slowhand 03/23/07
The UG Eric Clapton Fan Club

PM clapton-floyd to join
In my chain I have 3 things only, a compressor, a 10 band graphic EQ and a tuner. All bloody useful things to have. The EQ gives you real control over your sound, well worth the investment.