E, G, A

full rest

A, G, E

full rest

E, G, B

B, G, A

A, G, E

in 4/4 Time

The beginning 4 bars are repeated to give verse. The egb,bga,age is chorus/bridge/breakdown (work in progress). Also these are all major chords. the "G" is the 3 fingered version.
I would like to know what scale(s) To use for a solo. And Im also havign trouble with the cadence of a solo. This "seems" to be in the key of "G"
Also please explain why. I'd appreciate the actual theory behind this, rather then just the answer. ty.
e -------15^1-
b ----13-------
g -14----------
G and E? Right like that?

That sounds AWFUL, just so you know, since the "E" chord has a G#...

Edit: Never mind, I have no idea why it sounds fine, but it does. Must be either some crazy key that I don't know about (To be able to have the G and the A, but also a G# or Ab?) But yeah, sounds decent... as for a scale, I'm not sure at the moment, I'll try to find one unless someone better with theory comes along...
Last edited by Retribution at Jun 3, 2006,
^ I think he's using a direct modulation to the parallel major, with Am. like..

IV bVII I. bVI's and bVII's work well as IV and V chord replacements.

With that, I'd recommending using something along the lines of the A blues scale. But be careful what you do with the tonality of it.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Guys, it's a blues kind of thing. Mixing minor and major tonalities...does this sound familiar?

I like A blues or E blues over the "verse" part and E blues over the "chorus" part.
Thank you all for your input. And it definetly has a blues feel. I'll have the lyrics up soon.
e -------15^1-
b ----13-------
g -14----------
Also the A blues and E blues so far sound fantastic.

Although I'm having trouble getting the 2nd octave of E blues (12th fret) to sound like it fits. I guess the tone of it is just to high.

So I guess I'm need to use the A string 7th fret for my E blues.

Finally; this solo is tough. It works fine if I just match the chord changes but thats no fun.
e -------15^1-
b ----13-------
g -14----------