Poll: Which EMG in bridge position?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which EMG in bridge position?
6 67%
3 33%
Voters: 9.
I'm planning on dropping an EMG in my guitar today. I was almost set on an 81 which I had tried out once and I really liked the sound of it. However, I just read on the EMG website that the 85 had a better low-end. Would more bass give it a darker sound?
And I only have money for one and my local store (which really sucks actually) won't let me try them in my guitar, only if another has it stock.

Any input is appreciated
Quote by madpickin03
"I'd like a Big Mac and a Coke plz"
"Do you want fries with that sir?"
"No i want an RG7620 to go with it, no ketchup, Vampire Kiss finish"

Quote by chevellerox2005
who is ozzy? must not have made that much of an impact ya douche

^
Last edited by TillDeath at Jun 3, 2006,
I have both, and I love the 81, the 85 is ... ok. The 81 is great for solos and such and sounds pretty good for low stuff too. The 85 is ok, but i don't use it that much, it is ok for rhythem but the EMG 60 has more balls. So go for 81
yeah i'd just get the 81.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Well I guess I had the right idea from the start. I'll just wait to see if anyone else has something else to add.
Quote by madpickin03

Quote by chevellerox2005

^
You can only get one? Strictly speaking you can't have one active and one passive pickup in a guitar
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
My guitar has only a bridge pickup position
Quote by madpickin03

Quote by chevellerox2005

^
Oh, Sorry The way you were talking it sounded like you had two pickups but could only replace one
what guitar is this going into? what amp do you have?

edit:
Quote by GNR4EVER
You can only get one? Strictly speaking you can't have one active and one passive pickup in a guitar

theyre both active pickups
^It's going into a Kevin Bond Rhoads which is made of mahogany. My amp is a Cube 60. Now, before anyone comments on how actives suck major ballsacks on SS, please note that I HAVE tried the 81 in a similar setup guitar through a Cube and I actually liked the sound.
Besides, my 6505 combo is right around the corner...
Quote by madpickin03

Quote by chevellerox2005

^
Quote by azn_guitarist25
what guitar is this going into? what amp do you have?

edit:

theyre both active pickups

Yeah But I thought he was going to put one EMG into a guitar that already had a passive in it
i'll take a shot and say he wants a metal tone.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by GNR4EVER
Yeah But I thought he was going to put one EMG into a guitar that already had a passive in it

good point.
I play alot of Metallica, Children of Bodom, Arch Enemy, Killswitch Engage, Trivium, As I Lay Dying, Megadeth, Black Label Society and the likes. I'm mostly after a dark, thumping low-end mixed with screaming highs and harmonics. But the lead tone is more important since our other guitarist has single-coils and feedback like hell if the treble gets too high.
So I'm stuck doing leads...

Also, if you want to hear what EMGs sound like on SS, pick up As I Lay Dying's new CD Shadows Are Security. The Krankenstein amp they use gives them a SS-ish sound. Listen closely to the guitar parts: thats what EMGs sound like in a Cube. Maybe not 100%, but close.
Quote by madpickin03

Quote by chevellerox2005

^
but then i'd have to buy a cd i dont want . whats wrong with the pickup that comes in the guitar
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
^Meh, was just a suggestion. The pickup I have is so ridiculously high output (even for a passive) that it feedbacks quite a bit. I heard from a lot of people EMGs where surprisingly quiet.
Quote by madpickin03

Quote by chevellerox2005

^