Page 1 of 2
I need some song suggestions for this audition with my band, it?s for community concert through my school. Its open to all musicians so I?m gonna hav to compete with the (c)rappers.

I?ve been playing for 6months but the other guitarist has been doing 2yrs.

Im looking for something that?s NOT too hard, but NOT too soft as well. Something impressive but not like a Led Zeppelin solo.

I was thinking like Helicopter ? Bloc Party , Cosmopolition ? Nine Black Alps or Where Are We Runnin?? ? Lenny Krivitz or maybe an Arctic Monkey song

And please, if possible... no blink, green day, yellowcard
because i dont wanna be compared with their vocals. If it don?t sound exactly like that typical American voice, its not gonna look good to the audience, due to their judgmental attitudes.
Guitars... *drools uncontrollably*
how 'bout some metallica? if you get up there and play one with the solo (easy) they'll be impressed.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Metallica is something they arent ready for yet, i considered it but people might sleep during our solo!!

(unless i jump endlessly)
ok... how bout some metallica i bin playin guitar 5 months and i can play some of their songs quite well. give it a try. if not that create a new song??
Quote by joel_grieve
how 'bout some metallica? if you get up there and play one with the solo (easy) they'll be impressed.

Welcome Home would work. The first solos are pretty easy, and the more experianced guitarist can handle the harder ones.
Do something old, bluesy and hard like Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Deep Purple, AC/DC or what so ever. sixties/ seventies blues-rock always sounds impressive.

Edit: You will play the rappers' balls off (I guarantee)
I sold my soul for Rock 'n' Roll

Quote by CSguitarvocal
you've just proven that you're the most ignorant fuck on this website...

Thank you
Quote by darknessfan
Whenever I sit down to play guitar, I always need to pee in like 3 minutes. Is this weird?

Owned
Last edited by lead_zeppelin at Jun 3, 2006,
play One by metallica. you know you want to.
or maybe something by the living end?
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Don't do metallica, the best band in our school always do enter sandman every year, it always sucks, it echos too much in the hall, they prance around looking like retards and the solo always sounds crap amidst the screaming the echos and the distortion buzzing. The thing is is that they're actually a really good band. And that song lets them down every year.

You're better off doing something lighter, easy, impressive that everyone will know.
Highway to hell, Schools out, More than a feeling, All right now, Paranoid all the classics.
Quote by Scourge441
Welcome Home would work. The first solos are pretty easy, and the more experianced guitarist can handle the harder ones.

you kidding, i been plying five years, and know that, despite being able to play it now, that at 2 there was NO WAY i could have played that solo.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Do some AC DC or Guns N' Roses.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
Maybe some Allman Brothers. maybe some Skynyrd. Sweet Home Alabama and Ramblin' Man always impress people I play for. If not, then bust out some Cowboys From Hell or Master of Puppets(very easy and sounds really cool).

EDIT: BTW dude there's nothing wrong with playing some Zeppelin, just as long as it's not Stairway.
You suggested Helicopter. THIS is perfect. 3 and a half minutes and fast without being too punk-orientated.

The opening riff would appeal to most people, its not too difficult a song for your level of learning. Just make sure you've got the end bit downright :P
My Rig

2004 Fender '72 Custom Telecaster reissue
2006 Cole Clark Fat Lady 1 Acoustic

ProCo RAT
Boss DD-3

Peavey Classic 30
Zeppelin's "Whole lotta love" is fairly easy, even the solo licks after that ambient part. Of course you'll have to drop that part in your performance...
Quote by GeneraLNinja
I need some song suggestions for this audition with my band, it’s for community concert through my school. Its open to all musicians so I’m gonna hav to compete with the (c)rappers.

I’ve been playing for 6months but the other guitarist has been doing 2yrs.

Im looking for something that’s NOT too hard, but NOT too soft as well. Something impressive but not like a Led Zeppelin solo.

I was thinking like Helicopter – Bloc Party , Cosmopolition – Nine Black Alps or Where Are We Runnin’? – Lenny Krivitz or maybe an Arctic Monkey song

And please, if possible... no blink, green day, yellowcard
because i dont wanna be compared with their vocals. If it don’t sound exactly like that typical American voice, its not gonna look good to the audience, due to their judgmental attitudes.

Um, most punk and pop punk bands cop a British accent, and its't the Australian accent similiar?
Quote by MastaBassist10
Um, most punk and pop punk bands cop a British accent, and its't the Australian accent similiar?

LMAO, no mate. completely different!
Quote by hamett91
Maybe some Allman Brothers. maybe some Skynyrd. Sweet Home Alabama and Ramblin' Man always impress people I play for. If not, then bust out some Cowboys From Hell or Master of Puppets(very easy and sounds really cool).

EDIT: BTW dude there's nothing wrong with playing some Zeppelin, just as long as it's not Stairway.

i think "i know a little" is easily 20 times more impressive than "sweet home." itss less recognizable, but it is one of the top skynyrd songs for me.
Quote by metal_maiden1
Zeppelin's "Whole lotta love" is fairly easy, even the solo licks after that ambient part. Of course you'll have to drop that part in your performance...

No, he won't. Just get some bees, a chick with braces, and a board with casters on it. Get the chick to give him a blowjob, hence inducing screaming/orgasm-ing, all on the board with casters on it. Let the bees out, and then get someone to push the board all around the stage, evading the bees.

Well, that's the only way I can think of that you'll be able to recreate that section.
You said Arctic Mokeys and simple.

The answer is A Certain Romance. I started playing six months from now and I can go through the entire song. It's not too hard and it's catchy.On the other hand it's Pop Rock.
Quote by Johnnyboy66
Maybe you just suck at the guitar?

Quote by dudeman_andy
feed a pigeon bicarbonate of soda, let it swell up for a while. then feed it to the dogs and

BOOM head shot!

(pigeons explode after having bicarbonate of soda, they cant fart. stupid pigeons.)
Quote by GeneraLNinja
I was thinking Johnny B Goode?!

dude that is exactly what i was thinking when i read the first post. seconded
or hell maybe u could be creative and write ur own stuff
GOMEZ
Originally posted by Marroon5MustDie
It's spelled khoyaschotsii. Trust me, I'm a Native American. My name is Running Rainbow.
i gotta keep in mind the the songs are suppose to be under 4mins
lol
ahh

i was gonna say dream theater...
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
If your worried about some rappers then why not play on the same field? Do some Rage Against The Machine. Most of the guitar is pretty is and the solo's aren't bad either. Try Killing In The Name Of or Bulls On Parade.
Quote by Striketalonx
lol
ahh

i was gonna say dream theater...

YES!!! Play Endless Sacrifice! Of course, few guitarists can actually play the solos, but I'm sure you'll nail them if you lock yourself in your room and deprive yourself of food and water until you have all of them down perfectly.
Something by The Living End, not too complicated, not all powerchords, and they are Aussie, right?
You could look at Banquet by Bloc party that main riff is killer. It's also two guitars taking chord chops so you and the other guitarists can both play equal amounts.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by CustomCustom
or you could play Linkin Park and join 'em (the rappers)

Disgrace to my cheap Ibanez.
Quote by GeneraLNinja
i gotta keep in mind the the songs are suppose to be under 4mins

Screw it. They won't care if you do a 10-minute solo.
Quote by gomezisastud07
or hell maybe u could be creative and write ur own stuff

CREATIVITY???? BLASPHEMA!!!

lol, but seriously, get off your ass and write a sick one m8. BTW one thing that impresses non-guitarists is whammy bar usage and tapping, ah tapping. Those chicks go nuts when "OMFG HIS RIGHT HAND IS UP WHERE HIS LEFT HAND IS! HE MUST BE GODLY!"

try to whip in some cross-arm legato for good measure, playing guitar at school shows is all about the gimmicks, if anyone gave a **** about the music then things would be different.
Gear:
Ibanez GRX40
Ibanez GSR200
Givson Jazz Acoustic
Marshall MG15DFX
Ibanez BSA10
Boss MT-2
Boss CS-3
Boss TR-2
Akai Variwah
Ibanez Paul Gilbert Picks
Ernie Ball Cables
Ibanez Cables
D'addario .9s (forever)
Quote by GeneraLNinja
Metallica is something they arent ready for yet, i considered it but people might sleep during our solo!!

(unless i jump endlessly)

Don't be a pansy and shorten it and do your own solo.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Page 1 of 2