This is my first post, so i dont know if im posting on the right board or not...anyways.

I have a problem.
I can read standard notation because i have played violin for 7 years, except i dont know which string to play the note on because guitar has a wider area to play notes on. any clarifications on this?

Also, what is a petantonic scale?
Well, with guitar, standard notation is a bit tricky. Usually you can work it out by finding the lowest and highest notes in a piece and working out some kind of happy middle for your position. That's why everyone likes tabs.

A pentatonic scale is just what it sounds like: a scale with five notes. Basically, you just drop the half-steps from the major scale. While it has fewer notes, it allows for more acidentals, thus adding freedom.
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
^^ He's pretty much said it all. Just find the position for your hand where all the notes are within easy(ish) reaching. It's pretty obvious really, if you're playing up on the twelfth fret or something, you're not gonna go back down to the first for a note that could be played on a different string, higher up.
Quote by hoobariffer87
A pentatonic scale is just what it sounds like: a scale with five notes. Basically, you just drop the half-steps from the major scale. While it has fewer notes, it allows for more acidentals, thus adding freedom.

Thanks for that explanation. Never realized that before.