what up guys, im lookin to buy a used half stack (head and cabinet) on ebay or something for around 400 - 450, and was wondering what the best model to look at would be? I looked at the Marshall MG100HDFX but apparently the word is that its a piece of **** and the avt series is a little pricey, so what would you guys recommend? Im playing with a Gibson Les Paul Studio so I'm looking for that classic Marshall Sound. Thanks
this is the wrong section.

anyway, if ur into high gain music. maybe u can try to find a peavey.

but honestly ull get more for ur money if u look at a combo over the half. ur not getting better sound out of the SS half, ur just getting a "look."

for $400-500 u can get a beast. a randall high gain amp. they have a ton of models around that price range.
u can even find a tube amp. tube gives more of a classic marshall sound than a cheap ss.

honestly, is there a reason u want a solid state stack?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Peavey Triumph 60/120 heads, Peavey VTM head, or Classic 60. I hear good things about the B52 heads. Crate Blue Voodoo 60/120 sound good also.
Go with a combo. You only need around 50w for anything, so there's no need for a halfstack.

For $500 you can get a Marshall AVT50, which I've heard good things about. As for the MG, some people love them, some people hate them. I love mine. I recommend that you try the 50w and see if you like it. Also try the AVT50.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^Really? I've heard that they're pretty good, although a little overpriced.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Yeah Marshall AVTs are horrible. You really don't need a half stack. Just get a decent tube combo or something.
Make sure you never get a Marshall MG, they're total shit and anyone who says otherwise is completely deaf.
Quote by Ashdown
Make sure you never get a Marshall MG, they're total shit and anyone who says otherwise is completely deaf.

tell Xenn99 that
I like mine...It's actually pretty good for a solid state amp. Of course it doesn't compare to an all tube amp, but for a solid state practice amp it does the job.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
I like mine...It's actually pretty good for a solid state amp. Of course it doesn't compare to an all tube amp, but for a solid state practice amp it does the job.

Thats about it.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
What's wrong with that? The MG does what it's supposed to. It sounds nice (for solid state) and is plenty loud. What exactly else can you ask for from an amp?

As for Tube amps, you can get a good one for around $500. I'd recommend that over ANY solid state amp.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
For close to that price, ive heard that the Randall RG50TC ($570 New, about $400 used) has a great marshall tone, but that is a combo. You need to ask yourself if you want a good tube combo tone, or a "meh" solid state tone. A tube combo is very loud compared to a ss halfstack.
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
You would never need more than 50W Tube power. You just would never, ever use that much. I would suggest that you pass on the solid state halfstack and go for a 50w Tube combo.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar