Hey everyone! Got a question about a new guitar purchase. I've owned a Squier
Standard Tele for a couple years now. I'm interested in upgrading to a better instrument, but wanna stay with a Tele, or Tele-style. A friend turned me on to Carvins...got the catalog, DVD, etc...and now I can't decide if I should upgrade to something like a Fender Highway 1, or even a '52 reissue...OR...take a chance on a Carvin TL60. Carvin has great options on finishes, woods, pups, etc....
What are your opinions? Anyone here own(ed) a Carvin? Thanks for any input!!
Thanks for the input, AZN. I favor mostly classic-rock, blues-rock, r&b-based stuff; and I started with a Marshall mg10cd (bought it with the Squier Tele), but I just
got myself a little Fender Blonde Blues Junior that I'm really happy with for now.
I'm leaning towards the Carvin...seems to be a quality instrument...the only drawback will be the 4-6 week waiting period after I decide on options, etc., and then place the order. I am a little worried about buying a guitar sight unseen...but I've heard nothing but good things about Carvins...
I personally only own a crappy amp, cause i normally dont jam inside my room or something. I jam outside using their equiqment, and my beloved first amp in my life works well for pratcising. A better guitar works better for me. Depends on yr case
yeh, my friend owns a carvin and i dont know why but he still would like to get a gibson les paul. oh well. yeh ive heard nothing but good comments about carvin guitars and dont worry about the 4-6 week wait it will hopefully past quickly
Carvin is right below getting a custom-made independent luthier guitar on the awesomeness scale .

Go for it.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Thanks to all you guys for the opinions, info, etc. You know, what's confused me the most has been watching the Carvin DVD...these things seem to be as close to a custom-made guitar as possible...I've got doubts about Fender or even Gibson QC
being as good! Talked to another player today...told me Carvin necks are "the best".
Kinda makes you wonder if Fender has like 100 Tele models just for marketing purposes, or if each really has some individual character (tone). I'm leaning more and more towards going with the Carvin...quilted maple top..natural gloss finish, matching headstock, single coil bridge/humbucker neck, black chrome hardware...
what do you guys think?? I'm playing Elixer strings now...think I'll stick with them...
and with the new Fender amp...should sound good?...no? (I mean...I'll still suck, but
theoretically, the guitar will sound good!)
Get a nice amp. That Fender Blonde isn't a bad little amp, go for it. Then get the amp. Good gear your looking a there, nice going, I like you already.
Hey MastaBassist...got the little Fender already...only 15 watts but does all I need for now, and more. (And loud as I need!) Yeah...I think this gear will be a nice mix...
now if I can get my playing up to the level of my new gear...! (we'll see). Calling
Carvin Monday morning to order (99.9% sure)...The only decision I've still got to make is the body wood. I understand their "standard" is alder...(solid maple neck-thru). I'm wondering if a maple body is worthwhile, or if I should just go ahead with
the standard alder...(with quilted maple top). I don't know enough about wood
characteristics, sound, etc. to make a realy informed decision here. Maybe best is
to just go with the standard solid maple neck-thru-body with the alder body...etc.
(decisions!)...I'm lucky enough right now that cost isn't going to be the deciding
factor...but still...like to go with the most cost-effective/best sounding match.
I have an MIA Fender Telecaster and a Carvin amp. Personally, I'd rather have a Carvin Tele than my MIA Fender. I can't attest to the quality of their guitars but their amps are top notch, so I'd say get the Carvin.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
Quote by jabberwock
Hey MastaBassist...got the little Fender already...only 15 watts but does all I need for now, and more. (And loud as I need!) Yeah...I think this gear will be a nice mix...
now if I can get my playing up to the level of my new gear...! (we'll see). Calling
Carvin Monday morning to order (99.9% sure)...The only decision I've still got to make is the body wood. I understand their "standard" is alder...(solid maple neck-thru). I'm wondering if a maple body is worthwhile, or if I should just go ahead with
the standard alder...(with quilted maple top). I don't know enough about wood
characteristics, sound, etc. to make a realy informed decision here. Maybe best is
to just go with the standard solid maple neck-thru-body with the alder body...etc.
(decisions!)...I'm lucky enough right now that cost isn't going to be the deciding
factor...but still...like to go with the most cost-effective/best sounding match.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't read that you got it, yeah, 15 watts should be pleanty.

Well, most Telecasters are made of alder, which is very bright and sparkly. Mohagony/Korina (Korina is just expensive, white mohagony) or Koa is very midrangy and I can't think of any kind of dark wood, maybe maple, not sure, ask so meone else.