Ok, somehow I've accumulated about 11 pedals. I need someone to help me with finding a proper order for them. My current order is:

Amp
|
v
Boss CS-3 Compression/Sustainer
Boss Guitar EQ
Ibanez Delay/Echo
Digitech DigiDelay
Ibanez Chorus/Flanger
Digitech Multi Chorus
Ibanez Synthesizer Bass
DoD Envelope Filter
Dunlop Crybaby 105Q
Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive
Russian Big Muff Pi
|
v
Fender Jazz

So, am I doing anything wrong? I noticed that there's a ton of new and inexperienced musicians on UG these days, so please only respond if you really know what you're doing. Thanks!
Wah > distortion > compressor > modulation > delays/reverbs > EQ > Amp

put eq last, distortion close to the front, all delays and reverbs near the end, put ure wah at the front and why the **** do u have a Bass overdrive pedal? are u running ure guitar and bass through the same rig????
distortion should go first in the line or it doesnt distort the signal properly and ur left with a **** sound
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Stagg Strat (With replaced hardware and a Duncan Invader )
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
Wires and patch cords and stuff..
Quote by Stevie B
distortion should go first in the line or it doesnt distort the signal properly and ur left with a **** sound

no way, always ALWAYS put wah first, i thought that was standard??
I think Atreideslegend has it correct. If you have an effects loop, put timed effects thru it(modulation,delays)
Wah goes first. I'd run distortion towards the end like you have. Compression, EQ and tone shaping pedals should go after the wah but before anything else. Then i'd run your other effects, i dont think theres much of a specific order. After those run the distortion pedals last.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Yes, I often run a guitar through it, but only for writing purposes. I never "seriously" use a guitar with it; I'm just too cheap to buy a guitar amp :p.
Quote by Atreideslegend
Wah > distortion > compressor > modulation > delays/reverbs > EQ > Amp

put eq last, distortion close to the front, all delays and reverbs near the end, put ure wah at the front and why the **** do u have a Bass overdrive pedal? are u running ure guitar and bass through the same rig????

this man has it right. Void anyone who says Distortion than wah. If you don't trust me, try it both ways and then discover which is the way.

But I recommend listening to this.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
I put my Ibanez PD7 Distortion before my Dunlop 105Q Wah. It gives a better distortion when wah is being used at the same time than vice versa.
Spector Legend 4 Custom
Ashton AB-2
Dunlop 105Q Crybaby
Ibanez PD7 Overdrive
SWR LA 15 (dead)
Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II
Gallien-Krueger Neo 212
Modulation is anything that effects pitch. Whammy, flange, phaser, yes; chorus, I guess but Im not 100%... Chorus is really mroe of a very slight delay, so I'd put it with "delay/reverb".
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Quote by mountaindew88
I thought chorus worked by bending the pitch to create the multiple-voice effect?

...it's not harmonizing, its playing itself twice. This happens by it delaying itself a fraction of a second so that it doesn't seem "off", but it still makes it feel like there's two going on.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Amp
|
v
Boss Guitar EQ
Boss CS-3 Compression/Sustainer
Ibanez Delay/Echo
Digitech DigiDelay
Ibanez Chorus/Flanger
Digitech Multi Chorus
Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive
Russian Big Muff Pi
Ibanez Synthesizer Bass
DoD Envelope Filter
Dunlop Crybaby 105Q
|
v
Fender Jazz

Is this looking better?
Wah synth and envelope filters should go first, unless you like the way it sounds having theym last. I always liked the way it sounds running them after the EQ and tone pedals and before distortion.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
if you read the manual on your Dunlop Wah it explains the difference in sound if you put distortion then wah, vs. wah then distortion. if you can't find the manual you can download it off of the Dunlop site. Considering the order of pedals affects sound, you might find that you prefer your pedals in a different order to what most recommend. maybe use everyones suggestions, then try changing two around. If you like the sound you're in luck, if you don't change it back. It seems like you've got plenty of pedals so have fun trying different combinations.
Quote by UtBDan
...it's not harmonizing, its playing itself twice. This happens by it delaying itself a fraction of a second so that it doesn't seem "off", but it still makes it feel like there's two going on.

Chorus is just a modulated delay. it uses an LFO to modulate. So yes, it is modulation, and not delay/reverb
Quote by Atreideslegend

why the **** do u have a Bass overdrive pedal? are u running ure guitar and bass through the same rig????

because HE'S A BASSIST? AND THIS IS THE BASS FORUM? oh no, it couldn't be!

Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
God you poeple have no tolerance for a simple error. he obviously just misread. Put him up against the wall why dont you?
Quote by Applehead
God you poeple have no tolerance for a simple error. he obviously just misread. Put him up against the wall why dont you?

sorry, its just people that get lost and wander into the bass forum, then start babbling bollocks and wondering why people are looking at them weird.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
there are NO RULES on pedal arrangement. You do not have to put your wah first, you can put it after the distortion if you want that sound. it can be nice, as the wah ends up controlling the amount of distortion. traditionally though, the order woulld be..

filters>compressor>distortion>EQ>pitch effects>modulators>level effects>echo/reverbs.

Everyone should experiment with pedal positions. You can really get some nice sounds by moving just one pedal around.

Enjoy.

P.S Dude you have ****loads of pedals. i would advise you get a splitter box, so if anything goes wrong you can switch to your clean channel quickly. if a pedal goes on stage, it might not be clear which one has gone and you will be ****ed!!
A little drawing

/Line6 EchoPark - Verbzilla - Cry Baby (fasel)\
| |
|lead channel |
| |
| /---------------------------------------------/
| |
| |rythm channel
tonebone Plexitube--------/---Maxon vintage Chorus --- Maxon vintage Flanger -- Amp
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Jun 6, 2006,