So the plan for my life after high school is to build a recording studio. We've got 5 people in on the plan, and I've got $1000 in my bank account that isn't going anywhere. What's the best way to make that $1000 increase? I was thinking maybe a 4 year bond or CD or something, but I really don't know much about those. Any ideas?
5 year CD account, bonds if you want to hide your money from colleges.

1000 dollars is NOWHERE near enough to start a studio some of the mixing boards that the company i work for run as high as 100 thousand dollars... this is the reason why not everyone owns a studio.

30 grand might buy you a reasonable studio though...

at about 50 dollars an hour you would make it back fairly quickly. I am considering taking out a loan to open a resteraunt/live music place before I open the studio and I based all of my majors about the buisiness aspects needed to run a business. Acounting is the way to go, you will not be able to open a studio if you dont have money. End of story.
Last edited by silentdud at Jun 3, 2006,
For reals. I know 1000 is nowhere near enough, that's why I've got partners, and that's why we're working on making our money multiply. I can probably work up another grand this summer and put that into a 5 year CD... and then that'll at least be a start. I can get as much learning on business and recording in the meantime.

What would be a good way to handle the partnership aspect of this?
you need a paper contract and sign it as a limited partenership with a lawyer as a witness of the signature... discuss how profits will be split, what each individual will be doing etc... and what the proportions of put in will be given.

second you are going to need to raise a load of cash; something in the tens of thousands per person, However logically, with 5 people putting 5 grand in a piece you should have enough to start a cheap studio. Most businesses loose money for the first 2 years before they begin to make profit.
Last edited by silentdud at Jun 3, 2006,
cost depends on how high quality you want your studio to be

Most studios have a couple of these

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Avalon-AD2022-Pure-Class-A-Dual-Mono-Microphone-Preamplifier?sku=186104

your gonna need a protools hd system so read up:
http://www.digidesign.com/

A good digital mixer http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-O2R96V2-Digital-Mixer?sku=630171

thats already around 20,000 (us dollars) not including mics,furniture,a building,acoustic treatment,and many other things

So i suggest you start saving up,its not a cheap buissness
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
Unless you can get a ****ton of money, I suggest you dont do this. You wont be able to compete with professional studios, it will just be a big waste of money. Even a cheap studio would be very expensive.
i dont get you guys... you say studios cost like 5M dollars, but why not just get a homestudio??? Hes only in HS, so i dont think he wants a pro studio. i think you could get everyhting you need for 1000$ to get a pretty deacent home studio. i made mine for 500 bucks (although its not even close to being done. )
Quote by John Kimble
Unless you can get a ****ton of money, I suggest you dont do this. You wont be able to compete with professional studios, it will just be a big waste of money. Even a cheap studio would be very expensive.

btw your last sentance makes no sense, i think you mean a relativly cheap studio would be very expensive. but good advice if hes trying 2 make a pro one.
Last edited by Gitter_Wizard at Jun 5, 2006,