Page 1 of 2
Ok so I'm going to customize my squier bullet into my own personal bailcaster !! (bailey is my last name but my band calls me bailz lawlz. we're weird people). Now I know people are probably going to say I'm better off doing blah blah blah because it's bad wood and it's going to suck and blah blah, but thats not the point of it. To sound good i'll use my schecter, this is just a summer project to make my first guitar into something cool. And it actually sounds fine IMO other than the tuners and stuff I will replace.

So i need advice on hardware and pickups (th paint is covered, my uncle paints cars professionally in a complete work station on his property, so im good to go.) I was thinking some sort of high output stacked humbucker in the bridge position, most likely a duncan. The other ones maybe a litle more vintagey sounding singles, but I don't know much about which ones to choose, so I could use some suggestions/advice on that.

The neck is fine, I actually like it a lot, but I'm going to need to replace the tuners, maybe just the fender standard replacments? Maybe locking tuners, who knows. And as of paint, it's (as of now) going to be all white, with a stick figure self portrait of myself (as far as "self portrait" can go for a stick figure lol) with the words "SIMPLY BAILEY" in bubble letters over the input jack. I'll try and scan my sketch later, just for the fun of it.

Anyway any advice is appreciated, but really it's just a fun little project, so don't suggest I use a different body or anything.. lol. Peace y'all.

-EDIT- I forgot, theres no real budget, but don't go overboard or anything, I'll be doing it gradually over the summer while I work, so I'll just do it as I can afford it.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Last edited by MuffinMan at Jun 3, 2006,
sand down the finish, get all new electronics meaning Pots, pickups, 5 way, get a new tremolo style bridge, as the ones of squiers kinda suck, pretty much get a whole new setup for it...good luck tho, 1 question i forgot which schecter you own which is it?
Get fender Hot vintage noiseless pups(name explains it all)
Your name wouldn't happen to be Mike, would it? And go to LCHSN?
Proud member of The Bass Militia! PM IndieMetalhead to join!

Quote by Fast_Bear
You know your a Bassist when you practice near the ocean, and whales respond.
Nope, Matt though close. I go to CP, small crap school, meh. I'll look into those pickups and I am gunna replace most the hardware, the tone pots I have do NOTHING, quite literally, haha. About the bridge, mines a hartail (gasp !) and I'm not in the mood to do a trem by myself or pay to have it done, so I may just stick with the one I have. It isn't too bad.

My schecter is a 006 elite in black cherry, it plays like a DREAM. Except I got a faulty tone pot in it .

-EDIT- hmmm, looking at the SHR-1 Hotrail for the dridge position, sounds niiice. Anyone have experiance with one? I think jenny had one and though highly of it but I'm not sure. Looking at the suggested fenders too, look like nice pups.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Last edited by MuffinMan at Jun 3, 2006,
Alright sweet, yeah I was going to replace that soon too. and here is a setup that the duncan sight suggests

"Available for both bridge and neck/middle positions. For an incredibly versatile guitar, use an SHR-1b in the bridge position along with an SVR-1n Vintage Rails in the middle and an SCR-1n Cool Rails in the neck."

sounds sexy, but I'm sure it wouldn't be the cheapest, lol.
Yeah, I'm trying to get a nice high output something in the bridge and then a bit of a change in the neck and mid. Besides I'll probably be buying all the stuff a while from now so I'll have a while to make the decesions. I'll probably have to install one of these too, because it is a nifty thing D=.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/whmoofpesuki.html
Maybe lace sensors might help too.

Btw, leave the bridge unless you feel like rerouting your stud routes, squier uses different dimensions on theri 2 points to the regular Fenders. Some locking tuners should be enough.
right now i have a Malmsteen neck, Virt Vintage Heavy blues mid, and Hot rails bridge.

of the three i love the Vv the most.
they all run silent, they offer a well balanced guitar the Malm is a little too dark for my tastes but is still a nice fit.

the Vv is like a texas special, high output, but runs quiet. it has more low end than my Rails.
rails in the bridge sound like really hot singles, high treble.

i like lace sensors too. ^
if i were to do it again i might've put in a lace hot gold in the neck instead. i just wanted the guitar to look semi uniform.

ive got low gain clips in my sig. it takes too long for me to record high gain stuff off a mic when im at home. i usually end up over modulating ten times.

good luck
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Well, I'm looking for a job now to get some cash flow so I can fund this little project, as right now I've got $10 to work with, lmao. Anyway I think the Hotrails in the bridge is what im gunna go with, listened to jenny's direct line with the ds-1 and it sounded awesome. I'm looking for that high treble hawtness. Anyone got suggestions on a specific brand of locking tuners or anything? I've decided ot leave the bridge oo that's be way too much of a hassle...

anyway, heres a basic outlay of what I plan to do with the pain. Sorry, no scanner and my camera sucks.

All white with just outlined letters (which say simply bailey if you cant read it) and that stick figure. Anyway I'm gunna game bit. laterz.
Alright well i've unstrung the guitar, unscrewed the pickguard, and i want to know, should I detach it from the input jack so I can take it completely off (im going to paint it soon) and if so, how exactly should I do it? Sorry, first modding experiance and I need help pretty quick here.
Strip everything off, even the neck. or you could mask the neck but thats sketchy...
Yeah the neck and bridge and everything else is off except the input and pickguard because I don't know if i'm supposed to cut that wire and re solder it later or what.
My dog's name is Bailey...
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
A lot of people's dogs are named Bailey.
Well I'm done working for the night so I think I'll update before I go game and practice. I took all the stuff off the body and began sanding... and thats all really. I'm pretty slow too so I didn't make the MOST progress in the world but I'm just takin' my time. Anyway Piccies.

Theres a group shot, awwwww they look so happy together.

Theres a close up of the body, now if you notice, it is actually made of plywood. . Thats pretty funny, but if you think about it it's actually like 7 + guitars in one. Anywho, I'm off. Leave suggestions on parts 'n stuff if you got em. Peace y'allz.
Last edited by MuffinMan at Jun 5, 2006,
just wondering, how did u take off the guard? did u desolder the wires or cut them.

if u cut wires, u make them a little smaller, and run the risk of running short when u go to reassemble.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Since the whole pickup cavity is routed out, drop in 2 humbuckers. Like for distortion in the bridge put in a Dimbucker.
I was gunna put a stacked hummer in the bridge for my distortion, SHR-1 Hotrails i think (HIGH OUTPUT RAWRO !) But I want a more vintagey sound from the top two, so I'm thinking some sort of noisless singles.

And i cut them, but riiight near the end on the jack, and took the solder off with my cutters (under the advisal of schecter-06). And no need to worry about running out of wire, there was plenty to move the pickguard around with, a cm or two wont be that bad. No worries =D.

I know this has been answered in a sticky (i thinkith) but I want to know what your guys or gals personal preferences are on paints and laquers, because I need to start thinking about what kind to get. I'm painting it white if that helps.
auto paints work well.

is that what u meant?

and i used cans of gloss spray lacquer i got from a hardware store on mine.
spray let dry sand, spray let dry sand. over and over.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jun 5, 2006,
yeah, thats what i meant. The lacquer sounds like the hard part, meh.
Lacquer in aerosol cans is not a difficult process. I'd say the hardest thing is getting the old paint out from the horns. You spray guitars in the same way you spray cars. Maybe your uncle can give you some help slash free paint.
Well, finished sanding the front, except the innards, which im probably gunna do, I'm not sure if it's recommended or not, but I want to get al this crap off it. And good news, I may be able to get a new neck for free or cheap ! Sure it's a used squire strat neck, but it's maple and has the big headstock I'm looking for. It doesn't feel to bad either. Anyway heres a picture of my slight progress (not that anybody cares)

-EDIT- I'm not sure if my uncle will be able to help, he 's been busy as hell paying off some work they did on their house. Meh...
Last edited by MuffinMan at Jun 6, 2006,
dont mess with the neck pocket. dont paint it or sand it.

and when u paint a guitar, u can paint over paint. u just scuff it up first.

i only stripped my guitar when i was staining it a natural color.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Meh, I'm just playing it safe 'cuz I'm painting it white. So should I tape off the socket or what? I wasn't planning on messing with it though, just the guts. The paint seems to come off righ tafter the finish anyway, and I've got nothing but time.. heh..
yep, tape in the neck pocket while painting works fine.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Alright sweet, thanks for the heads up.
you dont really need to sand the inside the route, becuz, the pickguard will be covering it thats why i hadn done the insides of mine, which my parts havent sowed up yet, I ordered them on friday and they better be here tomorrow when i get home from summerschool.
Yeah I know, but it's REALLY grody in there and I'd like it not to build up, even if I'll never see it again. Besides it's not like I have friends to do things with anyway.. just sort of sitting..
did u use a beltsander or seomthing electric? looks so flat...and corners so sharp
but dun matter~
gonna do it white eh.. gd luck.. i think its the hardest colour to do good cos its so clean and every lil thing shows... make sure u sand it down smooth after every spray.. and b4 u spray at all rub the ENTIRE surface with grain filler.. even if it feels smooth to ur finger.. its not... *bad memories floods bak*...then sand it by hand with like 1000grit sand paper.. spray away

o yea... make sure u ask ur hardware store guy abt the sprays.. cos i glossed my white project b4... and it turned out yellowy...i was pist.. major pist... but nothing i could do at that stage
my humble gears:

Ibanez Prestige RG1570 with EVOS!!!
Epiphone Std LesPaul with PAFs

EVJ -> 1960av
EHX Metal Muff, Big Muff, Small Clone
Ibanez WD7, VOX V847, OD-3, BLT slap echo

FIRST Member #11 of the EHX Users Guild
don't sand in the cavities. chances are it already has a protective coating in as to not have dust inside that might screw up wiring.

i started a project too with a strat and i just finished the last coat of white primer. if you're worried it'll look ugly in the cavities, just lay it out with felt or somethin.
Quote by greendayguitar
My dog's name is Bailey...

Mine too.

Aren't Squire Bullets made out of plywood? Anyway, good luck, I like the idea.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
^ yep, the indeed are. Wasn't very suprised when I sanded it down and had those layers of grotesque cheap woods staring back at me. They are nice fellows if not bad in appearance, bu quite good for light conversation. I'm glad I took the time to get to know them kekeke ^___________^

and nah, I'm not worried it'll look bad I just get all caugh tup in perfectionism and all that jazz, alright though, through your advice i will leave it be !

ach ! and nope, I did it by hand, only with 80 grit so far, I haven't gotten to the finer sandpapers, I'll be sure to ask about the spray too, thanks for the heads up !

-EDIT- not that I would be too mad about the yellowish, perhaps it would appear all vintagey and cool ! character comes in strange ways... such as your paint keeling over like a fat maqn who ate too much raw fish..
Last edited by MuffinMan at Jun 7, 2006,
^ lol so agreed .. thats my excuse to my fds when they ask me y it looks like pee..
its meant to be vintage!!
my humble gears:

Ibanez Prestige RG1570 with EVOS!!!
Epiphone Std LesPaul with PAFs

EVJ -> 1960av
EHX Metal Muff, Big Muff, Small Clone
Ibanez WD7, VOX V847, OD-3, BLT slap echo

FIRST Member #11 of the EHX Users Guild
Quote by ClaptonRules
Like for distortion in the bridge put in a Dimbucker.

dont use a dimebucker they are just sh*t! just pure sh*t in a pup

nice idea and guitar
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Well progress is slow, I've been pretty busy, relatives in town and all. I did get some more sanding done and decided I'm going to replace my white pickguard with a black pearl one, and the new hardware will be black. Heres a picture, the text and stick figure aren't written in but you guys have imagination, use it =P.

Page 1 of 2