So, here's what happened. My band broke up for many reasons, but a key one was that one member quit, two were staying in our home city, and two (one of which is me) have moved over an hour away to go to school. For information's sake, our drummer quit, our bass player and singer stayed, and me and the keyboardist left.

When we broke up, our singer said "I think all the songs should die with the band." and my response was I'm going to keep the riffs that I wrote, and just structure the songs a little differently (since I realize the mistakes I've made with some of them). He didn't agree with it, but said whatever since he was going on tour with this other band anyways.

So, am I wrong for taking the songs? I don't think it's wrong for a few reasons:

1. We never got signed/copywrited or anything
2. We completed 10 songs, 8 of which were written and structured by me, and 2 of which we're written and structured by the keyboardist (except one part, where I added a solo). So all the material is ours
3. If our band HAD stayed together, I'd have to drive at least an hour (twice) to train the new drummer, because I'd be the only person it would work with. And to do that while being a full time student working 35 hours a week wouldn't work.
4. We're changing the vocal melodies anyways, except for the rare occasion that it followed the guitar
5. I've worked on these songs for a long time, and just because it didn't work with one band, doesn't mean I'm going to give up.

Any thoughts and opinions? Am I doing anything wrong? Thanks.

Edit: I'm playing in a new band with the same keyboard player
Oh ho, everyday is an adventure
Last edited by BigCheese at Jun 3, 2006,
no your not wrong for taking them,especially the ones you wrote.im not sure if the 2 you didnt write you should take with out permission of the keyboardist,but the other 8 are yours so keep them
Last edited by ramones6678 at Jun 3, 2006,
No, I don't think it's wrong. When my old band broke up, I kept a song I wrote, and just changed the lyrics because it wern't copyrighted and what not, plus it's a good song.
I enjoy a hearty roast dinner...

...for breakfast.
You wrote them,their your songs. Plus none of them have any copyright or anything..
When your body's tired, exercise your mind.
if you were the cheif songwriter, I don't see a problem with playing the same songs. This is always tricky business though. My last band had the same problem when we disbanded. Except the lyrics were a 50/50 split between myself and the vocalist, the music was mainly in my hands being the guitarist. But, we came to an agreement that most of the songs in their previous arrangments shouldn't be played. But, our circumstances were a bit different than yours.
Yeah, I quit my band 'cause I moved, and the fuhkers took all of my music, uncluding the last one I wrote before I moved. They thought it was equally theirs because they added drums to it and because our lead guitarist PLAYED the solo, while the solo was WRITTEN by me.

Bullshaith if you ask me, but whatever. I've moved on to a different style of music.

Ok, now your problem. No, it is not wrong of you to take your music. You wrote it, it's yours. But honestly I think you'd feel better of yourself if you were more creative and came up with new things.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Quote by TehNez
But honestly I think you'd feel better of yourself if you were more creative and came up with new things.

Oh yeah, we're still writing new stuff, just the other songs are good, so we don't want them to go to waste.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm continuing to play with our keyboard player. So all the songs are ours.

Thanks everyone for their opinions, I didn't think what I was doing was wrong, but I'm still curious to what everyone thinks. Thanks.
Oh ho, everyday is an adventure
Quote by TehNez
You wrote it, it's yours. But honestly I think you'd feel better of yourself if you were more creative and came up with new things.

He's already begun to address this.

Quote by BigCheese
I'm going to keep the riffs that I wrote, and just structure the songs a little differently (since I realize the mistakes I've made with some of them).

If anything, this is an excellent example of how to handle a band breaking up - you were honest about it just being too difficult to keep the same group together, and you're going to take the material that you wrote and reuse it.

I wish that the last band breakup I went through went so well.

i think you're morally in the clear, but i still think you'll find that with a new band, it'll be better to write all new stuff. If it's JUST you and the keyboardist, then totally keep playing that stuff, but if you're getting new members, ditch it.
the breakup of a band is a great time to be writing new material though - don't cling to much to what you've already done or you'll never progress.
myspace.com/dropoutdale
what ever you write is the goverment's... so no, no you may not keep them
meow :3
Quote by Remebol
what ever you write is the goverment's... so no, no you may not keep them

Shutup.

Anyway, my band's old drummer wrote the lyrics to one of our songs, and also did the drum line. The rest, I wrote everything... All drum, bass, guitar, and vocal lines. We just rewrote the lyrics and drum beat to the one he wrote, that's all.
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
Go ahead and keep them, but I wouldn't do it. I didn't do it in from my last band, and there was some great riffs in that band. I personally felt better writing new stuff.
Quote by BreakingBnj
Shutup.

Anyway, my band's old drummer wrote the lyrics to one of our songs, and also did the drum line. The rest, I wrote everything... All drum, bass, guitar, and vocal lines. We just rewrote the lyrics and drum beat to the one he wrote, that's all.

what ever asshole its just a joke. And please for god sakes its not worth quoting this and telling me im a bigger asshole.
meow :3
keep them. and since you are still workin with the keyboardist you can keep his songs too. obviously since you two wrote all the songs you are the talented songwriters, so itll be good that you two stuck together. i would also suggest writing a song that goes along the lines of "haha we kept all the songs we are making our own band now your old band sucks we rule hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaaaaaahhhhhhaahhahhahhahhaaahahhaahahhahaahhahahaahahahahhahahaahhahahahahahhahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahaahahahhahahahaahhaahahha stupid."

we're dicks