Sorry to make another thread asking for help but this is the last time i will need it. I am trying to build a distortion pedal with a PC Board layout like this:

And I bought a PC Board that looks like this:

I'm kind of a noob at this and I was wondering if someone could tell me where to put the stuff on the board that I bought.
Quote by spazzymagee417
i would pay more for a midget corpse than an average size corpse
maybe something like this?

Red is capacitors, Blue and Pink and Black are Battery and Volume wires, Green is diodes,
Attachments:
stuff.jpg
Quote by spazzymagee417
Last edited by Tedrick at Jun 3, 2006,
Since you bought a perf board instead of a pc board that would have to be etched, you can pretty much put the parts how ever they will fit since you will have to solder the leads together anyway. Just make sure you put the pieces in there the right way, and solder them in correctly.
Wait, so it doesnt matter how i put them together?
Or I just have to solder the ends togther at the right palces?

Quote by spazzymagee417
Its easier to try to put them in as specified. But lets say that you cant put them in the exact way and have them all fit, well then you can angle the pieces differently so they will fit. And as long as you solder the leads together in the right places and remeber where they are and what they go to, the when you hook it up it should work just fine.
Quote by Tedrick
maybe something like this?

Red is capacitors, Blue and Pink and Black are Battery and Volume wires, Green is diodes,

I'm sorry, but that's completely wrong...
As long as the parts connect correctly you're fine.

And just for your information, thats not PC board, thats a piece of perfboad.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by greenbox
I'm sorry, but that's completely wrong...

lol, i had a feeling it was

Thanks everybody, im gunna go and try and build it now
Quote by spazzymagee417
You don't have to lay everything out the same, just make sure the signal goes through each component when it has to. Like.. from the input, into the bypass switch, then into C1, into R2 + Trans leg B, and so on. Make sure the voltage goes through R3, then to Trans leg C. And from R3, through C2 and D1 + D2, and so on.
Quite confusing, you just gotta work out the signal path, what needs voltage, what goes to ground. And I believe the green wires on the bypass switch are mixed up.
These go to eleven...
if you give me a sec, i'll have finished a trace
it's a crappy trace, but it should be right

i already see atleast one uncessesary wire lead though...

although, make sure you have the bias on your diodes correct, it doesn't say on the schematic (I don't think it does), but as long as you have them going in opposite directions in parallel, you should be fine

IE:

---|<---
--->|---

correction: it actually has atleast 2 mistakes (i think... if not more)
Attachments:
trace.jpg
Last edited by greenbox at Jun 3, 2006,
Quote by greenbox
if you give me a sec, i'll have finished a trace
it's a crappy trace, but it should be right

i already see atleast one uncessesary wire lead though...

although, make sure you have the bias on your diodes correct, it doesn't say on the schematic (I don't think it does), but as long as you have them going in opposite directions in parallel, you should be fine

IE:

---|<---
--->|---

aw ****, i already built it before i saw your post. If I have the diodes going the same direction will it not work?

EDIT: Fixed the diodes, still the pedal doesn't work, I think it has something to do with the input/outputs becuase when i turn it on i can hear the buzz of the distortion but it wont pick up my playing

Is there a difference between input jacks and output jacks? I think I may have bought two inputs...

anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT2: heres the jack i am using for the input AND output...
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062453&cp

is this not what i want for the output?
Quote by spazzymagee417
^ i actually don't know...

i'm thinking no though... commonly, diodes are set biased in opposite direction when in parallel
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
You don't have to lay everything out the same, just make sure the signal goes through each component when it has to. Like.. from the input, into the bypass switch, then into C1, into R2 + Trans leg B, and so on. Make sure the voltage goes through R3, then to Trans leg C. And from R3, through C2 and D1 + D2, and so on.
Quite confusing, you just gotta work out the signal path, what needs voltage, what goes to ground. And I believe the green wires on the bypass switch are mixed up.

Whoa thanks for cathing that, i think thats what is making it not work, either that or the output.

Anyway... I'm going to my mates birthday celebration tonight so ill post results at 10 eastern if anyone is interested
Quote by spazzymagee417
oh btw, don't go by my layout, i'm pretty sure it has several errors in it
Quote by greenbox
oh btw, don't go by my layout, i'm pretty sure it has several errors in it

Yeah i noticed that and I already made it correctly, just a problem with the output
Quote by spazzymagee417
Sorry about the double post but I have a new problem that i need some help with...

I took JimPlaysGuitar's advice and switched the green wires that were connected to the switch. That got it so that when the switch is in the "On" position it works but when it is off there is no sound. I think this might be due to a problem with the output

I attached a picture of how to output looks now... One of the prongs is left open as the schematic says... is that right? Also i am using the same type of jack for output and input... is that right? Plus I accidently put on a 2.2k Ohm resistor where there should be a 2.2M will that make a big difference in sound? Would it helped if i used a 680k there instead?

I would really appreciate it if you guys could answer some of my questions. Thanks.
Attachments:
output bad.jpg
Quote by spazzymagee417
Quote by Tedrick
Sorry about the double post but I have a new problem that i need some help with...

I took JimPlaysGuitar's advice and switched the green wires that were connected to the switch. That got it so that when the switch is in the "On" position it works but when it is off there is no sound. I think this might be due to a problem with the output

I attached a picture of how to output looks now... One of the prongs is left open as the schematic says... is that right? Also i am using the same type of jack for output and input... is that right? Plus I accidently put on a 2.2k Ohm resistor where there should be a 2.2M will that make a big difference in sound? Would it helped if i used a 680k there instead?

I would really appreciate it if you guys could answer some of my questions. Thanks.

I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at (the picture is kinda blurry), but it sounds like a problem with the switch.

And yes, normally if the resistance values are a little off, it won't matter, but when they're off by a factor of 1000, there might be a problem.

Funny story, when I was building my tweed champ, they sent me 1.5 Mohm resistors instead fo 1.5 Kohm, I measured it, but i didn't pay much attention to the resistance. It "worked" but when i pushed it to 12, i could BARELY hear anything. So I had to clip them and replace them with 1.5Ks. On a side note, I will never buy from mojo music supply ever again.
^ Yeah sorry the pic is very blurry, i made a paint representation of what it looks like though, and the switch

Can I replace a 2.2M ohm resistor with two 680k ohm resistors? Will that work or am I an idiot?

On the layout that I have been using it shows three wires connecting to 3 prongs on the input jack... does it matter which prongs i connect the wires to? Because i kinda just guessed...

Based on this diagram can anyone see what could be wrong? (NOTE the unused prong on the output)

EDIT: By the way thanks to Green and everyone else who has helped me, it is much appreciated
Attachments:
Output and Switch jpeg.jpg
Quote by spazzymagee417
Last edited by Tedrick at Jun 4, 2006,
You *could* place 3 680k resistors in series, and you'd get 2 Meg ohms, but that's never a good idea. (long explanation, but basically just over-complicates the circuit). The important part here is that you have diodes and transistors, they're non-linear circuit elements. So if one of your component values (typically resistors) are off by too big of a margin, enough to affect threshold voltages, then it'll completely change your circuit. So just try to fall within spec as close as possible.

The toggle switch looks good though.

As for the output jack, it mainly depends on whether or not it's a stereo jack (which it looks like it is from the diagram) or if it's a self-shorting mono-jack.

If it's a stereo jack, then you don't have to worry about connecting anything to the other pole, since it'll just be grounded when you connect a mono-plug to it.

As long as the tip and sleeve are connected correctly, it should work perfectly when OFF. I'd just doublecheck your connections and see if there's anything wrong (although it looks fine from the diagram)
Last edited by greenbox at Jun 4, 2006,