Well, here's my problem. I love metal, but for some reason I can't produce it myself.
I guess I don't have the agression. I'm never angry. I haven't had anything to be bitter about.

Here's why I like metal (80's, progressive, thrash):

intensity
great riffs
amazing guitarists
I love to let loose and headbang
kicks butt
great lyrics

Yeah, have any ideas for composing a blend of the above genres of metal with instrumental/power pop? Yeah, not really focusing on the agression.

Any ideas for getting me into the mood, any good bands to get into, making it more a part of me, as well as it naturally coming out when I'm playing around and improvising?

and please post CONSTRUCTIVE stuff. No "just go home and keep listening" comments. I'm doing that as it is.

and no derrogatory stuff.

help me?
Well first off I'd suggest getting into Opeth. They're a really great progressive metal band. But as far as coming up with your own metal...hmmm...that's a tricky one because I don't recall having that problem. How advanced are you with the guitar? I'm assuming you're just starting out so you'll probably need to look up the tabs to some of your favorite songs and try to start playing them. After you learn some you'll see sorta how it's done and you'll be able to hopefully branch off to start writing your own things.
Me + Ibanez RGT42DXFM + Digitech GNX3000 + Crate GT1200H = Sex
tempo should be about 160 +

make a really good acoustic classical riff to either start the song or as an interlude for all those headbangers to regain control of there bodies

erm

be creative

mix genres

whenever i wrote metal riffs i added a blues or jazz taste

listen to more types of music from that period

and obvious one practice

sorry if thats not what you wanted to hear

good luck
maybe you're just not meant to write metal? if you're always happy and **** then maybe you should write pop... or try PCP

if you don't want to be a faggot then learn these modes and try writing in them...

Dorian
Phygrian
Aeolian
Hungarian
Rhygorian

and anything in the blues scales... dimebag, page, jerry cantrell, and mustaine wrote in these alot

if you do write metal then don't be a sellout bitch...
Quote by Kymble
tempo should be about 160 +

Are you serious?
If you don't already listen to them check out Norther....just because I love them.

As for writing metal, you can go with mainly two types of riff, there's slow powerful riffs ala Black Sabbath, some Pantera...or fast intense riffs like Megadeth's Holy Wars...
Or you can mix dynamics and use both....depends on your main influences really I guess.

Also try to keep it simple if you're starting writing, use the classic song structure:
Intro
verse
chorus
verse
chorus
solo
chorus
end

You'd be amazed how many amazing songs use such a simple structure.

Also, it's hard to write a good flowing song, so don't get disheartened if your first few suck, good writing come with practice.

I can't really say much else on writing metal because I don't usually write metal things, but good luck
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
Try listening to Daysend, they're a relatively new Australian metal(core?) band who're very melodic and almost pop-sounding. I'm not sure if they're considered metal or metalcore or something else, but they seem like they might be a good fit for what you're looking for.

As for making metallic riffs, try going into drop D and muting and chugging the low E string and fretting some notes on the A string in between every so often.
Quote by kirk_rules!
Well first off I'd suggest getting into Opeth. They're a really great progressive metal band. But as far as coming up with your own metal...hmmm...that's a tricky one because I don't recall having that problem. How advanced are you with the guitar? I'm assuming you're just starting out so you'll probably need to look up the tabs to some of your favorite songs and try to start playing them. After you learn some you'll see sorta how it's done and you'll be able to hopefully branch off to start writing your own things.

I'm not exactly starting out. I've been playing for 3 years.

I'll try Opeth. thanks.
Last edited by rockergurl09 at Jun 3, 2006,
yea 160 is a good speed

if he likes thrash metal

i like it fast

XD

xxx
Quote by korn-nut
maybe you're just not meant to write metal? if you're always happy and **** then maybe you should write pop... or try PCP

if you don't want to be a faggot then learn these modes and try writing in them...

Dorian
Phygrian
Aeolian
Hungarian
Rhygorian

and anything in the blues scales... dimebag, page, jerry cantrell, and mustaine wrote in these alot

if you do write metal then don't be a sellout bitch...

well, I want to write metal, and I don't believe in destiny. I'm not meant to write anything. I'm nowhere near bubbly, I'm just never mad. And what I meant by power pop was Weezer. If you listen to them you'll notice the metal-esque riffs combined with a non-metal voice. Quite interesting. Not pop. I hate plain old pop. I can write whatever I want, and I want to write metal. Don't be a faggot.

and don't worry about me being a sellout. I don't listen to korn or the like. No sellout nu-metal for me thanks.
Quote by Kymble
yea 160 is a good speed

if he likes thrash metal

i like it fast

XD

xxx

if "he" is referring to me, I'm a girl. yes I'm a girl.

and I like thrash metal.

and what to do if you're not too good at speed picking like me?
A good metal band with very skilled musicians is Dragonforce. Since you say you're never mad then they are good becuase they're what I like to call "happy metal". Not really they're power metal but that's usually more upbeat than most.

I've been making up some pretty cool sounding metal riffs in the past few days. I've been looking up tabs for songs I like, taking the basic idea, changing it up, and making it my own. Really it just takes determination I guess. Don't force yourself to write songs. Take as much time as you need.

Some idea's to incorporate: Palm muting (duh), hammer on's pull offs, pinch harmonics, power chords (don't overuse though), and SPEED!!!
Quote by rockergurl09
and what to do if you're not too good at speed picking like me?

Uhh...get better at it?
Sorry, had to say it.
im sure i read a guide to this somewhere....

....most metal songs use minor and blues scales...

....try a calm opening/slower version of the main riff you're using. pinch harmonics are good thing too...and double-stopped chords
Quote by SilentDeftone
The best thing to do is to analyze what's happening in the songs. What scales are being used? What rhythms? Are there chromatic tones thrown in? etc.

-SD

this is pretty much the only good advice in here...

Your tempo is completely independant of genre.

alright, you should name some of the bands you like... because almost everyone has a different Idea of what metal is... for example when you listen to Opeth you'll probably wonder why the **** anyone would listen to a guy sing like that... but when you listen to Megadeth it makes perfect sense...

anyways... if you cant write it naturally, you should try playing more of it... if you cant copy other bands in the same genre, then likely your playing ability just isnt high enough... and sometimes the best way to improve is to really focus on playing an entire song that is above your level...

if you can already play like whoever it is that you want to sound like, but cant, then you just need to start analyzing the music... just like SD said.

and do you have a band to work with or is it just you?
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly
Last edited by `NeXxuS` at Jun 3, 2006,
Quote by SilentDeftone
The best thing to do is to analyze what's happening in the songs. What scales are being used? What rhythms? Are there chromatic tones thrown in? etc.

-SD

Thanks, SD!! me-->
Quote by `NeXxuS`
this is pretty much the only good advice in here...

Your tempo is completely independant of genre.

alright, you should name some of the bands you like... because almost everyone has a different Idea of what metal is... for example when you listen to Opeth you'll probably wonder why the **** anyone would listen to a guy sing like that... but when you listen to Megadeth it makes perfect sense...

anyways... if you cant write it naturally, you should try playing more of it... if you cant copy other bands in the same genre, then likely your playing ability just isnt high enough... and sometimes the best way to improve is to really focus on playing an entire song that is above your level...

if you can already play like whoever it is that you want to sound like, but cant, then you just need to start analyzing the music... just like SD said.

and do you have a band to work with or is it just you?

well, here's the metal I like, even though I will probably expand my tastes (I've only liked metal for about 6 months.) So by all means, people in this thread tell me what to take a look at

Ozzy, Van Halen, Black Sabbath (older stuff with really good not necessarily fast powerful hooks as well as amazing guitarists)
Metallica (awesome guitar, fast, just flat out kicks butt)
Dream Theater (amazing guitar and lyrics, fantasy feel to it, great complexity, has the kick butt element, uplifting)

just me at the moment. Can't find any somewhat skilled musicians with the same interests. And gosh those drummers and bassists are elusive...
Last edited by rockergurl09 at Jun 5, 2006,
I feel the same way. Maybe I'll take up bass.

To write a metal song, copy what others did. All people learn like monkeys, and humans are just an advanced breed of monkeys. Anyway, first find something you like, whether it be Master of Puppets, or Iron man. Copy it and learn from it. Take a little knowledge out of every song you know. It's a long process.

The rhythm of metal is essentialy a riff. This rhythm is an essential tool for writing metal. Master the art of riffs, and you will have a pretty badass song. Solo's on the other hand, are crazy hard. Use your knowledge of scales, rhythms, articulation, and tone quality to create the best solo you can.