Hey guys, I'm considering buying a Gibson SG Standard and am thus considering swapping out the pickups...

I play melodic punk/hardcore - see Bayside, Bad Religion, Funeral for a Friend. Lots of stop/start and chugging with leads and solos, so I need tight bass response and mid-to-high gain... Opinions on a bridge/neck pickup set...? So far I've been looking at:

Swineshead Warthog + Runway.
Seymour Duncan JB/Custom + ?
DiMarzio Super Distortion + ?

Thanks.
I'm in the same situation and am thinking of getting a Dimebucker for the bridge and a '59 for the neck (both by Seymour Duncan), but I'm looking to play mostly hard rock and metal so...ja.
Last edited by InSaynePig at Jun 3, 2006,
GET THE GIBSON TONY IOMMI SIGNATURE PICKUPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't care if you play punk, if I had an SG I'd get those pups in a sec.
“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach
Quote by azn_guitarist25
what amp do you have?

dude. you need to stop. I'm cutting you off.

Personally, I'd probably go with the SD's. In your situation/style, probably the swinesheads.
1995 MIM Fender Strat
Breedlove AD25/SM Acoustic
Chandler Les Paul w/Duncan Alnico II-Pro & Pearly Gates
Little Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Vox AD50VT

Quote by CheeseMuffin909
Zakk Wylde.
He's like Elton John but with a guitar, more stylish clothes, and not gay.
Quote by PapaDelicious
dude. you need to stop. I'm cutting you off.

Personally, I'd probably go with the SD's. In your situation/style, probably the swinesheads.

dude your amp is where most of your sounds come from
^Exactly, he needs to know what amp you've got, so that the pickups will sound good thru the amp, there's no point if he's got a Spider 2 or an MG, getting some expensive pickups for an already great guitar, when he needs a new amp.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
A the moment a Marshall Valvestate VS-100 (ewww) but for my birthday in a couple of months, I'll be getting probably the Laney TT50 head, unless I can find a head I like better, which I haven't yet...
At a stretch... I probably couldn't afford a full set, but I could probably afford one and then a cheaper one so say, a Bareknuckle in the Bridge and a Swineshead in the neck or something... What Bareknuckles do you suggest?
Quote by Phoenix62187
Give gibson bustbucker pro's a shot. They pack a punch....

+1, My friend get 'em put in his SG standard. Sounds really really good
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
wait

let me get this straight.....

Your getting a SG standard for over a grand....and then switching the pickups?!?!?

Couldn't you save 200 bucks for an SG special or 500 bucks for a SG special faded?

I'm almost positive the whole SG family have the same specs but the SG standard is more expesive for the sexier finish and different pickups

I say get a special or faded cause your switching the pickups anyway.....

Plus youll have a couple hundred left over so you can save up for a new amp

Edit: Plus youll actually have enough money then to get 2 great pickups instead of one great and one decent.
Gibson SG Special Faded

Vox Valvetronix AD15VT Amp

Squier Acoustic starter pack
Are they def. the same specs? If so I'll do that... But still, the thread stands as pickup suggestions hehe.
Holy crap, in England the SG Special is $499... What's that... About $850-900... That's good value if it plays the same as the standard...
hmmm... I went to Gibsons website to compare specs but they list specs on one guitar but different specs on the other..... wierd lol

But anyway when i compared em on the musicians friend website they are EXACTLY the same spec wise except the Standard has a different pickup at the bridge.

Also the standard has trapazoid inlays and the crest for the head inlay. It also has a sexier finish.

So im still not positive but im pretty sure you could get a better deal with the Special if you want to sacrifice the inlays. If you don't care about looks at all then you could get the faded special which is exactly the same as the Special. I paid around $680 for the faded and it's a great guitar.
Gibson SG Special Faded

yeah the SG special is around 900 bucks here

But the standard just looks wayyy cooler lol

But you shouldnt worry about looks

does anyone disagree with me about the standard and the special having the exact specs hardware wise besides the pickups?
Gibson SG Special Faded

If I don't have a problem with the cosmetics - i.e. I don't mind dot inlays as opposed to trapezoids, and I'd be swapping the pickups anyway, is there any real difference?
The only real difference i found out is that the Standard is longer than the special. The standard is 18.157 and the special is 18.062. Im pretty sure those measurements are in inches. Also the Standard has neck binding which is again cosmetic.
Gibson SG Special Faded

Good choices of music, mate!

As for the guitar, I'd recommend getting a better amp. Think about it...Gibson SGs already have great pickups. Instead of spending 150-200 dollars on new pickups, spend that money on a nice amp that can give you those bands' tones. Also, get the pedals that they use to get their sound.

If you really insist on getting new pickups, though, get JBs. They have good clarity and will get you that "chugg" sound you're craving.

Good luck, keep me posted on what you decide upon.
Hehe thanks man... You into those guys to? I just started listening to Bayside about a few weeks ago, and man they blow my mind... They're an awesome band

I'm already getting a new amp... Most likely a Laney TT50H. If I get my grades this summer and meet my university offer, my dad said he'd buy me the amp, and I thought I'd treat myself to a new guitar ya see...
^ les paul rentals kinda made my point thats what im trying to say lol

Bayside rules...

Have you listened to Brand New though?

Utterly amazing those guys are.....
Gibson SG Special Faded

Quote by jimmy_fowler
I'm already getting a new amp... Most likely a Laney TT50H. If I get my grades this summer and meet my university offer, my dad said he'd buy me the amp, and I thought I'd treat myself to a new guitar ya see...

Yeah, good idea. SGs aren't my favorite guitar to be honest, but I will admit they sound great. You should have fun with it.

Only problem is the chicks don't dig SG bodies as much as Strat bodies...do you know how many chicks I've impressed with my Squier?
Gawd yes... Deja Entendu is a masterpiece... *drools*... Everyone who hates that kinda music should be forced to listen to a copy... Prove that there's more to it that powerchords and lyrics about girls...

EDIT: Just a note to those who are still reading! - I've read up on the Special vs. Standard and read mixed reviews... Obviously the main differences are cosmetics and the stock pickups, but there's been a few mixed reviews... Some say that it's not as well balanced, others that the hardware wears or breaks quite quickly, amongst other things...

Is this the true difference between the Special and the Standard or just the standard occasional duds?
Last edited by jimmy_fowler at Jun 5, 2006,
i know every song word from word on that album

Your favorite weapon is amazing for a pop punk album too

Have you heard brand new's demos for their new album?
theyve recorded like 50 songs and most of em arent going on the album but some guy leaked 9 on the internet

Ive only heard 3 but they sounds great but really....80s.. I dont the album is going to sound like that cause it sounds like theyre trying really hard now to sound like morrisey. Jesse said none of them are going on the album though

It's literally impossible to get tickets to a brand new show in US now cause they just started touring again

Douche bags are ordering like 50 tickets and keeping one for themselves and selling the rest on ebay for like 200-300 bucks a ticket (no joke finding a ticket for 175 is great deal) so it's very hard to see a show now

I'd kill a man to see a brand new show this summer...
Gibson SG Special Faded

That sucks.. No I haven't heard the new ones... I'll have to check them out!.

To anyone still reading! : (copied from above) I've read up on the Special vs. Standard and read mixed reviews... Obviously the main differences are cosmetics and the stock pickups, but there's been a few mixed reviews... Some say that it's not as well balanced, others that the hardware wears or breaks quite quickly, amongst other things...

Is this the true difference between the Special and the Standard or just the standard occasional duds?