hi my sister let me borrow her guitar. she bought it cheap from one of her friends in a band back in 1999. he was getting a new one and told her this was a gibson. now my friends and i have a couple theories about this.
#1: it has the headstock shape of a gibson(proved by my guitar instructor)
#2: there is an extra hole over the plate on the headstock that says gibson. like someone took a plate off and put a gibson one on.
#3: the guitar is light and thin for a les paul standard which leads us to believe its a studio version
#4: it sounds like a gibson. pinch harmonics are absolutely amazing!
#5 this is where it gets wierd. on the bottom of the neck on the back it says made in korea.

sorry i cant put up any pics. if you have any questions or comments please help me! thank you for your time.
nope gibsons are not korean, if somebody has replaced the truss rod cover with a gibson one then that means there wasn't a gibson one there in the first place. Also, studios are not light
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
What does it say on the headstock?

Because Gibsons all say "Gibson" on the headstock.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Yea, Studios are identical for Standards apart from binding. Its the Specials which are light.
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
do you know any korean guitar makers that make les paul knockoffs?
ive been told by more than 3 people that the gibson lespaul studio is thinner and slightly lighter than a gibson les paul standard. they said it was liek bridging the gap between epiphone and gibson.
they might have replaced the pickups on it if its not a gibson cause it plays beautifully
EDIT: sorry on the headstock it says lady luck and it might have been painted on there.
I can almost say 100% that what you got there aint a Gibson. Korea has loads of Gibson knock offs
My Gear:

Quote by HugeRed
they said it was liek bridging the gap between epiphone and gibson

I think you were told a load of bull****
My Gear:

^ Yup

There are only 4 differences between the Studio and Standard:

1 - Studio comes in better colours

2 - Standard has binding

3 - Studio says 'Studio' on headstock whilst Standards say 'Standard'

4 - Standards are about $800/£500 more.

I have a Studio and my friend has a Standard and we both agreed, these are the only differences. You are thinking of the Specials which are indeed a bit thinner and lighter.
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
Pics, I'm curious.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Quote by Frostithe
You are thinking of the Specials which are indeed a bit thinner and lighter.

and crapper
My Gear:

found my camera. and yes i know the strings are on wrong on three of them.

deffinately not Gibson, I just compared them headstocks and it is wrong. The dip in the middle at the top is too diped. And, the fact that there is a screw hole above the truss rod cover means that it never had a Gibson truss rod cover on before somebody stuck that one on. Also, why would anybody paint over the Gibson with Lady Luck? I think your sister was had
My Gear:

Also, it has binding so it couldn't be a studio and it's black so it can't be a standard, nope sorry that is 100% knock off
My Gear:

Definately a fake. Gibson truss rod covers don't break the bank, and it's obviously smaller than the original cover.

lol thanks. good thing her ex boyfreind payed for it . it still sounds 1000times better than my peavey raptor exp so im gonna try and take it from her.
what is binding? sorry ive only been playing for about 2 months.
and do you have any clue to what brand knock off it might be? (i know thats a long shot)
obviously the brand of knock off is Lady Luck
also, the binding is that yellow (looks yellow in the picture) rims around the body and the neck
My Gear:

yeah its a yellowish gold. ive searched lady luck and have found next to nothing. thanks again
Well, truth is, most knock off brands don't really exist.

They're just a name on a headstock, which doesn't get linked to the company that actually made them.

alright. thanks to everyone here. this thread can be locked now since theres nmo mroe point in it.
oooh nice! too bad they dont have a website, but then again what do you expect from a knockoff. i think youre the koolest british guy i know tabber. dont feel to proud cuase youre the only one.
probably cause I'm half American eh?
My Gear:

Also, I've never seen a Gibson LP that had dot inlays. They're usually block or trapazoid.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free