Page 1 of 2
im saving up to buy one. i heard they're heavy, but sound incredible. but what are they really like?
Yes, they are heavier than your regular guitars but you get used to it after a while. If you are used to playing a Strat, playing an LP will be uncomfortable for a while because of the lack of body concaves. But again, you get used to it.

The necks on most LP's are thicker than Fender's or Ibanez's etc but again, you get used to it. They do sound incredible but like all guitars, it depends on your amp. A £3000 Gibson Les Paul Custom will sound **** through an MG10 so upgrade amp first, then guitar.
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
While this might sound strange, my epiphone matches a gibson tone for tone on a better amp, although the difference is radical on not soo good amps. So i'd reccomend you to look for one of those rare great-sounding epiphones. Or any other les paul copy for that matter. You really get more for your money, and you save lots of cash for upgrades, like better pickups etc. etc.

But if you're deadset on a gibson, they will generally be way better than the average epiphone, so if you're unsure about how to go about finding that great non-gibson les paul, the gibson might be the best choice, seeing as how gibsons have generally very high quality on their instruments

Btw, i owned a gibson for a while, before i decided it wasn't worth the money and returned it.
I own a Gibson, very good guitar, not heavy (not for me because I have only ever owned a LP of some sort except for a strat I owned very briefly)
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
LPs are heavier than strats and have a thicker neck, but that weight is from the body and its what gives it such great sustain. If you are willing to pay the big price, go for it. (they start at around $800.) You could just get an epiphone, same guitars as Gibson but cheaper quality, like Squier to Fender. Epiphones however can be pricey (last time i checked LP standards were $400.) i heard of this brand called Agile that make LP copies but much better quality than epiphone, and their prices are amazing. (AL-2000, an Agile standard LP is worth $150-200.) im saving up for an agile so i suggest you check them out. (rondomusic.net)
Gibson Les Pauls are uncomfortable, heavy, overpriced, and f****** awesome!
I wish I had one!
Heavier, uncomfortable, no upperfret access at all, and really fat necks.

Just me, but i hate them.

Edit, and there WAY over priced. A 3000 dollar gibson SHOULD be sold for about MAYBE 850$.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Last edited by ClassicAxe at Jun 3, 2006,
Quote by jonnyguitarman
Nothin beats em mate, go for it.

You've got to be ****ing kidding me
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
meh way overpriced but still good...
"We could only wonder what he would have accomplished is his life hadn't ended so early"

----Randy Rhoads----
My advice to you is save a little money and get and epiphone. Epis are great. What Ive done is Taken an epiphone les paul standard, and the frist thing i did was replace the the pick ups. I replaced them with emg's. Also i added a graph tech nut, and sperzel tuners. and for about $1000 ive got and epi that plays better thatn most gibsons
Gear:
Fernandes Revolver Elite
Schecter C1 Exotic
Schecter C1 Classic
Peavey JSX head
Hartke 4x12 cab
Boss GT-8
BBE 362 Sonic maximizer
^The nut is at the bottom of the headstock, and the graph tech basically makes your guitar stay in tune better
Quote by Hello_kitty_Epi
^The nut is at the bottom of the headstock, and the graph tech basically makes your guitar stay in tune better

ah ok thanks
HEAVY GUITAR too hard to gig with in my opinion.
“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach
To TS, was just wondering how you've decided to save up for one when you haven't handled one to see if the weight is an issue.

You need to play them and see if you still find them incredible after. Loads of people here for whatever reason will spew the same stuff about quality, overprice, heavy and/or to get an Epi Elite or some cheap copy and then just replace the PU. Don't pay attention! Do your own evaluation. There are many personal reasons different people choose a Fender or a Jackson or a PRS or a Gibson. Input from people who already don't like Gibsons will be useless.

If you end up liking one, YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED! 30 years from now, you'll be happy you bought it instead of a copy. A lot of non-pros here find them incredible, just like others find Fender Strats the best. It boils down to personal choice.

EDIT: BTW, if the Epi LP does it for you, then go for it. Again, personal choice.
Last edited by Ippon at Jun 3, 2006,
Im thinking about getting one too. Im not sure if I should get a Gibson Les Paul Standard or a Paul Reed Smith McCarty. They are the same price. Anyone have a recommendation on which I should get?
I would recommend the Gibson LP Studio or the Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard or Custom over a Gibson Les Paul Standard any day.

Most Gibson's aren't worth what they cost. The Studio IS a Les Paul Standard without the fancy cosmetics. Everything else is the same. Oh-the pickups may be a bit different, but that's not a huge deal.

The Studio is $1200, or ~$900 for a faded one (not sure on those...) or ~$850 for the Menace version.

The Epi Elitists go for $900-$1000. They'll be on par with the Gibson Version of the same guitar-although they will sound very slightly different because they use African Mahogany instead of Honduras Mahogany which Gibson usually uses for their higher end guitars.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I don't get why all these people act like they're so heavy...I mean...does everyone here just sit on their ass all day becoming too feeble to support a guitar? It's not like it's 50 pounds, it's 8 pounds. 8 Pounds-except for those few oddball dull sounding ones that are 10-12 pounds, and you don't want one of those anyway.

Seriously people. It's called movement. Do enough of this mystical "movement" stuff, and maybe you won't be winded from letting a guitar hang on your shoulder for two minutes.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Actually, gibson is also a little more lax with its lower-end models, namely studios, and me thinks you'd on average find more duds among them. I wouldn't buy a gibson at the stage you're at, simply because you might come to regret it one day. Sure, if you find one on sale, and you see the opportunity to make money iif you should change your mind in the future and sell it, i say go for it. But please don't buy a gibson too soon and realize in half a year that you really didn't get your money's worth.

Really, if you think you're ready to decide whats a good guitar and not a good guitar, and you're willing to stake so much money on it, im not one to tell you you shouldn't. But if you're even slightly unsure, i'd advice you to get the epiphone, play for another year, work up a taste in guitars, then go around and try out some gibsons until you find that special one.

Even though most gibsons are very good, i think its worth it to spend a little extra time to look for that perfect one that can stay as your main guitar for the rest of your life
ya, enough of this complaining... if you find it too heavy... DONT BUY IT, so we dont have to hear you complaining all the time on how heavy it is...

Jimmy Page, plained one for hours on stage live, and hes really scrony... and i never heard him complain on how heavy it is... sometimes you just have to suck it up, and deal with it... be a man for once!(if you want a les paul)

If you can, try to find a used gibson les paul standard, usually the older gibson are alot better in terms of quality than they are now...

The Epiphone elitest standard les paul, is another good choice, the only significant difference between it and the gibson les paul standard, would probably be the finish, and the pickups... The epi uses a polyurethane finish, with pickups modelled after the 496t and the 490r, while the Gibson has a nitrocellouse finish, with burstbuckers on it...
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Im thinking about getting one too. Im not sure if I should get a Gibson Les Paul Standard or a Paul Reed Smith McCarty. They are the same price. Anyone have a recommendation on which I should get?

PRS's feel like a machine... They dont "sway" with you. What ever. the santana(upper model) kicks ass though
i'm 5 foot 9...160 pounds and i don't find the LP heavy...

go work out or something...or upgrade from that squier starter pack strap.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by Xenn99
I would recommend the Gibson LP Studio or the Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard or Custom over a Gibson Les Paul Standard any day.

Most Gibson's aren't worth what they cost. The Studio IS a Les Paul Standard without the fancy cosmetics. Everything else is the same. Oh-the pickups may be a bit different, but that's not a huge deal.

The Studio is $1200, or ~$900 for a faded one (not sure on those...) or ~$850 for the Menace version.

The Epi Elitists go for $900-$1000. They'll be on par with the Gibson Version of the same guitar-although they will sound very slightly different because they use African Mahogany instead of Honduras Mahogany which Gibson usually uses for their higher end guitars.

:Cheers:

Get a Studio, they are identical to the Standards except for 4 things:

1 - Studio comes in better colours

2 - Standard has binding, Studio doesnt

3 - Standards say 'Standard' on the headstock whilst Studios say 'Studio'

4 - Studios are about $800/£500 cheaper.

The ONLY differences are cosmetic. Same pickups and everything except for those 4 things above.
~ My Gear ~

Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
^lol? The standard has burstbuckers, the studio has 490r and 498t..

Edit: And the standard is the betterlooking one lol..
So it does, my mistake. Ah well, I'm replacing my pickups anyway.

The only difference in looks is the binding and the controls. Can you really justify spending £500/$800 on a strip of plastic?
~ My Gear ~

Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Les Pauls are viewed by many different people in many ways. This is because it is a fantastic guitar and some people want to find flaws in order to be satisfied with other lower rangers. The LP is one of the most expensive mainstrem guitar you can buy, only top notch Ibanezs, some acoustics and guitars owned by well known people are more than LPs.

The LPs were originally rejected by Gibson, but eventually they gave into Mr Les Paul himself and now they have become one of the mostly well recognised guitars ever, save maybe for the Fender Strat.

In regards for its weight, yes it is heavier than "normal" guitars, but then again you could speculate that other guitars are lighter than it. I find that when I play on it, I feel like Im playing on a guitar that has had so much work being put into it. If you want to thrash about on stage and look a prat, rather than playing well and calmly, then you would probably prefer a lighter guitar.

Finally, some people overlook how good the guitar looks and sounds, and it truly is beautiful in both respects. You must however get a reasonable amp in order to do it justice.

Woah, dont know how I managed to write all that. Well there you go, hope it helps.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by Frostithe
So it does, my mistake. Ah well, I'm replacing my pickups anyway.

The only difference in looks is the binding and the controls. Can you really justify spending £500/$800 on a strip of plastic?

Most people think the standard looks way better. Binding does offer some protection for the guitar. The better controls is a good feature. Better pickups. Most people buying the standard doesn't switch em. Yeah, all in all, the standard is probably worth the money. But so is the studio, so...

This might be my last post as hello kitty btw

I like gibsons.

I have to agree that the studio has MUCH better colors. I love the Alpine White. And the Ebony. The trans black on the Studio+ is quite nice as well.

Although, I seriously doubt that the binding is worth an extra $1000 (the difference in price between Studio and Standard) The flame top also isn't worth that, because the Studio+ has a flame maple top and it's only $1300.

As for the pickups, the Standard does indeed have burstbuckers, but for a couple hundred extra you can get a set and slap them in your Studio. There you go. A guitar that sounds identical to a guitar that's $1000 more. Basically, you can have the same sound, and a still awesome looking guitar for about $1400 USD.

The Standard is a ripoff. Yes, it's a nice guitar, but not $2200 nice.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by notoriousnumber
Les Pauls are viewed by many different people in many ways. This is because it is a fantastic guitar and some people want to find flaws in order to be satisfied with other lower rangers. The LP is one of the most expensive mainstrem guitar you can buy, only top notch Ibanezs, some acoustics and guitars owned by well known people are more than LPs.

The LPs were originally rejected by Gibson, but eventually they gave into Mr Les Paul himself and now they have become one of the mostly well recognised guitars ever, save maybe for the Fender Strat.

In regards for its weight, yes it is heavier than "normal" guitars, but then again you could speculate that other guitars are lighter than it. I find that when I play on it, I feel like Im playing on a guitar that has had so much work being put into it. If you want to thrash about on stage and look a prat, rather than playing well and calmly, then you would probably prefer a lighter guitar.

Finally, some people overlook how good the guitar looks and sounds, and it truly is beautiful in both respects. You must however get a reasonable amp in order to do it justice.

Woah, dont know how I managed to write all that. Well there you go, hope it helps.

Quote by Xenn99
I have to agree that the studio has MUCH better colors. I love the Alpine White. And the Ebony. The trans black on the Studio+ is quite nice as well.

Although, I seriously doubt that the binding is worth an extra $1000 (the difference in price between Studio and Standard) The flame top also isn't worth that, because the Studio+ has a flame maple top and it's only $1300.

As for the pickups, the Standard does indeed have burstbuckers, but for a couple hundred extra you can get a set and slap them in your Studio. There you go. A guitar that sounds identical to a guitar that's $1000 more. Basically, you can have the same sound, and a still awesome looking guitar for about $1400 USD.

The Standard is a ripoff. Yes, it's a nice guitar, but not $2200 nice.

Yup, that's what I've been trying to say. The Standard just doesn't seem worth the money when you can get a Studio that is just as nice (quality wise), or a Epi Elitist. I, too, like the colors of the Studio better than the Standard. I guess I just like plain guitars, lol.

But if you have the money, NEED binding, like the colors of the Standard better, then by all means, get it.
Quote by Xenn99
I don't get why all these people act like they're so heavy...I mean...does everyone here just sit on their ass all day becoming too feeble to support a guitar? It's not like it's 50 pounds, it's 8 pounds. 8 Pounds-except for those few oddball dull sounding ones that are 10-12 pounds, and you don't want one of those anyway.

Seriously people. It's called movement. Do enough of this mystical "movement" stuff, and maybe you won't be winded from letting a guitar hang on your shoulder for two minutes.

most people play guitar for just two minutes now?

it's not that people are out of shape, it's that after a while it starts to hurt your back. hell, an hour with a strat on can get pretty sore too.
Quote by JimmyPageSlash
nice i like how rocker clothes are cheap. im gonna be dressing completely rocker soon

TOOL ALERT
Last edited by freewheelinbird at Jun 4, 2006,
Heavier, fat neck, overly priced, but very cool sounding.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
SG

same as a les paul but WAAAAAAAAAAY easier upper fret access. and they are usually a little cheaper
^WTF?
Errrr...
If you don't know much about a Gibson Les Paul then why get one? Could end up being a waste of money. At least try it out and know why you want one.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
Page 1 of 2