Alright, right now my gear is an Epiphone Les Paul/Yamaha with EMG humbuckers running into a Roland Blues Cube (I have effects, but they are unimportant), and I'm getting a good tone out of them, but I'd like to get a real metal tone out of them. I don't play metal, but I like a real high-gain distorted tone anyways. If I used a compressor, would it help me get a tighter, higher gain sound? Thanks.
i actually just got home from the store, i bought a cs-3 compressor.... i wasnt sure why i bought it actually. but so far ( i have only played it for a few hours so far) i notice that the higher sounds are kinda brought down a bit volume wise...and i can adjust the attack a bit. i can set it up so it seems like it does **** all, but it is pretty cool. its nice that it doesnt blast loud clean notes, kinda makes everything nice and smooth i guess
Slowhand 03/23/07
The UG Eric Clapton Fan Club

PM clapton-floyd to join
Quote by MastaBassist10
Alright, right now my gear is an Epiphone Les Paul/Yamaha with EMG humbuckers running into a Roland Blues Cube (I have effects, but they are unimportant), and I'm getting a good tone out of them, but I'd like to get a real metal tone out of them. I don't play metal, but I like a real high-gain distorted tone anyways. If I used a compressor, would it help me get a tighter, higher gain sound? Thanks.

I use compression as a transparent boost all the time when I want a better attack, but it only raises the gain slightly.
Quote by MastaBassist10
^So will it make my sound heavier/crunchier?

Sorta. I'd recommend the Rocktron Nitro. It's a compressor/booster that compresses and adds up to 22dB of extra gain.