i wanna paint my old strat copy orange (its black now). how should i do it? will spraypaint work? how do i get it to be smooth like when its new?
u first need to remove the finish and paint currently on your strat with sandpaper, although if its a new guitar ull need to have the finish professionally taken off i think, unless you want to literally spend whole nights hand sanding it off. if its nitrocellulose (found on old old guitars, or classic reissues) it should sand off easy enough.

when your strat is back to bare wood, or at least unfinished with the colour on, you can use anything to put a new finish on, providing you end up with whatever you intended, an even coat would make the final finishing easier too. i cant remember what the stuff used nowadays to finish the job, but you can go for a classic feel and use nitrocellulose if you want, but i dont really know where you can get it.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
Last edited by ArcherTheVMan at Jun 3, 2006,
Quote by ArcherTheVMan
u first need to remove the finish and paint currently on your strat with sandpaper, although if its a new guitar ull need to have the finish professionally taken off i think, unless you want to literally spend whole nights hand sanding it off. if its nitrocellulose (found on old old guitars, or classic reissues) it should sand off easy enough.

well u just dont start sanding the finish off

u take laquer thinner and do that

after i believe u can paint over the black (idk about sand papering @ all) and then re-apply the laquer and wait about 2-3 months 2 dry
Quote by Mad Marius
Because there's no point in being on the Internet of you're not gonna act like an arrogant prick.
^ Two or three months to dry? Shoot, I was thinking of getting a Carvin Bolt kit and staining the body myself. Is there any other type of paint or stain that doesn't take that long to dry?
You generally wanna do it in a spray booth. I don't know what that is, but I hear that's the place you wanna do those factory thick laquer coats.
Scuff sand the body with 220 grit sandpaper then go crazy. As for paint stuff like duplicolor or krylon work, but you would get a better finish if you used a nitro lacquer. www.reranch.com sells cans of nitro.

Search through CB&C for more info.
You really should post this in the Gear Building & Customizing forum to ge the best replies.
Alot of the GB&C don't visit the Electric guitar forum regularly and won't see this.
LastFM
my deviantART
Quote by saintjimmy99
thank you kindly. now feel free to put a quote from me in your sig that says whatever you like.